Value of: Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
60 points as a sophomore - he hasn’t entered his prime yet.

Potential for growth (especially when it’s a near certainty that he will improve) adds value.

Not to mention even calling him a 60 point winger at this point is underselling him. Given the way he's been playing pretty much all year after his slow start, he's more than likely going to finish with about 70 points this year. He's been playing at a ppg game for a long time now so I see no reason why that's going to change in the remaining 11 games. He's looked like a different player the 2nd half of this season; he's controlling the play like an elite star. Nobody knows if he's going to hit his ceiling because that's impossible to predict, but you can be sure the Leafs are valuing him like he will at this point in his career. That ceiling is a guy that can be a perennial top 10 scorer in this league. Zero chance this guy gets traded IMO.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Sure. He usually plays sheltered minutes on the 3rd line against weaker defensive pairings. He plays in the PP with Mathews, point I believe. Matthews also faces top defensive pairings. I'm not confident as of right now he can put up the same production on a team without an elite center due to being a product of Auston. I think he's good but not the 2nd coming like Leaf fans make him out to be. I base2my analsysis on right now at this point in time. It's unfair to go by potential or would go be because it hasn't happened yet.

Look at Skinner. Several though he wouk d be the next Brett Hull. Hasn't happened.

I mean... you're showing you know nothing about Marner with posts like this. Clearly no credibility.
You base your analysis on nothing, because you got it completely wrong.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Trouba with a fair extension (remember years of control with Marner plays a factor here) is a fair deal and wouldn't hate it.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Sure. He usually plays sheltered minutes on the 3rd line against weaker defensive pairings. He plays in the PP with Mathews, point I believe. Matthews also faces top defensive pairings. I'm not confident as of right now he can put up the same production on a team without an elite center due to being a product of Auston. I think he's good but not the 2nd coming like Leaf fans make him out to be. I base2my analsysis on right now at this point in time. It's unfair to go by potential or would go be because it hasn't happened yet.

Look at Skinner. Several though he wouk d be the next Brett Hull. Hasn't happened.

Wow, there are so many things wrong with this post I can’t even fathom. Firstly, Matthews and Marner never play on the PP together, like ever. Secondly, Marner usually never ever plays against third line competition, maybe it occurred a few times, but the Leafs don’t really have set lines outside of Hyman-Matthews-Nylander. Thirdly, aside from the slump, Marner has been putting up 1st line elite level numbers and plays a style that is very similar to a Patrick Kane/Johnny Gaudreau hybrid. Fourthly, Mitch Marner is also just 20/21 years old and isn’t even close to his prime yet. Fifthly, don’t ever compare Mitch Marner to Jeff Skinner because the ceiling for Marner is much higher than Skinner, maybe not in terms of goals, but in terms of points and ability to control and dominate a game, Marner exceeds that substantially already.

Feb 24, 2017
Wow, there are so many things wrong with this post I can’t even fathom. Firstly, Matthews and Marner never play on the PP together, like ever. Secondly, Marner usually never ever plays against third line competition, maybe it occurred a few times, but the Leafs don’t really have set lines outside of Hyman-Matthews-Nylander. Thirdly, aside from the slump, Marner has been putting up 1st line elite level numbers and plays a style that is very similar to a Patrick Kane/Johnny Gaudreau hybrid. Fourthly, Mitch Marner is also just 20/21 years old and isn’t even close to his prime yet. Fifthly, don’t ever compare Mitch Marner to Jeff Skinner because the ceiling for Marner is much higher than Skinner, maybe not in terms of goals, but in terms of points and ability to control and dominate a game, Marner exceeds that substantially already.
Show your math.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Trouba with a fair extension (remember years of control with Marner plays a factor here) is a fair deal and wouldn't hate it.

Jets would have zero interest in trading Trouba for Marner.....especially if Trouba signed a long term reasonable contract. The Jets would be one of the teams with the least interest in Marner in the entire NHL.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Anyone thinking all 3 of Matthews/Nylander/Marner were taking steps forward this year deserve this reality check. There are always hiccups.

but Marner did take a step forward this year. so did Matthews when healthy.
looking at the scoreboard it would seem like Nylander hasn't taken a step forward, but he has simply been better this year at both ends, especially at ES (43ESP,+18 in 71 games vs 35ESP,-3 in 81 games)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Would trade Ellis for him when he's healthy though would rather go for nylander

yeah unfortunately the leafs won't be moving marner/nylander for a guy that will be a pending UFA
I can see them taking a run at Ellis though next year. How does Nashville afford to pay him 6+?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Wingers are never worth nearly as much as HF thinks.

Leafs are better off just hanging onto him as he wont return a legit Top pairing D of similar age or anything like that.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
what would you give me Patrick Laine? Patrick Kane? Better yet what do you think would be the return, a second pairing guy and a pick?
Also one is not like the other. Laine is a pure goal scorer 40 goals 20ish assists. Marner has 19 goals. But I wouldn't trade petro for either. Also kane and laine are elite wingers, Marner hasn't hit that status yet.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Cool, you can use a team with Crosby/Malkin/Kessel as your example, and it's a good 1 as they have won 2 cups. I will use teams prior"
2015 Hawks-Keith (2 time Norris winner)
2014 Kings-Doughty (Norris winner)
2013 Hawks-Keith (2 time Norris winner)
2012 Kings-Doughty (Norris winner)
2011 Bruins-Chara (Norris winner)
2010 Hawks-Keith (2 time Norris winner)
2009 Penguins-Letang (No Norris, but legit #1D)
2008 Wings-Lidstrom (6 time Norris winner)
2007 Ducks-Pronger (Norris winner)/Neidermeyer (Norris winner)

You'd have to go all the way back to 2006 (Canes) to find a team that won the cup without a bonified #1D.

Good thing we have Morgan Rielly then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad