Value of: Mitch Marner's Next Contract

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Marner's agent is not taking 8M no way...

It’s going to be very interesting for sure. The Marleau contract is causing the problems for next season. I just can’t see him agreeing to a trade out of T.O. after coming to the Leafs specifically to win a Cup.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Kucherov signed for 4.66 after his ELC putting up similar numbers as Marner did in his first two.

Obviously Marner this year has made the leap, like Kucherov did in 16-17, but 10 million is ludicrous. He's not getting more than Ovechkin did after his ELC

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Kucherov signed for 4.66 after his ELC putting up similar numbers as Marner did in his first two.

Obviously Marner this year has made the leap, like Kucherov did in 16-17, but 10 million is ludicrous. He's not getting more than Ovechkin did after his ELC
What year did Ovechkin sign after his ELC? You think these are related? Should he get more than Gretzky did on his second contract? Or what about Howe? That guy was pretty good too.

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
Everyone saying 10mill are full of ****. Do they think Laine makes 10m? Does point make 10m? What about aho, is he making 10m? Haters gonna hate
All of those guys you listed are playing themselves into big paydays. Your really just reinforcing their point.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013

giphy.gif

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Again is there anything becsiides non leaf fans hope that says Marner will be the highest paid winger ever off his ELC? Because Kuckerov got 9.5 with all of UFA years basically and Marner the past two years (even this year) is being shown up by Rantanen in points.

So basically you are saying that Rantanen is getting the McDavid deal?
Kucherov plays on a proven contender where other superstars have taken discounts to keep the team intact. Plus the entire tax situation in Florida.

And yeah Rantanen should probably get close to McDavid since the cap is higher now than when McDavid signed his deal.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Kucherov plays on a proven contender where other superstars have taken discounts to keep the team intact. Plus the entire tax situation in Florida.

And yeah Rantanen should probably get close to McDavid since the cap is higher now than when McDavid signed his deal.
Marner plays on a proven contender and I don't see 9.5 million for Kucherov as some discount at all. There are some overpaid contracts on the Florida teams just like everywhere else.

Rantanen is not getting as much or more than McDavid, same thing with Marner.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Did you really just say that?? It will be the year of our lord 2019 when MM gets his new contract...

Put yourself in Marner's agents shoes for a minute...the kid is going to get a big contract, and the fans should be happy for the kid. The Leafs have drafted and developed these kids very well after being abysmal for 10 years. This is the price you pay. The agents will not be giving out Shanny discounts.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Marner plays on a proven contender and I don't see 9.5 million for Kucherov as some discount at all. There are some overpaid contracts on the Florida teams just like everywhere else.

Lol 9.5m for Kucherov is not a discount? Are you ok?

Rantanen will get 11.5-12 and Marner will get 10.5-11.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

The Leafs haven’t won’t a playoff round in 14 years. They’re on their way, but they aren’t a proven contender.

Eichel got paid, why shouldn’t Marner?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Lol 9.5m for Kucherov is not a discount? Are you ok?

Rantanen will get 11.5-12 and Marner will get 10.5-11.

No it was market value. That made him the second highest paid winger in the entire NHL.

I doubt Rantanen and Marner get that much.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
No it was market value. That made him the second highest paid winger in the entire NHL.

Wrong. Just because it made him the 2nd highest paid winger doesn't make it market value. He clearly took a discount.

Worse players than him will sign larger contracts.

I don't know what Leafs fans are whining about. If I had Marner on my team I would be happy paying him 10.5-11.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
[QUOTE="duffy9748, post: 154331463, member: 63264"]The Leafs haven’t won’t a playoff round in 14 years. They’re on their way, but they aren’t a proven contender.

Eichel got paid, why shouldn’t Marner?[/QUOTE]

Sorry what does it matter exactly? We just saw an expansion team make the finals. A team with the second best record in the NHL IS a legit contender. You can't just make-up pretend rules for 1 team.
It's irrelevant what Sundin, Tucker, Domi failed to do with the Leafs a decade ago.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Wrong. Just because it made him the 2nd highest paid winger doesn't make it market value. He clearly took a discount.

I don't know what Leafs fans are whining about. If I had Marner on my team I would be happy paying him 10.5-11.
How? What should he have made? Remember, the cap was almost 5 million less last year.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Given the egg that Nylander is laying after holding out for almost $7 mil (2 pts in 11 games, great stuff....), Marner's gotta be licking his chops.

With the season he's had thus far, he knows he deserves a lot more than what Nylander got.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

This is 2019 not 2007. The salary cap isn't the same and Ovechkin has exactly 0 relevance here.

The Leafs haven’t won’t a playoff round in 14 years. They’re on their way, but they aren’t a proven contender.

If you emphasize the word "proven" I agree. They absolutely are not proven in the playoffs, and anyone who disagrees is simply wrong.

But - just because they're not proven it doesn't mean they can't still be a contender, even a top one. I do have a few teams above them myself - i'd probably rank them 6th in terms of contenders - but they absolutely can be and are a top contender still. Great team/roster, and Tavares is a very big Add.

Kucherov took a discount. Not a huge one - but a discount nonetheless. Absolutely. I think he very easily could have gotten 11-12M long term (yes even as an RFA, we're not even talking UFA money here) if he wanted. His age, constant progression, ability shown in the playoffs, and the fact that he torched the league as the best player for the first 75% of last season (he did slow up a bit towards the end) were enough to warrant that.

I know right? I would too.

My guess is - Marner demands 11 but is happy to settle for 10. Leafs hope for 9 but agree to settle for 10. I'd be shocked if he got 11 (Kuch > him in value last year imo, since we're comparing the 2), but i think 10, or even 10.5 on the high end could be possible. 9.5 is plausible too. I'd be shocked if it landed anywhere else.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
How? What should he have made? Remember, the cap was almost 5 million less last year.

Kucherov could EASILY have made 11M a year long term in tampa if he played hardball a little bit.

To use a Leafs player analogy - Tavares EASILY could have made 13M+ long term (not to say 14M+) if he wanted - even playing in one of the teams he wanted to (one of his 6 finalists).

I mean 9.5 * 8 years is a ton of money. Kucherov probably likes his coach, his teammates, didn't want to move, likes the weather in tampa, is excited about possibility of winning, maybe he's the type of person who suffers from anxiety and the idea of the unknown/playing in a diff city/team with new teammates/coach/new houses to buy sounded scary and he was happy to take a bit less to avoid all of that, etc.

There are reasons why some players sign for more and some sign for less. Market value (as a RFA, not UFA) for Kucherov last summer i'd say was ~11M per year, give or take a bit. 9.5 means he signed for less (taxes in Tampa probably helped that some, too).

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
This is 2019 not 2007. The salary cap isn't the same and Ovechkin has exactly 0 relevance here.

If you emphasize the word "proven" I agree. They absolutely are not proven in the playoffs, and anyone who disagrees is simply wrong.

But - just because they're not proven it doesn't mean they can't still be a contender, even a top one. I do have a few teams above them myself - i'd probably rank them 6th in terms of contenders - but they absolutely can be and are a top contender still. Great team/roster, and Tavares is a very big Add.

Kucherov took a discount. Not a huge one - but a discount nonetheless. Absolutely. I think he very easily could have gotten 11-12M long term (yes even as an RFA, we're not even talking UFA money here) if he wanted. His age, constant progression, ability shown in the playoffs, and the fact that he torched the league as the best player for the first 75% of last season (he did slow up a bit towards the end) were enough to warrant that.

I know right? I would too.

My guess is - Marner demands 11 but is happy to settle for 10. Leafs hope for 9 but agree to settle for 10. I'd be shocked if he got 11 (Kuch > him in value last year imo, since we're comparing the 2), but i think 10, or even 10.5 on the high end could be possible. 9.5 is plausible too. I'd be shocked if it landed anywhere else.

Proven is emphasized. He was discussing Kucherov taking 9.5 on a proven contender. Kucherov became a part of the core over time and was more likely to follow what Hedman and Stamkos did.

Factor in the state tax and they aren’t really comparable.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
[QUOTE="duffy9748, post: 154331463, member: 63264"]The Leafs haven’t won’t a playoff round in 14 years. They’re on their way, but they aren’t a proven contender.

Sorry what does it matter exactly? We just saw an expansion team make the finals. A team with the second best record in the NHL IS a legit contender. You can't just make-up pretend rules for 1 team.
It's irrelevant what Sundin, Tucker, Domi failed to do with the Leafs a decade ago.[/QUOTE]

Get a Webster’s dictionary and look up the word “proven”.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It's irrelevant what Sundin, Tucker, Domi failed to do with the Leafs a decade ago.

Get a Webster’s dictionary and look up the word “proven”.[/QUOTE]

Tampa themselves are not proven then,

I wasn't aware a team second overall can't be considered a contender. Never heard this prior to this year in my 35 years of watching hockey. Amazing really,

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Get a Webster’s dictionary and look up the word “proven”.

Tampa themselves are not proven then,

I wasn't aware a team second overall can't be considered a contender. Never heard this prior to this year in my 35 years of watching hockey. Amazing really,[/QUOTE]

Tampa didn’t go to the SCF and several conference finals before signing Kucherov?

And where did I say Toronto wasn’t a contender this season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad