Value of: Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Here's the funny thing...we have Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev and Hainsey.....so far this season:

My point to all of this is that we don't really need a "top 4D", we need an elite #1D. We have 4 guys that are easily #2-4 guys.

Are you so fascinated with this title of # 1 Dmen? (like so many others) Like Karlsson who misses the the playoff more often than not. Even Hedman miss the playoffs. So is there any magic to having those so called # 1 Dman? There is no guarantee it leads to instant and Cup success. Look at the Penguins last season, No Letang, and Hainsey led the team in playoff minutes by a Dman.

Reactions: Menzinger

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Good second line forward? Lol alright then. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Sure. He usually plays sheltered minutes on the 3rd line against weaker defensive pairings. He plays in the PP with Mathews, point I believe. Matthews also faces top defensive pairings. I'm not confident as of right now he can put up the same production on a team without an elite center due to being a product of Auston. I think he's good but not the 2nd coming like Leaf fans make him out to be. I base2my analsysis on right now at this point in time. It's unfair to go by potential or would go be because it hasn't happened yet.

Look at Skinner. Several though he wouk d be the next Brett Hull. Hasn't happened.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Sure. He usually plays sheltered minutes on the 3rd line against weaker defensive pairings. He plays in the PP with Mathews, point I believe. Matthews also faces top defensive pairings. I'm not confident as of right now he can put up the same production on a team without an elite center due to being a product of Auston. I think he's good but not the 2nd coming like Leaf fans make him out to be.
Not sure I can honestly take you seriously if you actually think this. First of all Marner and Matthews have played all of 2 games together on a line in their careers....they also play on separate powerplay units when Matthews is healthy with Marner running the leafs top unit. Add to that Marner has been on his best run of the season with Matthews out the last 3 weeks and somehow you missed on every point you tried to make. Trying to say Marner is anything but a first line winger is just flat out wrong.

Jun 27, 2005
Sure. He usually plays sheltered minutes on the 3rd line against weaker defensive pairings. He plays in the PP with Mathews, point I believe. Matthews also faces top defensive pairings. I'm not confident as of right now he can put up the same production on a team without an elite center due to being a product of Auston. I think he's good but not the 2nd coming like Leaf fans make him out to be. I base2my analsysis on right now at this point in time. It's unfair to go by potential or would go be because it hasn't happened yet.

Look at Skinner. Several though he wouk d be the next Brett Hull. Hasn't happened.
Matthews has been injured the last 8 games. Marner has 12 points in those 8 games.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Not sure I can honestly take you seriously if you actually think this. First of all Marner and Matthews have played all of 2 games together on a line in their careers....they also play on separate powerplay units when Matthews is healthy with Marner running the leafs top unit. Add to that Marner has been on his best run of the season with Matthews out the last 3 weeks and somehow you missed on every point you tried to make. Trying to say Marner is anything but a first line winger is just flat out wrong.

Thank you for correcting my in the PP lines. Matthews out 3 weeks, Marner for once playing on a top line and doing well still doesn't command an elite d man. GMs go by long term stats . Not 3 week hot streaks. Especially when one racks up tons of points on the 3rd line through their shirt career. Months ago there were Marner for Fleury proposals out there due to how Fleury was playing at the time. There were also several leafs who wanted Marner for Hanifin.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Marner is a franchise player.. no way he is getting traded, especially not for the low end #2 Ds proposed in this thread.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Thank you for correcting my in the PP lines. Matthews out 3 weeks, Marner for once playing on a top line and doing well still doesn't command an elite d man. GMs go by king term stats . Not 3 week hit streaks. Especially when one racks up tons of points on the 3rd line.
He is over a point a game in his last 40 it isn't just the last 3 weeks. He has also been playing 5v5 with Kadri over his last 20 games and Kadri is anything but sheltered 5v5. Obviously when healthy Matthews is going to get other teams top players I just don't think that means Marner isn't a top line winger. He is capable of carrying a line and there are plenty of teams that have top talent spread onto multiple lines.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Are you so fascinated with this title of # 1 Dmen? (like so many others) Like Karlsson who misses the the playoff more often than not. Even Hedman miss the playoffs. So is there any magic to having those so called # 1 Dman? There is no guarantee it leads to instant and Cup success. Look at the Penguins last season, No Letang, and Hainsey led the team in playoff minutes by a Dman.
Cool, you can use a team with Crosby/Malkin/Kessel as your example, and it's a good 1 as they have won 2 cups. I will use teams prior"
2015 Hawks-Keith (2 time Norris winner)
2014 Kings-Doughty (Norris winner)
2013 Hawks-Keith (2 time Norris winner)
2012 Kings-Doughty (Norris winner)
2011 Bruins-Chara (Norris winner)
2010 Hawks-Keith (2 time Norris winner)
2009 Penguins-Letang (No Norris, but legit #1D)
2008 Wings-Lidstrom (6 time Norris winner)
2007 Ducks-Pronger (Norris winner)/Neidermeyer (Norris winner)

You'd have to go all the way back to 2006 (Canes) to find a team that won the cup without a bonified #1D.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Cool, you can use a team with Crosby/Malkin/Kessel as your example, and it's a good 1 as they have won 2 cups. I will use teams prior"

You'd have to go all the way back to 2006 (Canes) to find a team that won the cup without a bonified #1D.

That defensive core was big time underrated.

Wesley, seidenberg, babchuck, Commodore, hedican, wallin. One could argue Wesley was a #1D.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
That defensive core was big time underrated.

Wesley, seidenberg, babchuck, Commodore, hedican, wallin. One could argue Wesley was a #1D.
I wasn't knocking that D, in fact, it further proves my point that to win, you need a legit 1D.

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
I’m always surprised by the number of posters that like to present their “analysis” of players they don’t watch. Bluedevil gets everything wrong in his first post, gets corrected, admits it was incorrect, then doubles down his opinion. It’s posts like these that other uninformed posters read and repeat, and incorrect information becomes used as “facts” on HF Boards.

I understand if you want to be part of the conversation, but why make up information?

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

Already been answered

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Out of all he has more value, or arguably equal to Trouba, lots of leaf homers overrating Marner in this thread though

Hes a good 60 point winger

60 points as a sophomore - he hasn’t entered his prime yet.

Potential for growth (especially when it’s a near certainty that he will improve) adds value.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

No, you only have to go back to 2017.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
Too many opinions are made on these boards looking at stats sheets and zone starts. Anyone please just watch Marner play. He is the real deal and a dynamic offensive player. He’s the best playmaker the Leafs have had since The Gilmour days. That is all I have to say.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Is there even a reason to keep this thread open? At the time it was made we know that Marner was not playing at the level he currently is at and there is little chance the Leafs are going to trade him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille