OT: MLB Thread XVI: It's football season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
What?! Seriously?! Are you blind?!!! Tell me you haven't seen Gary Sanchez, Greg Bird and Aaron Judge already and tell me they don't have all star potential. Just try to tell me they don't. Sanchez with another homer today. That is 6 now.

Bird looked good last year. Sanchez, Judge, Austin all just got here let's not get ahead of ourselves. Their all riding the high of being in the MLB, let's wait until they each have triple digit at bats and teams have a book on them. They all look great now but they wouldn't be the first MLB prospects to start off hot around the deadline/roster expansion than start the next season and fall flat on their faces. Like SA16 said above, definitely hard to make a judgement either way right now but the future sure looks bright.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Bird looked good last year. Sanchez, Judge, Austin all just got here let's not get ahead of ourselves. Their all riding the high of being in the MLB, let's wait until they each have triple digit at bats and teams have a book on them. They all look great now but they wouldn't be the first MLB prospects to start off hot around the deadline/roster expansion than start the next season and fall flat on their faces. Like SA16 said above, definitely hard to make a judgement either way right now but the future sure looks bright.
Its all about living in the now. Living in the hype. Didn't you know?

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Michael Conforto is a good example of why a half season plus even a great April the following season doesn't mean the guy is a sure-fire star.

The Yankees big prospects have had one week. 2-3 weeks in Sanchez's case.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Well its a good thing certain posters are not running the Yankees. I am glad Cashman has learned his lesson and realized how his 4 time world series champions were created. From within and with solid players in FA. And how it was destroyed, by bringing in the Giambis and Arods of the world in exchange for not playing defense, situational baseball and having good chemistry. I know a lot of people here want to sign the next AROD already but I am positive the Yankees have learned a big lesson and won't sign Harper.

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yea coming from the guy claiming Harper at age 23 is declining.

Laughable. Only laughable.

So shameful it was acquirin ARod and having him power us to a world series in 2009...

How much more spoiled can you make yankees fans look?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Harper is not "declining" but it's also extremely unlikely he'll ever have a season again as good last last year. There's only been 3 higher WAR seasons in the last 10 years two of which are Trout and one of which was 2007 Arod. There have been zero seasons with a higher wRC+ than his last year in that same time frame.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Just because the Yankees have dialed back the payroll the past two years still doesn't convince me their not going to take a run at Harper and jack the payroll back up. The Steinbrenners didn't have a problem paying the luxury tax when the team was winning, they'll go back to it. Not saying Harper is the best idea but let's not make him out to not be one of the best players in baseball and kick dirt on what he'll continue to be in the future. If Harper signs a blank check and carries us to another pennant ala arod sign me up. Until Judge, Frazier, McKinney, Rutherford prove to be better than him I wouldn't take the option off the table. Hopefully Judge and Frazier are our corners OF's for a long time. Cashman ran this team with a huge payroll for a while, the money isn't gone, he'll get back to it to compliment the young talent it looks like we'll have across the board.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
What?! Seriously?! Are you blind?!!! Tell me you haven't seen Gary Sanchez, Greg Bird and Aaron Judge already and tell me they don't have all star potential. Just try to tell me they don't. Sanchez with another homer today. That is 6 now.

Pump the brakes man. Just enjoy what these guys are doing.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
Well its a good thing certain posters are not running the Yankees. I am glad Cashman has learned his lesson and realized how his 4 time world series champions were created. From within and with solid players in FA. And how it was destroyed, by bringing in the Giambis and Arods of the world in exchange for not playing defense, situational baseball and having good chemistry. I know a lot of people here want to sign the next AROD already but I am positive the Yankees have learned a big lesson and won't sign Harper.

Yeah I'm glad you're not running the Yankees.

If you have a chance to get someone like Bryce Harper why would you not supplement the good young hitters we already have with another one.

Why exactly do they have to be mutually exclusive?

C - Sanchez
1B - Bird
2B - Castro/Didi
SS - Torres
3B - ?
LF - Judge
CF - Frazier
RF - Harper

That's potentially filth if these kids continue to pan out.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yeah I'm glad you're not running the Yankees.

If you have a chance to get someone like Bryce Harper why would you not supplement the good young hitters we already have with another one.

Why exactly do they have to be mutually exclusive?

C - Sanchez
1B - Bird
2B - Castro/Didi
SS - Torres
3B - ?
LF - Judge
CF - Frazier
RF - Harper

That's potentially filth if these kids continue to pan out.

Mateo/Torres move to 2B/3B imo.

And theres also Tyler Austin. Who could become trade bait.

They package Castro with maybe a guy like Mckinney/Rutherford for a starter. The other of the two OF rotates between 4th OF and DH.

But thats assuming everyone of those guys have value and/or stays healthy. Thats why you sign free agents to mix in.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Yea if you're plan is to have six prospect type guys come up and fill in a spot it's probably not going to work. MLB Bust rate is too high.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
But my point still stands, even if some (or most) don't pan out why would you not try and add Harper to that mix. Growing prospects and signing free agents don't have to be mutually exclusive.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Loney is seriously bad. He's not good defensively. He has no power. He rarely walks. Can't hit lefties at all. All he does is not strikeout and hit singles which is atrocious for a 1B. He is actually one of the bigger problems on the team as the difference between the production from him and an average 1B is huge. He's basically left handed Yonder Alonso.

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
But my point still stands, even if some (or most) don't pan out why would you not try and add Harper to that mix. Growing prospects and signing free agents don't have to be mutually exclusive.

People talk all the time about the "Core Four" but yet there was 21 other spots on those rosters from 96-09, with a handful of other players on the 40 man roster. They were certainly not all developed from within.

We added guys like Wells, Cone, Clemens, El Duque, Tino, Cecil, Strawberry, Justice, Davis, Hayes, Knoblauch, Girardi, Leyritz, and countless others that came from other organizations and contributed to those World Series.

Contracts are just more inflated now. Dont be so naive to not realize a guy like Clemens woulvde commanded millions had he be hitting the market like Kershaw was about to and Jose Fernandez could potentially do.

People just cry murder over ARod because he happened to be the one who started that change where contracts became incredibly inflated. And wasnt even the Yankees who handed him his first contact!

The guy even tried to cut his salary to become a member of the Red Sox and the players union stopped him. Then what was he gona do in his next contract? Take a humongous discount against the norm trend of contracts being handed out? There is life after baseball. He has two daughters. I dont blame the guy. Yankees fans act as if they paid him out of their wallet. No, sorry, the Steinbrenners did. And you know what he provides with us with a world series in 09. And for that I will always be thankful.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Mateo/Torres move to 2B/3B imo.

And theres also Tyler Austin. Who could become trade bait.

They package Castro with maybe a guy like Mckinney/Rutherford for a starter. The other of the two OF rotates between 4th OF and DH.

But thats assuming everyone of those guys have value and/or stays healthy. Thats why you sign free agents to mix in.

It's early yet (obviously), but Rutherford has one of the sweetest strokes I've ever seen - just gorgeous. Also, he's a lefty, and the Yankee prospects outside of Bird are suddenly WAAAY heavy on the righties, which is odd for a team that plays at Yankee stadium. (In addition, he's played mostly CF since he signed, so it's not like he's an all bat, no glove prospect.) My bet is he winds up staying. Not sure what the corresponding move is, as I agree that they Yanks and Harper seem destined for each other, and obviously that leaves them with too many OF. Maybe they deal Frazier? Maybe someone moves to the infield?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Loney is seriously bad. He's not good defensively. He has no power. He rarely walks. Can't hit lefties at all. All he does is not strikeout and hit singles which is atrocious for a 1B. He is actually one of the bigger problems on the team as the difference between the production from him and an average 1B is huge. He's basically left handed Yonder Alonso.

Doesn't matter. Terry Collins is a fan.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Mateo is switching to Second Base. Some think he can play third. The Yanks have a young prospect named Miguel Andujar who many project to be another good hitter and he is a third baseman. Also, I really wish they would convert Austin into a third baseman as well. Also, if Harper played third I wouldn't care if we signed him. I wouldn't care if he signed and we didn't have outfield prospects that had great potential. But a guy like Harper will make us trade or sit one of Frazier or Judge and that **** just makes me upset to even contemplate. He might even block Rutherford or get him traded so the Yanks can jump on him early. All kinds of stuff can happen. Like you guys are right maybe all these Yankee prospects are **** and not "projected" to be allstars. You know who else was not projected to be anything? Just about every Yankee prospect since Jeter which of course turned out to be absolute horse manure as evidenced by guys like Betances, Gardner, Cano, Melancon, Robertson and the list goes on and on. You would think Redsox America, sorry Baseball America would be out of business by now. Quite frankly I'd rather have Mike Trout if you insist on getting someone and we have to trade some of these guys. I'd rather trade the infielders than the outfielders at this point. I feel Trout is a better player than Harper. It's still two years away. Anything can happen. For all we know all of them could be out of the league by then.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Mateo is switching to Second Base. Some think he can play third. The Yanks have a young prospect named Miguel Andujar who many project to be another good hitter and he is a third baseman. Also, I really wish they would convert Austin into a third baseman as well. Also, if Harper played third I wouldn't care if we signed him. I wouldn't care if he signed and we didn't have outfield prospects that had great potential. But a guy like Harper will make us trade or sit one of Frazier or Judge and that **** just makes me upset to even contemplate. He might even block Rutherford or get him traded so the Yanks can jump on him early. All kinds of stuff can happen. Like you guys are right maybe all these Yankee prospects are **** and not "projected" to be allstars. You know who else was not projected to be anything? Just about every Yankee prospect since Jeter which of course turned out to be absolute horse manure as evidenced by guys like Betances, Gardner, Cano, Melancon, Robertson and the list goes on and on. You would think Redsox America, sorry Baseball America would be out of business by now. Quite frankly I'd rather have Mike Trout if you insist on getting someone and we have to trade some of these guys. I'd rather trade the infielders than the outfielders at this point. I feel Trout is a better player than Harper. It's still two years away. Anything can happen. For all we know all of them could be out of the league by then.

He's got the arm to play 3B but you really want him playing 2B/SS. Traditionally you want more pop out of 3B position.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY

A few of my buddies who have played high level ball told me that it often happens that guys get more opportunities because they have the "look" of a ball player. More applicable to the collegiate level of course, but Loney certainly looks like a ball player.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I think it's the average and strikeouts. Managers love hitters who "put the ball in play" even if it's a complete empty batting average. Same thing for guys who are sure handed but suck defensively because they have no range.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Loney has been really bad for about a month now. Duda out for the season though. Jon Niese is also really bad, but Zack Wheeler is done too.

What do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad