Value of: Mitch Marner's Next Contract

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
One can definately pray he takes way less than what he is worth

If Nylander has taught anyone anything, it matters less of what the player thinks. Perhaps Marner is different and he'll get a greater stake in the negotiations but my sense is, Toronto will continue to put an emphasis on putting the team first and any individual that chooses otherwise can sit until they fall in line.

.... That and, "if you've got the time, use it" (- Lou). We'll take negotiations right to the last minute so as to save the capspace.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Yep, he'll sign quickly and take a discount to keep the team together.

Just like Nylander.

Toronto's okay taking the time if it's available. It only saves them capspace in the long run if he delays signing.

As long as he rejoins the mother ship, time is a convenience that the Leafs can afford.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Alot of fans are sweatin'!!!... After every game that goes by it is becoming more and more clear Marner is in for a MASSIVE contract whether u like it or not.... And it is well deserved. Him and matthews are 2 of the best players in the league and they will get paid as that
Why would fans be sweating. Toronto’s management isn’t stupid. If Toronto is paying him a massive contract it’s because he earned that massive contract.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Naive comment.
Kane cap hit after signing for 6.3 was 11%. He finished 9th in scoring .
Marner is sitting 3rd in league scoring. A 11% cap hit to sign next summer is 8.8m
And Kane was only 5 years. You pay a premium when you start getting UFA years covered.

Reactions: klabob

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Are people trying to make us feel nervous at giving Mitch 10?

Give him 10, I don't care. He's the most entertaining player the Leafs have had (besides maybe Tucker, for other reasons) since I started watching hockey.

Keep our baby boy close to our hearts, Dubas :)

Reactions: Scott Stevens

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
What if he matches or betters Rantanan's point totals? He's been catching up...

Rantanen also had 84 points last year. He's sitting at 42 already this year. Marner may catch him and beat him, and if he does, I sign him to a 3 year bridge like Kucherov. If in 3 years, he's putting up 100+ points, that's a good problem to have.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Rantanen also had 84 points last year. He's sitting at 42 already this year. Marner may catch him and beat him, and if he does, I sign him to a 3 year bridge like Kucherov. If in 3 years, he's putting up 100+ points, that's a good problem to have.

Signing him to a bridge is the leafs best case scenario unless he accepts under 8.5 on a long term deal.

You're going to pay him at least 9.5 on his 3rd deal but you save cap now, and in 3 years some more bad deals are on the books, and they'd gladly pay out for a ~100 point scorer

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Signing him to a bridge is the leafs best case scenario unless he accepts under 8.5 on a long term deal.

You're going to pay him at least 9.5 on his 3rd deal but you save cap now, and in 3 years some more bad deals are on the books, and they'd gladly pay out for a ~100 point scorer

Exactly. If Tavares starts regressing and he's still putting up 100+ points, you pay him then.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Naive comment.
Kane cap hit after signing for 6.3 was 11%. He finished 9th in scoring .
Marner is sitting 3rd in league scoring. A 11% cap hit to sign next summer is 8.8m
Players in their contract are the ones who make up the majority of the top scorers in the league. So they should be paid very well. How many of the top 30 scorers are on contract 3? Malkin, Kessel, Wheeler? That number is close to the number of elc guys in the tops of scoring.

So, now that the league has gotten younger and guys are hitting their Peak sooner guys going into contract 2 will get paid.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Why would Marner take a bridge deal? He has zero incentive to. He’s putting up points consistently pay the kid his $10-11 and move on

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Why would Marner take a bridge deal? He has zero incentive to. He’s putting up points consistently pay the kid his $10-11 and move on

Panarin though older put up similar stats and took a 2 year bridge to get him to UFA status. Kucherov did it so his 3rd deal would be massive.

If marner signs for 2-3 years., there's a decent chance with continued production he'll be making 10+ million in 2021.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
He should get about 1 million more than Gaudreau got because he’s about that much better than Gaudreau. They are very similar stylistically so it’s a fair comparison. That would be 7.75 x 7 for Marner, sounds about right.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
He should get about 1 million more than Gaudreau got because he’s about that much better than Gaudreau. They are very similar stylistically so it’s a fair comparison. That would be 7.75 x 7 for Marner, sounds about right.

Gaudreau signed too cheap.
He should be 7.75m and Marner higher.
I think Marner at 9m is about right

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
Are people trying to make us feel nervous at giving Mitch 10?

Give him 10, I don't care. He's the most entertaining player the Leafs have had (besides maybe Tucker, for other reasons) since I started watching hockey.

Keep our baby boy close to our hearts, Dubas :)

I'm sure Marner's "emergence" hasn't really surprised anyone in Toronto's front office. It might exceed their expectations a bit, but I doubt they selected him at #4 (foregoing some other highly regarded players in a position of greater need) if they didn't think he could achieve what he's doing now. As such, I believe that they would have factored in any possible contract demands, and have planned for many different scenarios. If that happens to be a larger piece of the pie for Marner, then there's probably a plan to address it.

Based on the Nylander negotiations, I don't think they'll just give him whatever he wants, and seeing how much Marner loves it here, I'm sure there will be room for negotiation that doesn't only take into consideration Marner's demands.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm sure Marner's "emergence" hasn't really surprised anyone in Toronto's front office. It might exceed their expectations a bit, but I doubt they selected him at #4 (foregoing some other highly regarded players in a position of greater need) if they didn't think he could achieve what he's doing now. As such, I believe that they would have factored in any possible contract demands, and have planned for many different scenarios. If that happens to be a larger piece of the pie for Marner, then there's probably a plan to address it.

Based on the Nylander negotiations, I don't think they'll just give him whatever he wants, and seeing how much Marner loves it here, I'm sure there will be room for negotiation that doesn't only take into consideration Marner's demands.
See what other soon to be RFA guys get. Rantanen in Colorado might score huge. If he does marner May want the same amount.

For me as a fan, I’d rather see teams pay the players who are performing rather than pay guys who are past their prime because they are ufa. I’m more a fan of how the NFL pays their stars which is on contract 2 and they don’t pay much to guys in contract 3. Guys on contract 3 don’t get the guaranteed money like they did on contract 2 due to their age and wear and tear. I don’t expect Watt or Miller to match the contracts of Donald and Mack when their current deals are done.

That’s better than the MLB model that the NHL old school thinking wants to mimic where the free agents who are 28-31 get paid. But now the nhl has a hard cap, unlike mlb. Donaldson is a 32 free agent for the first time. Harper is an unusual case being only 26. Judge won’t hit free agency until over age 30. Teams generally overpay on term. Russell Martin signed for 5 years and his best years were done after 3.

The pie is only big. So teams should pay the most important guys first. Links how the nhl argued for linkage during the lost season. Kind of that model should be used to pay players IMO. Link the most amount of money paid to your most productive players. If that happens to be a 22 year old so be it. You’re paying them from 22-28, so you’re getting their best years.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Oh, that sucks. Our player is so good he's worth 10-11 mil. only on HF would teams laugh at you for that.

Im distraught as a leaf fan, i can't fathom it. f*** you Mitch how could you!

Meanwhile, Panarin thread since he's not a Leaf "hes worth it! pay the man!"- HF collectively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad