TV: Mr. Robot (USA Network)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Watched the pilot a week or so ago. While I appreciate a "hacker" show much more grounded in reality than most of Hollywood, it's trying way too hard. It's a masturbatory idealization of Anonymous. I want to like it, but it was often too cringe inducing in just how hard it was trying to appeal to disenfranchised nerds. It just utterly lacks any subtlety.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Watched the pilot a week or so ago. While I appreciate a "hacker" show much more grounded in reality than most of Hollywood, it's trying way too hard. It's a masturbatory idealization of Anonymous. I want to like it, but it was often too cringe inducing in just how hard it was trying to appeal to disenfranchised nerds. It just utterly lacks any subtlety.

Watched it last night, you really nailed it :laugh:
It was still pretty good but I dunno if I can take that over a whole season+

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Not bad at all. The actor who plays the main character is fantastic, though.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Not bad at all. The actor who plays the main character is fantastic, though.

By no stretch of the imagination am I an actor, but I can't imagine it's very difficult to read your lines in monotone and have a blank expression on your face constantly.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I've been thinking of watching it. Good to hear that it's getting some positive feedback so far.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
By no stretch of the imagination am I an actor, but I can't imagine it's very difficult to read your lines in monotone and have a blank expression on your face constantly.

That's like saying it's probably easy to talk and walk like an idiot and win an Oscar or yell silly catch phrases like "Justice!" "I'm not wearing hockey pads!" and make one of the most successful movies of all time. It's easy to do. It's hard to be good at it.

I'm surprised it got a second season after one episode.

Didn't that TWD spinoff get two seasons and there hasn't even been an episode? Might be because of the success of the parent show but yeah.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
That's like saying it's probably easy to talk and walk like an idiot and win an Oscar or yell silly catch phrases like "Justice!" "I'm not wearing hockey pads!" and make one of the most successful movies of all time. It's easy to do. It's hard to be good at it.

Yeah, not at all even remotely similar. :laugh:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Care to elaborate?

Having a constant confused look on your face and one melodramatic sobbing scene is not even remotely as ranged as three feature-length Batman movies, especially considering Bale is essentially playing two different characters. I'm not even that big of a fan of Christian Bale, but making the comparison here is pretty ridiculous. To this point, Elliott is a pretty darn monochromatic character. There's no range, or really any emotion at all, involved. It's a role that Keanu Reaves could play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->