OT: MLB Thread XVI: It's football season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
to put it in perspective for Mets fans...in 1985, the single greatest season in mets pitching occured (imho) where Dwight Gooden did his best impersionation of God. in 276.2 innings he gave up 47 earned runs....

or in less than double of the POST SEASON innings Mo has had in his career, he gave up 4 times as many runs....again, against National League hitters...with a pitcher batting....and in the regular season.

In my personal opinion, anyone who doesnt thing Mariano Rivera is one of the greatest pitchers of all time is either a flat out Hater...too young to appreciate what he did....flat out didn't watch him...or is...well...i dunno...crazy?

You can't compare it this way. Pitching 1 or 2 innings at a time for 140 innings is not the same as pitching 7-9 innings at a time for 280 innings. You can go all out effort in short spurts like that. You don't have to worry about mixing up your pitches as much. You don't go through the order multiple times (this is one of the reasons relieving is so much easier. First time through the order pitchers pitch way better than their ability and third time way worse. It's why the best starter in the league this year has a 1.79 (and his ERA is an outlier to the rest of the league being an all time great and all) and there are 8 relievers with better ERA's then that. The second best starter ERA this year is 2.11 and there are 22 goals equal or better in relief - many of whom are complete no names. Since 2013 deGrom has a 2.52 ERA which is second best in the league (miles behind number 1 Kershaw) and in the same time frame 24 relief pitchers have been equal or better topped by Wade Davis' 1.08 ERA in 183 innings.

And @Broadway - relief pitching is important and even more so now with the specialization. What I'm saying is it is easy to find a good one. As darko said look at the Yankees since Rivera left? Miller and Betances two of the best in the game and these guys were both failed starting pitcher prospects. Their impact is just not that great in general but yes it is good to have good ones. Take every 5th starter in the league and then them into a RP and you'll get a bunch of great ones. Take every closer in the league and turn them into a starter and you won't get many good ones. Which pitchers have successfully converted from RP to SP in recent years. Colby Lewis and CJ Wilson?

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
They were saying in the pregame that Judge has not been thrown any fastballs in the last two seasons in the minors.

Wouldn't be able to tell you exact percentage but i can tell you it's low for 2 reasons. He crushes fastballs and is susceptible against breaking pitches.

Another guy who was similar going through minors was Giancarlo Stanton. If he can improve against breaking pitches he can be Stanton-lite type. Judge's big challenge will come when major league pitchers make adjustments against him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Mets have played better the last two games. The rotation is still throwing well, despite all the injuries, and I think the infield doesn't seem to be playing so badly recently. What worries me is the outfield. Granderson is close to DFA territory. He's so bad. He's almost an automatic 0 for with a strikeout or two every game. Bruce has been disappointing as a Met. De Aza has reverted to his pre-July form. Why is Ty Kelly getting AB's in the outfield? Why is Conforto sitting in AAA when we have so many outfielders playing poorly? Granderson plays every day but Conforto can't? At least Cespedes should be returning soon. Getting Lagares back would also help.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
The Mets have played better the last two games. The rotation is still throwing well, despite all the injuries, and I think the infield doesn't seem to be playing so badly recently. What worries me is the outfield. Granderson is close to DFA territory. He's so bad. He's almost an automatic 0 for with a strikeout or two every game. Bruce has been disappointing as a Met. De Aza has reverted to his pre-July form. Why is Ty Kelly getting AB's in the outfield? Why is Conforto sitting in AAA when we have so many outfielders playing poorly? Granderson plays every day but Conforto can't? At least Cespedes should be returning soon. Getting Lagares back would also help.

Lagares is out for the season

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
I used to talk so much **** about the Yankees about how they buy their rings (I'm a Mets fan) but oh boy, they have such a young core. I never felt so jealous of another organization. I could careless about the past and anout their 27 rings, I'm all about the future. But man the Yankees have something to look forward for

It's funny you would think Met fans would wish they were Yankee fans the past 15 years, I wasn't one of them when they were dominate. Now this is when I wish I was a Yankees fan LOL

They do a better job than the Mets rebuilding just in one year compared to the Mets rebuilding the last 8 years FFS

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I used to talk so much **** about the Yankees about how they buy their rings (I'm a Mets fan) but oh boy, they have such a young core. I never felt so jealous of another organization. I could careless about the past and anout their 27 rings, I'm all about the future. But man the Yankees have something to look forward for

It's funny you would think Met fans would wish they were Yankee fans the past 15 years, I wasn't one of them when they were dominate. Now this is when I wish I was a Yankees fan LOL

They do a better job than the Mets rebuilding just in one year compared to the Mets rebuilding the last 8 years FFS

Let's not forget Shane Spencer and Mike Jacobs had like 3 homers in their first 5 ML ABs too and both ended up fringe MLB starters at best. Many scouts seem to think that Austin may be for real but some question Judge because his numbers in his final season and a half at Scranton were pretty pedestrian and don't know if he will be a consistent MLB hitter. Had the Yanks ultimately not sold I don't even think Judge would have gotten a look this year

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Let's not forget Shane Spencer and Mike Jacobs had like 3 homers in their first 5 ML ABs too and both ended up fringe MLB starters at best. Many scouts seem to think that Austin may be for real but some question Judge because his numbers in his final season and a half at Scranton were pretty pedestrian and don't know if he will be a consistent MLB hitter. Had the Yanks ultimately not sold I don't even think Judge would have gotten a look this year

Outside of May, Judge absolutely mashed at AAA this year

darko

Feb 16, 2009
There is lot of swing and miss to Judge's game. However there is also tons to like.

I've always been a fan.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
What is Austin's upside?

Really hard to say. Austin hit post draft year and then nothing until this year.

He had lot of wrist issues which obviously saps your power for long periods of time (think Wil Myers). 20-HR type if I had to take a stab at it.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City

Dude you have no idea what you are talking about. You really have not seen Judge in AAA. Big guys strike out a lot. Plus in AAA he didn't see as many fastballs that he is going to launch in MLB by barely making contact from sheer brute strength. And yes he will still strike out a lot but he will hit a ******** of home runs.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Lot of swing and miss with Judge but that's the price you pay for light tower power. He's a strong boy. Being that tall doesn't help either but he can be a very good player for us.

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
Wouldn't be able to tell you exact percentage but i can tell you it's low for 2 reasons. He crushes fastballs and is susceptible against breaking pitches.

Another guy who was similar going through minors was Giancarlo Stanton. If he can improve against breaking pitches he can be Stanton-lite type. Judge's big challenge will come when major league pitchers make adjustments against him.

Homer other day was off a breaking ball.over .400 feet.Yankees have lots of good postion players coming.They need pitching.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Dominic Smith went 3-5 and was a triple short of the cycle last night for Binghamton...extended hitting streak to 12 games. and Peter Alonso continues to rake, .368 in his last 10 and a .969 OPS since joining Brooklyn.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Dominic Smith went 3-5 and was a triple short of the cycle last night for Binghamton...extended hitting streak to 12 games. and Peter Alonso continues to rake, .368 in his last 10 and a .969 OPS since joining Brooklyn.

I think Alonso is now out for the season with a broken finger.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I think Alonso is now out for the season with a broken finger.

I think you're right--Brooklyn's site lists him as active but he hasn't played since the 9th. Regardless, good to see he mashed in his first month as a pro and was only getting hotter at the dish prior to the injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad