TV: Mr. Robot (USA Network)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Loved what I saw. Only thing I hope they minamilize is the drugs, sex, and Suits-like drama. I would love them to add that component lightly, but focus more on computers and the bigger picture. I also love him being a guy who helps others out.

I just pray it doesn't turn into Suits with the sex and drama. The premise is really cool.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I don't mind the sex and drugs. Brings a different element as opposed to being strictly about computer hacking. A more personal side if you will

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Maybe what I'll say is a bit silly but I thought there was a bit of a Matrix like element in the first episode where Slater's character (Morpheus) tells Elliot : "I'm going to break you out of your prison". Elliot later has to choose between the white folder and the blue fodler (the 2 pills in the Matrix). Planting the false information basically opens up a slightly different world to him. If he hadn't, he could have gone on to lead a "normal" life.

I wonder what Elliot did that lent him to these forced sessions with his psychologist, and what exactly his problem is. They were speaking of delusions and hallucinations, men in black, etc. Elliot himself was wondering if he was schizo at one point.

Although that has been done numerous times before, I also thought it was interesting how they left it up in the air if he might not be hallucinating some things.

Also, Angela had quite the student loan of 200K... jeeze, did she get a PhD at Harvard ?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I liked it quite a bit. Definitely gonna be watching. At least it's on a few times. Damn Masterchef, Big Brother and America's got talent are all on at the same time Wednesday.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Anyone think that the Chinese hacker guy works for Evil Corp and will use the video of Angela to blackmail Elliot into joining Evil corp?

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I understand the bigger picture and storyline, but the second episode was disappointing.

First, I was digging the vigilante style hacking. Those little story lines were killer. They could have taken their time with the evil corp stuff and really introduced the character over season one with doing just that. The focus is solely on drugs, keeping it together, and evil corp. that's a bold move in a show that has two seasons to go.

Second, I hated the push off the ledge part. Good lord was that awful. The second episode was not as strong as the first.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Second episode sucked. If the third episode doesn't pick up the quality, I'm not going to both finishing the season. Anonymous Content bought a lot of loyalty from me with True Detective season 1, but the early returns on Mr. Robot and True Detective season 2 are not encouraging.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Anyone think that the Chinese hacker guy works for Evil Corp and will use the video of Angela to blackmail Elliot into joining Evil corp?

I think so.

I hope it doesn't turn out to be some dream sequence nonsense.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
I was really hoping Mr. Robot wasn't just Elliot's imagination..but it's pretty clear he is and Elliott is actually the leader of Fsociety (split personality disorder). I just didn't want them to go in that direction..its been done so many times already.

I guess we will know for sure next episode since Mr. Robot is in Elliot's office..if on one else acknowledges his existence than he isn't real.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I was really hoping Mr. Robot wasn't just Elliot's imagination..but it's pretty clear he is and Elliott is actually the leader of Fsociety (split personality disorder). I just didn't want them to go in that direction..its been done so many times already.

I guess we will know for sure next episode since Mr. Robot is in Elliot's office..if on one else acknowledges his existence than he isn't real.

Whaaaaaaaat. Didn't even think of that. I was thinking more along the lines that it was him in a coma or something and he was imagining it that way.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Yeah, this is definitely going in the Fight Club direction where Christian Slater isn't real and Elliot is just doing this stuff on his own.

They can impress the hell out of me by swerving this but I'm very skeptical.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Anybody know how many Eps the critics saw?

Personally I don't care if it's got the fight club angle, though I hadn't really thought about it before reading it here. Did seem like some things weren't real though.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If they go the route of everything is from his imagination, that'd be disappointing. In the first episode he alluded to questioning if any of it was real and even asked if we are seeing this. That would be way too obvious and not well hidden.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
So what are you people saying? That he's having an internal conflict about what he's doing but he is Mr. Robot? What does the jumping from the ledge represent then if Christian Slater's character isn't real?

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
So what are you people saying? That he's having an internal conflict about what he's doing but he is Mr. Robot? What does the jumping from the ledge represent then if Christian Slater's character isn't real?

Maybe just wanted to hurt himself to get some drugs now that he locked up his supplier.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I didn't consider the fight club angle but now that someone brought it up and with the clip they showed for the next episode it does make sense. Guess we'll see, I don't mind what way they go if it is done well.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I guess we're seeing this all happen from Elliot's POV, but I can't remember a single time in ep 2 where E-Corp wasn't referred to as Evil Corp -- which leads me to believe that a lot of this is in Elliot's head.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't know how you can't see that angle coming. He literally says so in the first episode. I believe it was something along the lines of "Are you seeing any of this? Is this real?"

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I guess we're seeing this all happen from Elliot's POV, but I can't remember a single time in ep 2 where E-Corp wasn't referred to as Evil Corp -- which leads me to believe that a lot of this is in Elliot's head.

They kind of explained that in the first episode. Elliot automatically associates E-Corp with Evil Corp, to the point where he replaces it without even thinking about it.

But this latest episode definitely solidifies that they're going the Fight Club route. No one interacts with Christian Slater, that bar scene made it really obvious, and it ends with Slater stating "Without you, there is no plan."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad