Value of: Mitch Marner's Next Contract

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Well, he deserves more than Laine IMO. I think Marner signs for 8 years x $9 million. He is that good that it might still be considered a home town discount.

I would definitely consider that a home team discount. I'd be over the moon to get him at that price.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If Arizona were to offer sheet Matthews, this could all blow up.
I doubt a player would leave an original 6 contender by signing an offersheet to bottom tier team who may or may not even be there for the length of his contract, even if it is his hometown.
If by a miracle, the Yotes still have a team near the end of his career, I could see him doing a victory lap, kind of like Marleau is doing with TO.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Leafs should pay Matthews Tavares Marner Reilly and then shuffle the roster around them with ELC's and free agents. Those 4 players are your core. Marner is a 100 point winger you absolutely have to pay the kid and keep him.

I would include Andersen in that list too (at least for the next 3 seasons).

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Leaving aside that I think Nylander can't hold a candle to Marner, I don't know how you keep Kadri and Nylander while having the other 4 locked in long term. Most teams start having cap problems when you pay 2 players 20 million/year. Matthews Marner Tavares are going to be EXPENSIVE. Toronto will be a cap team regardless of what they do but you have to pick the right players and Marner is the right player.
When I see others mention the Leafs future cap issues I think to myself you don't see anyone say that about Tampa Bay who has been able to re-sign Stamkos, Headman, McDonagh and Kucherov.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Well, he deserves more than Laine IMO. I think Marner signs for 8 years x $9 million. He is that good that it might still be considered a home town discount.

If Marner scores 100+ points this season and it looks like he will and the Leafs can sign him for 8 years (buying up 3 UFA years) with only a 9m cap hit I'd consider that a win for Dubas and the Leafs. If the Leafs push for 8 years thus buying up 3 UFA years I could see Marner's cap hit pushing 10m or more. The guy is probably worth 8-9m right now considering some other NHL contracts out there and he's still getting better so those 3 UFA years the Leafs would be buying up will likely be very expensive.

Signing Marner to 6 years and only buying up 1 UFA year would likely cost the Leafs less than going for 8 years IMO.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If Marner scores 100+ points this season and it looks like he will and the Leafs can sign him for 8 years (buying up 3 UFA years) with only a 9m cap hit I'd consider that a win for Dubas and the Leafs. If the Leafs push for 8 years thus buying up 3 UFA years I could see Marner's cap hit pushing 10m or more. The guy is probably worth 8-9m right now considering some other NHL contracts out there and he's still getting better so those 3 UFA years the Leafs would be buying up will likely be very expensive.

Signing Marner to 6 years and only buying up 1 UFA year would likely cost the Leafs less than going for 8 years IMO.
We have the recent example of Kucherov scoring 100 points last season and Tampa Bay re-signed him to a 8 year contract with a $9.5 million AAV. I know they have the no state tax advantage as well, however you got to think Dubas would only look at the $9.5 million AAV in that example.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
According to the leafs fans in this thread:
-Marner around 8.5-9.5
-Matthews around 10-12

According to all the nonleaf fans:
-Marner second highest paid player in the league
-Mathews highest paid player in the league

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yes, it's a rule. Leafs have to pay more than other teams for their RFAs signings. Same rule, Leafs have to trade a top prospect and a pick for out of playoff teams third pairing RHD.
Even though the Leafs players get bashed the most by non Leafs fans on here, they are also apparently worth a lot and why Marner should get over $11 million on his next contract.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Even though the Leafs players get bashed the most by non Leafs fans on here, they are also apparently worth a lot and why Marner should get over $11 million on his next contract.

We'll see. Starting next season only two players make 11m. McDavid at 12.5m and Doughty at 11m. Hard to me to fathom that a guy coming of ELC, and having 1.5m of superior play (though Marner looks to be long term a top 5 or 10 forward in the NHL) gets so much. Maybe the Leafs can convince Marner that living in his parents basement in Markham is worth a 1m hometown discount

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Yes, it's a rule. Leafs have to pay more than other teams for their RFAs signings. Same rule, Leafs have to trade a top prospect and a pick for out of playoff teams third pairing RHD.

Please don't forget the HF rule where some Leaf fans want to trade for another teams top or middle pairing RHD while only giving up spare parts pretty much. :) A lot of those type of proposals floating around HF from some Leaf fans for the past few months also. I'd say neither side is any better than the other when it comes to this type of stuff here.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
So you think they end up trading Kadri and Nylander?

Kadri probably. With how successful he's been and how old he is now it's unlikely that he outperforms his next contract. Nylander, who knows. I do believe the team likes him and I think it's a better team with him on it. But as Lou was fond of saying, it's a 5 year plan that changes every day.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I doubt a player would leave an original 6 contender by signing an offersheet to bottom tier team who may or may not even be there for the length of his contract, even if it is his hometown.
If by a miracle, the Yotes still have a team near the end of his career, I could see him doing a victory lap, kind of like Marleau is doing with TO.

I don't think Matthews wants to be buried in hockey hole like Arizona even if they paid him more money. Matthews could use an an unsigned offer sheet for leverage though. Matthews is probably wealthier and happier long term, if signs with Leafs...a very good team and then maybe in six years he leaves for a destination of his choice...maybe the Leafs or New York or wherever.
About that time McDavid can return to near hometown Leafs as a UFA.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
Really doubt he gets more than Kucherov.

I totally agree.

With Marner I wonder if he’d take a five year deal buying 1 UFA year at 8.5m

I believe Marner would want to be a Leaf for life so if I were Dubas I wouldn’t be worried about a deal taking him almost straight to unrestricted free agency.

I don view that as a hometown discount but the term would really help the Leafs cap in the next two years

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

$9 million might be a discount? The cap is $83M, $10 M is a discount already

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I totally agree.

With Marner I wonder if he’d take a five year deal buying 1 UFA year at 8.5m

I believe Marner would want to be a Leaf for life so if I were Dubas I wouldn’t be worried about a deal taking him almost straight to unrestricted free agency.

I don view that as a hometown discount but the term would really help the Leafs cap in the next two years

Is rather pay him a million more and lock him up for 8 years.

When your core is 21 years old you lock them up and call it a day.

I read somewhere that matthews and marner may only want to sign for 5 years though so dubas may not have a choice

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
anywhere between 8.5 and 12. If I had to guess, I would say him and Mattews both sign identical 11m contracts over 7-8 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad