Value of: Mitch Marner's Next Contract

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Marner will sign first 7.5 3 year deal.
Matthews 10 mil 5 year

The leafs get 3 years to put a team together before Marner gets his 10 + deal

Marner would be crazy to sign that deal with the leverage he has right now. There are too many risks to the player. The NHL having guaranteed contracts is a huge disincentive for a player in Marner's position to go short term. If he signs for 8 years at $10M he knows that he walks away with $80M even if he was to suffer a major career altering injury.

The other issue he faces is that with Matthews and Tavares already signed their deals put a soft ceiling on contracts going forward. Add to that the fact that Reilly could be looking at a $5M raise the same year this three year deal would be up and Marner's agent should realize that it is far from a done deal that Marner would be compensated going forward for leaving money on the table now.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
I don't know if this was posted but Marner's agent was on Craig Custance's podcast today and a few cliff notes:

-Marner had no intention of signing this summer unless Toronto had come at them with an offer they couldn't refuse.
-Marner will not discuss an extension whatsoever until the season is over because the team is doing so well and they don't want any distractions.
-He laughed at the idea of Marner taking a 'hometown discount' but followed that up by saying that they will try to fit themselves into the teams salary structure.

Mar 14, 2011
Marner would be crazy to sign that deal with the leverage he has right now. There are too many risks to the player. The NHL having guaranteed contracts is a huge disincentive for a player in Marner's position to go short term. If he signs for 8 years at $10M he knows that he walks away with $80M even if he was to suffer a major career altering injury.

The other issue he faces is that with Matthews and Tavares already signed their deals put a soft ceiling on contracts going forward. Add to that the fact that Reilly could be looking at a $5M raise the same year this three year deal would be up and Marner's agent should realize that it is far from a done deal that Marner would be compensated going forward for leaving money on the table now.
10 x 8 will actually be much better for the Leafs also, being able to lock 3 additional UFA of Marner's prime years (as oppose to a 5 year contract) is well worth the risk of a potential career ending injury. So if Marner's agents wants a 10 mil AAV then his agent better give up those 4 extra UFA years like what Eichel's agents did, 10 x 8 is a deal everyone can get along.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Man people need to pump the brakes on Marner. He has all the skills in the world to be a 90+ pts player.

But how about we wait until he can string together back to back consistant 90+ pts seasons before throwing around numbers like 10/11 million +
With the supporting cast he has it should be easy though .

I could see him at 8-9m. Unless he scores 110+ pts this season theres no way he gets 11+ as a winger.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Depends, if he stays near current package when is getting 11+ he has played at a massive pace since second half of last season including the playoffs.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I don't know if this was posted but Marner's agent was on Craig Custance's podcast today and a few cliff notes:

-Marner had no intention of signing this summer unless Toronto had come at them with an offer they couldn't refuse.
-Marner will not discuss an extension whatsoever until the season is over because the team is doing so well and they don't want any distractions.
-He laughed at the idea of Marner taking a 'hometown discount' but followed that up by saying that they will try to fit themselves into the teams salary structure.
Oh well another player to be forced to sit out a season.

carriefan

Apr 9, 2011
Marner is scoring at a similar rate to Mathews but less injury prone. Is it possible he gets the same contract as Mathews or even get paid more than Mathews?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
More leaf fan fantasy scenario. How does leaving 9-12m over three years on the table help marner? There's taking a discount and there's being straight up ignorant. I don't know them personally but I doubt him and his agent are morons.
6MM x 3 years is huge. Find me the last player that got signed for that kind of bridge deal or more.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Why would Marner take a bridge deal? He has zero incentive to. He’s putting up points consistently pay the kid his $10-11 and move on
His incentive will be to be the highest paid player in the NHL when his contract is up.

Reactions: 7even

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Leafs should pay Matthews Tavares Marner Reilly and then shuffle the roster around them with ELC's and free agents. Those 4 players are your core. Marner is a 100 point winger you absolutely have to pay the kid and keep him.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Well, he deserves more than Laine IMO. I think Marner signs for 8 years x $9 million. He is that good that it might still be considered a home town discount.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
So you think they end up trading Kadri and Nylander?

Leaving aside that I think Nylander can't hold a candle to Marner, I don't know how you keep Kadri and Nylander while having the other 4 locked in long term. Most teams start having cap problems when you pay 2 players 20 million/year. Matthews Marner Tavares are going to be EXPENSIVE. Toronto will be a cap team regardless of what they do but you have to pick the right players and Marner is the right player.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
He will be closer to 10 million then the 7 million projects this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad