OT: MLB Thread XVI: It's football season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The "bad" Harper of 2016 is still performing at a 5 win season pace with the 19th best OBP (.382) despite having the 4th lowest BABIP in the league while playing hurt for a lot of the season.

Also it's always overlooked but Griffey was very bad defensively for most of his career. It just never gets mentioned because of how great he was for like a five year span. He was not a five tool player for the majority of his career.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
That Ellsbury guy just saved Pineda pitches by robbing Travis of a double in the gap.

Last edited by a moderator:

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
2 HR for Gary Sanchez so far tonight. 4 RBI.

The days of mercenaries stealing Yankee money are going to die a quick and forgetful death.

I'm glad paying luxury tax will also soon be over within two seasons.

I am happy for Didi he was a disaster to start last season and look at him now.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
The "bad" Harper of 2016 is still performing at a 5 win season pace with the 19th best OBP (.382) despite having the 4th lowest BABIP in the league while playing hurt for a lot of the season.

Also it's always overlooked but Griffey was very bad defensively for most of his career. It just never gets mentioned because of how great he was for like a five year span. He was not a five tool player for the majority of his career.

Harper can be as great as he wants the truth is it won't matter. The Yankees won't need him by the time he is a FA. Between Judge, Frazier, Rutherford, McKinney and now Austin you don't know what any of them is going to be but boy so far so good. I wouldn't waste young cost controlled players who can actually hit for power for someone else's expensive and problematic already established superstar who will want a ridiculous contract. NO. I don't want to see Harper. Overpay all you want for pitching but develop your own players who will actually come up with a Yankee discipline and love that none of these mercenaries have for the pinstripes despite what they say to the media.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
26 years old. Harper will be 26 years old in 2018. A proven star in this league who is a big yankees fan. Wants to be a Yankee. Plays hard every pitch. Cant wait to add him to what will already be a talented team.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Man I loathe Joe Girardi with the highest burning passion. I don't know why this bum is still the manager. Torre took a lot more heat than this idiot for a lot less.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The Yankees have a bad game where the bullpen unusually blows up even though it has been very good all year

=

Girardi is a bum.

Love it. Cant make this stuff up.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
The Yankees have a bad game where the bullpen unusually blows up even though it has been very good all year

=

Girardi is a bum.

Love it. Cant make this stuff up.

There would be about 10 teams tripping over themselves to hire Girardi if he became available.
And the Mets would be #1 on that list

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I think a vote for Harper is a vote for the Mark Texeiras, Arods, Giambis, Gary Sheffields, Jacoby Ellsburys of the world. That guy will not possibly live up to his contract. He is already showing decline from his unsustainable season last year. I don't want us to have egg in our face again being the stupid team that gives him a 500 million dollar contract to buy 30 HRs a year with 100 rbi's. For that kind of money I need 50+ HRs with 130+ rbis and mvp seasons with some gold gloves in there. THAT is a 500 million dollar player. We know he is realistically not going to do that. And quite frankly that kind of money is just excessively ridiculous at this point after all the bad contracts they have handed out. Think about it right now we are paying Jacoby Ellsbury 22 million a year for good defense, guaranteed injury time off per season, 10 HR's if that, and 60-70 rbis if that. Ridiculous. We can get that out one of the kids that just came up. Harper is not a generational player like Arod or Barry Bonds who in their prime would have commanded that kind of excessive money. This guy is more like the Giambis of the world, good, even really good, but not worth the contract the market and the media will say he commands. If he signs for a reasonable number I would sign him. But I would not pay him that kind of money and then put us in a spot where we need to subsidize the league again paying luxury tax like fools. At least I rest easy knowing Hal Steinbrenner isnt his dad and hopefully has realized the Yankees have been stupid the last 15 years. They bought the 2009 world series but at what cost when the business plan of your franchise is to increase its value by winning championships? Because that is the difference between the Yankees as a baseball corporation and then every other team in baseball. To the Yankees its not about oh I hope I win this year. To the Yankees its about I am investing in winning because that is my business. My business is to win the world series every ****ing year. And to do that you need to be smart and control cost and develop your own players and then add some free agents in weak spots. But it requires a disciplined plan with a dogma that every player has since they start at a young age, something a mercenary cannot possibly acquire or even understand. I would spend all the money in the world and bring in every mercenary pitcher in the universe because pitching is the name of the game and you cant win with that or get a quick fix for it. And while pitchers influence the game a whole lot more than any position, aces are very hard to come by and they play every fifth day. They are not in the grind every day like the rest of your team and position players. Right now the pitching future picture of the Yankees looks bleak in the prospect pool. You never know who emerges but I am not holding my breath. The positional potential is off the charts with some legitimate offensive talent in almost every position on the field save third base. It's a no brainer who we should overpay for. Its the Jose Fernadezes and the Clayton kershaws of the world. I would even overpay for Matt Harvey at this point. That said I am very high on James Kaprielin and Nolan Martinez who we just drafted. Gotta love those California pitchers.

Last edited:

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I know it's Las Vegas, but last night Nimmo + Conforto went a combined 7/12 with 3 HR, 6 RBI, and 5 runs.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Harper is already showing "unsustainable decline" from his age 22/23 season to his age 23/24 season...

That is all I had to read in that perfectly spaced out and legible novel smushed into one paragraph. The rest, I realized after that, was not worth reading.

Just to put how wonderfully thought out that post was into perspective, Harper is showing decline at 23 years old, but yet the "kids" this poster is clamoring for playing time in Judge and Austin are both 24 years old just breaking into the league with just under a week of experience. Yep theyre older than Harper, but Harper is the one who is starting to decline even tho he has almost 2200 ABs, over 100 HR and over 300 RBIs already.

Truly appreciate when people choose to avoid making stuff up that they have no idea about.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Bullpen was good until the Yanks traded 2 key pieces of it.

What are the odds the Yanks make the playoffs now vs the odds had they kept 1 or both of Miller and Chapman?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Bullpen was good until the Yanks traded 2 key pieces of it.

What are the odds the Yanks make the playoffs now vs the odds had they kept 1 or both of Miller and Chapman?

Actually there odds have gone up...

They were at a 7% odds of making it before the trade deadline.

Going into last nights game they were at 10%.

And to be honest Clippard and Warren (especially Warren until last night) had been pretty lights out. They might not be hitting 99mph on the gun but they have been getting the job done.

They have not only been able to maintain a very good bullpen with great moves by Cash getting Clippard and Warren but they got top of the line prospects and have now brought up young hitters that are mashing and other teams are wishing they had the rights too.

So theres that

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Actually there odds have gone up...

They were at a 7% odds of making it before the trade deadline.

Going into last nights game they were at 10%.

And to be honest Clippard and Warren (especially Warren until last night) had been pretty lights out. They might not be hitting 99mph on the gun but they have been getting the job done.

They have not only been able to maintain a very good bullpen with great moves by Cash getting Clippard and Warren but they got top of the line prospects and have now brought up young hitters that are mashing and other teams are wishing they had the rights too.

So theres that

I think the odds change is more to do with the yankees recent play rather than anything else. I'm certainly not saying the trades were not good ones, but I think it'd be ironic if the yanks missed the playoffs because of their pen. I realize last night was just one game but time will tell if austin sanchez and judge can maintain their level of play.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think the odds change is more to do with the yankees recent play rather than anything else. I'm certainly not saying the trades were not good ones, but I think it'd be ironic if the yanks missed the playoffs because of their pen. I realize last night was just one game but time will tell if austin sanchez and judge can maintain their level of play.

I think their pen and the three prospects have nothing to do with each other.

If they dont make the playoffs, so be it.

But the pen has not been a problem for the last two weeks since the deadline.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Harper can be as great as he wants the truth is it won't matter. The Yankees won't need him by the time he is a FA. Between Judge, Frazier, Rutherford, McKinney and now Austin you don't know what any of them is going to be but boy so far so good. I wouldn't waste young cost controlled players who can actually hit for power for someone else's expensive and problematic already established superstar who will want a ridiculous contract. NO. I don't want to see Harper. Overpay all you want for pitching but develop your own players who will actually come up with a Yankee discipline and love that none of these mercenaries have for the pinstripes despite what they say to the media.

You do realize none of those players are projected to be superstars, right?

But I guess this is Hockey's Future.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
You do realize none of those players are projected to be superstars, right?

But I guess this is Hockey's Future.

What?! Seriously?! Are you blind?!!! Tell me you haven't seen Gary Sanchez, Greg Bird and Aaron Judge already and tell me they don't have all star potential. Just try to tell me they don't. Sanchez with another homer today. That is 6 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad