OT: MLB Thread XVI: It's football season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
McCann is hot garbage. Whatever trade value he had before the deadline is surely gone by now. Should've traded him last season.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He's really taking out Syndergaard for Familia here? At 98 pitches facing the 8-9-1 in the order? Just what we need - FAmilia to come in and start walking the ballpark.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's really taking out Syndergaard for Familia here? At 98 pitches facing the 8-9-1 in the order? Just what we need - FAmilia to come in and start walking the ballpark.

Fam got the save.

I agree with you though. Bad decision. Even when the decision works, TC finds a way to make really dumb decisions almost every game.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
What's most impressive is that his defense has been just as good as his offense. He's just nuts right now.

I didn't realize he has the pop he does. I heard he was a great defensive catcher, I didn't realize he also had great offense. I saw him throw out that one guy like a week ago, right on the line and beat the runner by a lot. He has an absolute cannon, just a wicked arm behind the plate.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
I didn't realize he has the pop he does. I heard he was a great defensive catcher, I didn't realize he also had great offense. I saw him throw out that one guy like a week ago, right on the line and beat the runner by a lot. He has an absolute cannon, just a wicked arm behind the plate.

Actually, he's always been known for his offensive ability. He's also always had a great arm but he's really improved as a receiver and blocker in the last couple seasons. He's battled some immaturity issues in his earlier years but has seemed to really matured and taken his overall game to the next level.

It's awesome to see. He's doing what Jesus Montero never could.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Actually its the opposite. His bat has always been good. When they signed him at 16 they werent sure his defense would catch up to his bat. They thought they would have to transition him to another position.

He has been something special.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
And just like that the Yankees bullpen gives it right back.

Why Girardi??? Why bring in Swarzak who has given up 9 homeruns in 27 appearances before coming in.

Pineda was at 83 pitches. It was his game to lose at this point. Swarzak has been awful.

Now theyre gona have to hope for some more magic from Sanchez/Castro.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Need 2 out of 3 in STL

1 of 3 keeps them alive with their .320 winning percentage schedule down the stretch. The Cardinals have yet to prove they can keep anything going this year. Every time they go on a run they follow it up with a bad stretch. I think at this point the Cards/Mets are the only legit threats for Wildcard 2. I don't expect Pitt/Mia to hang around much longer.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
What's most impressive is that his defense has been just as good as his offense. He's just nuts right now.

His defense has improved so much that he's actually average defensively.

The bat was always there.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

It was the other way around. Bat and power were there but there were questions whether he was good enough to stick behind the plate. Those were legit concerns too. Kudos to the kid on busting his ass and improving.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
His defense has improved so much that he's actually average defensively.

The bat was always there.

For whatever these things are worth, he was actually rated the best defensive catcher in the International League this season by Baseball America. And I can see why since he's been called up. He's no liability back there and has a cannon for an arm. Combine that with his offense....just stay healthy and hungry Sanchez(hungry to improve, not the Jesus Montero eat yourself out of a career hungry).

darko

Feb 16, 2009
For whatever these things are worth, he was actually rated the best defensive catcher in the International League this season by Baseball America. And I can see why since he's been called up. He's no liability back there and has a cannon for an arm. Combine that with his offense....just stay healthy and hungry Sanchez(hungry to improve, not the Jesus Montero eat yourself out of a career hungry).

Oh nice, didn't know he was rated tops in IL.

Lol @ Montero. Whata waste of talent.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
darko answered my question in another thread, but I figured I might as well post it here as well. What does everyone think of Syndergaard's chances to win the Cy Young?

In December, I predicted that Thor would win the Cy Young this season. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=110933185&postcount=532

If you really consider the NL Cy Young contenders, he's right there for the Cy Young with Fernandez and Bumgarner. Kershaw could be right there as well, but he might not get many votes because of how much time he's missed. With a good September from Noah, even if its just a consolation prize for likely not making the playoffs, we could have a pitcher who won the Cy Young in his age 23/24 season.

I figure this is a pretty good case for the Cy Young.

Last edited:

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Kyle Hendricks?
Jake Arieta?
Jon Lester?
Tanner Roark?
Johnny Cueto?

I don't see much of a case for THor unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad