OT: MLB Thread XVI: It's football season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Power hitters are hard to come by. Especially right handed power hitters who can go the opposite way. Francesca said it not me but he's right. The Yankees have 3 potential 25hr guys [Sanchez, Austin, Frazier] and 2 potential 35+ HR guys [Judge + Bird]. Three of them are already in the lineup. One is injured and the other one is Frazier. Harper who?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Power hitters are hard to come by. Especially right handed power hitters who can go the opposite way. Francesca said it not me but he's right. The Yankees have 3 potential 25hr guys [Sanchez, Austin, Frazier] and 2 potential 35+ HR guys [Judge + Bird]. Three of them are already in the lineup. One is injured and the other one is Frazier. Harper who?

I would like to know what the cons are to adding Harper to that? Enlighten me.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dominic Smith went 3-5 and was a triple short of the cycle last night for Binghamton...extended hitting streak to 12 games. and Peter Alonso continues to rake, .368 in his last 10 and a .969 OPS since joining Brooklyn.

I would skip him over AAA. I don't like LV. Pitchers and hitters learn very little there because of the environment. Its too much of an extreme hitting environment.

Call him up to the majors. Give him some AB's for the rest of the season to see if he's ready for the team to plan around him at 1B. If he is, maybe they non-tender Duda. If not, you bring Duda back.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
Yankee fans need to settle down because you sound like us Mets fans last year when we were pounding our chests about our young power Pitchers and going to the World Series for the next 5 years...Nothing is a given and you certainly shouldnt start predicting 35 homers for kids who dont even have 50 ab in the league...

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Yankee fans need to settle down because you sound like us Mets fans last year when we were pounding our chests about our young power Pitchers and going to the World Series for the next 5 years...Nothing is a given and you certainly shouldnt start predicting 35 homers for kids who dont even have 50 ab in the league...

No we don't. Just because your kids are hurt doesn't stop meaning a spade is a spade.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I so knew that Ellsbury and Headley were not going to push that run through. Watching anyone not a rookie on the Yankees at this point makes me sick. I stopped watching this year until now and can't imagine how unwatchable this must have been. Too many guys hovering around the Mendoza line but I am not surprised. How is someone like Austin not getting good at bats right now over someone like Tex who is clearly FINISHED? And then seeing that fat **** McCann almost die of a heart attack and not be able to get around third makes me worse. And someone explain to me how Ellsbury was ever an MVP runner up? I don't see anything about him that would indicate he is even a very good player.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
I would like to know what the cons are to adding Harper to that? Enlighten me.

If you can home grow a Toronto type lineup I would rather spend 300 million on some top of the rotation pitching.
Harper is filled with bad habits and a big head.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Another bases loaded situation and the Mets will have nothing to show for it.

I hate that I'm looking right with that Jay Bruce-Eric Staal comparison.

The Mets are so frustrating to watch.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I so knew that Ellsbury and Headley were not going to push that run through. Watching anyone not a rookie on the Yankees at this point makes me sick. I stopped watching this year until now and can't imagine how unwatchable this must have been. Too many guys hovering around the Mendoza line but I am not surprised. How is someone like Austin not getting good at bats right now over someone like Tex who is clearly FINISHED? And then seeing that fat **** McCann almost die of a heart attack and not be able to get around third makes me worse. And someone explain to me how Ellsbury was ever an MVP runner up? I don't see anything about him that would indicate he is even a very good player.

You really need to calm down. You cant field a roster of rookies. You need veterans to teach them and help them. There has to be a mixture.

Tex's fielding % is over .960. He has been incredible in the field and why he continues to play. The team is try to compete for that second wild card spot. You dont think Austin could learn something from Tex?

Questioning Ellsbury and how he couldve ever been an MVP runner up is pathetic. You dont watch baseball (oh wait you just admitted this...). You only watch when the team fits your fancy. Ellsbury was unbelievable in the year he was the MVP runner up. He is still a good OF and he patrols it well. He hasnt been hitting over .300, he has been streaky, but he still has something to offer to this lineup and defense.

Please quit your ranting, it looks childish and ignorant.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
If you can home grow a Toronto type lineup I would rather spend 300 million on some top of the rotation pitching.

The yankees will have the money to spend on a top of the line starter and Harper.

Would love to know what bad habis Harper is "filled with". Please show me the list.

I think people too often mistake how hard he plays the game and how much he wants to win with him having a "big head." He is a gamer. 5-tool player.

If he is available then you sign him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Another bases loaded situation and the Mets will have nothing to show for it.

I hate that I'm looking right with that Jay Bruce-Eric Staal comparison.

The Mets are so frustrating to watch.

I think the Staal trade is much worse. An extra year of control for Bruce, and the Mets had a much bigger prospect pool than the Rangers, so giving up Herrera and Wotell isn't as bad as giving up Saarela+2 end's.

I agree that Bruce has struggled. I think our offense has been better recently. Bart had a pretty uncharacteristic game for how he's pitched most of the season, the defense didn't help, and I still think the bullpen isn't that good outside of Reed and Familia.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
You really need to calm down. You cant field a roster of rookies. You need veterans to teach them and help them. There has to be a mixture.

Tex's fielding % is over .960. He has been incredible in the field and why he continues to play. The team is try to compete for that second wild card spot. You dont think Austin could learn something from Tex?

Questioning Ellsbury and how he couldve ever been an MVP runner up is pathetic. You dont watch baseball (oh wait you just admitted this...). You only watch when the team fits your fancy. Ellsbury was unbelievable in the year he was the MVP runner up. He is still a good OF and he patrols it well. He hasnt been hitting over .300, he has been streaky, but he still has something to offer to this lineup and defense.

Please quit your ranting, it looks childish and ignorant.

I could care less about the Boston Red Sox. I am a Yankee fan. And in three season he has done absolutely NOTHING for this team. NOTHING!

The fact you want another mercenary like Harper tells me all I need to know about you btw. Another typical Yankee fan who thinks he knows anything about baseball yet supports the same mistakes this team has made over and over and over again in the last 15 years.

I never missed a game since 1995 to about 2012. Can you say the same? I haven't watched as much in the last 4 years because I work most times the Yankees play and I cut the chord but I have always checked the scoreboard.

P.S. I can say whatever I want without violating the terms of use. If you don't like it tough. There is an ignore button.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009

What bad habits?

I love when people make stuff up about Harper.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
The yankees will have the money to spend on a top of the line starter and Harper.

Would love to know what bad habis Harper is "filled with". Please show me the list.

I think people too often mistake how hard he plays the game and how much he wants to win with him having a "big head." He is a gamer. 5-tool player.

If he is available then you sign him.

528 strike outs in 616 games. There's a hole in that swing. 52 stolen bases in that same time frame doesn't quite say speed as a 5 tool player. He's hitting .234 this year. That leaves power, and his arm. Which isn't much of a help considering he is a +.9 defensive WAR for his career. So he's what a 2 tool player this year?

He had an all time great season last year. But, he's got to consistently do it. Maybe I'm a hater, but he's gotta prove a bit more than one great year.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Harper has .239 BABIP. That is not sustainable.

Strike out issues? His K-rate is down for the second season in a row now.

Clearly a down season for Harper.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
And people do realize when you are considered a 5 tool player it DOESN'T mean you have 5 plus tools. Above average tools fall into the category. Harper's speed is his above average tool. Also judging it by stolen bases? Really? There's more to it than that. Harper is a very good base runner but some teams run more than others.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Geez let's pump the breaks abit. History will show probably 2 out of those 5 will be underwhelming players.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
And people do realize when you are considered a 5 tool player it DOESN'T mean you have 5 plus tools. Above average tools fall into the category. Harper's speed is his above average tool. Also judging it by stolen bases? Really? There's more to it than that. Harper is a very good base runner but some teams run more than others.

You are insulting the Mays', Griffey's of the world. Harper's defense is average at best. His speed is average - above average, and his average this year is below average. He's elite in power and arm.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
You are insulting the Mays', Griffey's of the world. Harper's defense is average at best. His speed is average - above average, and his average this year is below average. He's elite in power and arm.

Do you have anything to back this up or you just gonna go with 'because i say so'?

Harper hits for average based on narrowly missing out on batting title last season. Hits for power based on 40+ HRs last season. Only 2 RFs this season have better UZR/150 than Harper so I'm not sure where you are getting this average at best defensively. Above average arm (5 assists this season). Fangraphs rate him as above average runner. There's more to base running than stolen base totals.

You should watch some Nats games.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I could care less about the Boston Red Sox. I am a Yankee fan. And in three season he has done absolutely NOTHING for this team. NOTHING!

The fact you want another mercenary like Harper tells me all I need to know about you btw. Another typical Yankee fan who thinks he knows anything about baseball yet supports the same mistakes this team has made over and over and over again in the last 15 years.

I never missed a game since 1995 to about 2012. Can you say the same? I haven't watched as much in the last 4 years because I work most times the Yankees play and I cut the chord but I have always checked the scoreboard.

P.S. I can say whatever I want without violating the terms of use. If you don't like it tough. There is an ignore button.

I dont even know where to begin to respond to this nonsensical post.

Did I ask you to care about the Red Sox? Nope. I did not. But I will ask you to refrain from acting like you know what you are talking about when you don't. That is fine if you didn't watch OR pay attention during the 19 times a year the yankees played the red sox to see what type of player Ellsbury was. But don't come on here and ***** and moan about a subject/topic you clearly have no understanding of.

Typical yankee fan? Because I advocate for adding one superstar player? Who has a 5 tool game regardles if each tool is not A++. He will be 26 years old when he hits free agency. 26. This isnt some over the hill "mercenary" signing. He hit 42 HR last year and 99 RBI. He has been a little banged up this year and still has 20HR and 59RBI. Plays hard every single pitch. Yeah we shouldnt be interested in people like that...

Watching every single game doesnt mean you understand the game of baseball or have a grip on evaluating player talent. You just admitted you have basically stopped watching since 2012. You only check the scoreboard. Which means you only look at stat lines hence your ranting about Ellsbury, Tex, etc. Essentially you have barely seen Ellsbury play as a yankee because he signed here after you stopped watching...you dont watch, you dont understand, so stop the complaining.

Say whatever you want. Dont be surprised when people here who watch and understand the game refute your incoherent rambling.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I think the Staal trade is much worse. An extra year of control for Bruce, and the Mets had a much bigger prospect pool than the Rangers, so giving up Herrera and Wotell isn't as bad as giving up Saarela+2 end's.

I agree that Bruce has struggled. I think our offense has been better recently. Bart had a pretty uncharacteristic game for how he's pitched most of the season, the defense didn't help, and I still think the bullpen isn't that good outside of Reed and Familia.

I agree I don't see how the stall trade is any way analogous to the bruce trade. That said I've been thinking about some of the similarities between the brass and bruce (from the reds perspective) trades.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
Do you have anything to back this up or you just gonna go with 'because i say so'?

Harper hits for average based on narrowly missing out on batting title last season. Hits for power based on 40+ HRs last season. Only 2 RFs this season have better UZR/150 than Harper so I'm not sure where you are getting this average at best defensively. Above average arm (5 assists this season). Fangraphs rate him as above average runner. There's more to base running than stolen base totals.

You should watch some Nats games.

Oh I get it now. I'm judging the Harper of 2016. And you are judging the Harper of 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad