Value of: Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Gaudreau is a great player. He's also FOUR years older than Mitch.

Johnny's 21 year old season, he managed 61 points, Mitch at 19 and 20 has done 61 and 69..... I'm not saying Mitch is better, or worse... but.... Also, the expectation that a 20 year old can't get better isn't set in reality.

I didn’t claim he can’t get better. But comments such as ‘he will blow by gaudreau’ just seem a bit cocky. And Gaudreau has been a measuring stick against many players and was alsways told he can’t do certain things in the NHL.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Here we go again with the marner > gaudreau...

Gaudreau would have likely had 90+ points this year if he would have played all games and if our power play wasn’t the worst in the league (pretty sure we were ****ing bottom of the barrel second half of season)

But regardless, 82 point season is ok for Johnny. I see him go for 90+ next year under a hopefully better coach and better power play.

Blowing by Johnny would be at least 90 point season by Marner. Capable? Probably. But don’t make it sound like gaudreau is slowing down or Marner is a lock to be better.
Pretty sure Marner could help you there if you had him.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I didn’t claim he can’t get better. But comments such as ‘he will blow by gaudreau’ just seem a bit cocky. And Gaudreau has been a measuring stick against many players and was alsways told he can’t do certain things in the NHL.

I'd agree that superlatives such as "blow by him" are ridiculous. Gaudreau is good at hockey, and will be measured against. It's a pretty even comparison at this point.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Based on Leafs evaluation in the other thread:

2 1sts and the rights to Matt Stajan

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Here we go again with the marner > gaudreau...

Gaudreau would have likely had 90+ points this year if he would have played all games and if our power play wasn’t the worst in the league (pretty sure we were ****ing bottom of the barrel second half of season)

But regardless, 82 point season is ok for Johnny. I see him go for 90+ next year under a hopefully better coach and better power play.

Blowing by Johnny would be at least 90 point season by Marner. Capable? Probably. But don’t make it sound like gaudreau is slowing down or Marner is a lock to be better.
Blowing by Gaudreau would require Marner to do something Gaudreau's never done, at the age that Gaudreau was just getting into the league? lol k.

Take a peak at their points/60. Marner is just a hair behind where Gaudreau is.... and again, he's 4 years younger. An extra 4 minutes per game might help with points/game. It's also worth considering that Marner (and Nylander) are being constantly trained to be better 2-way players, which includes demotions to the 4th line, or benchings, if they make defensive mistakes. How many games has Gaudreau been relegated to the 4th?

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Judging by all the posts. It seems to me that Marner is the next Wayne Greztzky. Am I right?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Some players don't play better when they get more minutes. Marner is probably used efficiently, which is why his point production looks good when comparing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad