Value of: Mitch Marner's Next Contract

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Everyone's hung up about Nylander, but I kinda think Marner is going to be more interesting. Currently in the top 5 in the NHL in scoring, you gotta figure he's quickly playing himself out of the $8 mill range and into a number that could be in the $10 per range.

Marner is outproducing Eichel who signed at $10 mill, and Eichel signed when the cap was lower.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Marner, Matthews, Rantanen, and Laine all get 10+. It's going to be the summer where 10+ million salaries become common place. These agents have tons of ammo now and will use each other's deals as leverage.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
Heres a better question. Why didn't the Leafs lock him up in the summer?

To sign a contract you need two parties. For the Leafs it would be smarter to sign him last summer for like 7.0M, but for Marner it would be smarter to wait a couple of months and be able to ask for around 9M - 10M.

As a Leaf fan I just hope we don't have the Nylander situation all over again next year.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
Everyone saying 10mill are full of shit. Do they think Laine makes 10m? Does point make 10m? What about aho, is he making 10m? Haters gonna hate

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Everyone saying 10mill are full of ****. Do they think Laine makes 10m? Does point make 10m? What about aho, is he making 10m? Haters gonna hate

Actually I do think Laine will get 10+ too. He will probably finish the season strong, and who knows how far Winnipeg goes in the playoffs. Aho will get 8.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
Actually I do think Laine will get 10+ too. He will probably finish the season strong, and who knows how far Winnipeg goes in the playoffs. Aho will get 8.
Good luck trying to get jets fans to agree with that. Also, all Dubas has to do is to see what point signs for in Tampa and offer the same contract to Marner. Almost identical numbers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
How does Aho get 8? Hes probaby just as good and is a centre. Plus Canes fans actually think he's better so how does he get paid less?

Cap reality is gonna set in, the cap has risen by like $7 million in the last few years and likely rises again by another $2-$3 mill this summer.

There's gonna be a reallignment coming for salary structure. $10 per will be the "old" $8 per, $8 per will become the old "$6 per", etc. etc. It's inevitable with a cap that keeps rising.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad