Value of: Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Matthews is definitely building his reputation this year, and Nylander looks like the real deal, but I agree that Marner has been a bit stagnant this season relative to the other guys in the big three.

Not sure if it his linemates or just the usual sophomore slump stuff, but he just doesn't seem as dynamic as last year. We obviously all saw what he can do so I expect he will "snap out of it" at some point soon and get it going again
Marner always starts slow. It was the same in London....and right now, that whole line looks lost.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
He has been terrible defensively but then again so are his line mates (Bozak and JVR). I would really like to see Babcock throw him on a line with Marleau and Kadri. He could really benefit from a player like Marleau's vetran presence. Kadri we know will go to the dirty areas and is great with that 200 foot game.

Plus even if he has an off year it means we likely sign him for slightly less AAV.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think this is the perfect time to trade Marner!
Marner 4 points in 5 games....
Matthews 8 points in 5 games...
Nylander 5 points in 5 games...

Yup....definately stepping back

Yeah, Matthews has been the worst of the three. The sophomore slump is hitting him so hard right now that he's centering one of the best lines in hockey.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I think this is the perfect time to trade Marner!

Yeah, Matthews has been the worst of the three. The sophomore slump is hitting him so hard right now that he's centering one of the best lines in hockey.

Yeah, but I doubt he'll score 40 because ya know, teams will be better prepared for him and stuff....

Reactions: Mats13

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Just wanted to point out what everyone that is not a leafs fan already knows. Mitch Marner Is and i repeat is not worth an Elite Young Dman in this league. Also his percieved Value is slightly lower than Nylander because he does not have potential to be a center. Just wanted to put that out there.

Reactions: Viqsi

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Matthews has already peaked whereas other young guys around his age have lots more potential because they aren't even close to peaking.

It's true.
I mean, all the guys younger than him (even a few months...) have some much development time, so clearly they'll be better.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
Matthews has already peaked whereas other young guys around his age have lots more potential because they aren't even close to peaking.
I'm sure someone said that about Gretzky but he proved them wrong

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Anyone thinking all 3 of Matthews/Nylander/Marner were taking steps forward this year deserve this reality check. There are always hiccups.

While Matthews and Nylander have been lights out (Matthews, in particular, has been friggin incredible), Marner has been brutal this year. Those who blame his play on JVR or Bozak are downright homers. He hasn't been his usual creative self and he's been giving the puck away in his own zone. I'm even surprised he has 4 points. If anything, JVR has been carrying Marner's and Bozak's jockstrap in the offensive zone.

So yes, Marner has taken a step back, but it's only been 5 games so whatever.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
leafs aren't trading him. he's on the fourth line because babcock is an idiot of a coach. he needs to split up the 3rd line but keep the 4th line intact

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
I would trade Marner for Parayko, Hamilton ++, OEL, Ekblad, Jones, Trouba ++

But let's be honest. That probably won't happen and I'm perfectly happy to keep our young budding star.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Ya these threads should be closed shortly after they open. It is a ridiculous notion that the leafs move any of our big 3. Not a chance. The demotion is not based on point production. It is based on his work ethic (lack there of) so far. He looks slow for some reason, he is flying the zone ( a la kessel), he is making cutesy passes at the wrong time, instead of shooting (which he had told the media the coaching staff wanted to see more of). He will be back on the Bozak line soon enough. I even would say that it will be tomorrow. I think he starts with his line, and if he starts messing around he goes down, or he starts on the 4th line, and then he will start skating like he should and move back up. In addtion (quick thought) I think Komarov needs to move down to the 4th line. Move Brown with Kadri/Bozak, and put Marner there. Marleau is a slower starter (known), but I have not really liked Komarov (except on the pk). So again either lines go back to normal sometime tomorrow, or I could see that combo given a try (though I think this is more a wake up call for Marner to start working).

Again my opinion on these dumb threads, that say nylander for---- or marner for--- NO CHANCE. All you need to look at is this. Doughty is probably going to test the FA market (unless LA contends, doubt they do). Even if LA does contend a blind man can see the leafs are very close to glory. So why give up a ton when we could possibly get one for free. Also remember JVR and Bozak are UFA in addition Lupul, and Gleason come off the books, we will have some extra dollars there (and I think Cowan as well). Not to mention I dont think we are keeping both Fehr/Moore. I smell a trade, been smelling one since we got Pickard. We all know that the team is evaluating those 2 right now, whoever they do not choose I think is packaged in a deal, with Leivo and who knows what for a defensemen. But also remember we have Lily in the AHL shoot right, he probably is a full-time NHLer by next season. If we sign Igor Og (however you spell his last name) he is a right shot as well. Plus we still have Borgman, Rosen, and Dermott. We are a move or 2 away here. Also keep in mind with Nylander probably coming in around 8million next year, then the following we have Matthews and Marner up, can we afford a big name defensemen? Probably not. Many want Tavares. I would love him, but his contract value (unless he took a big hit), will not work for us. Same with Doughty that is a huge salary, and we are 99.9% keeping Marner, Nylander. So therefore, how do we have room? We wont, unless a big pay cut is taken. I will go as far as to say our big 3 will take a bit less, to give us a bit more breathing room. Hyman and Brown (more so brown) took a bit less than I think they could of gotten (emphasis on Brown). I am sure the guys know we are close, and all want to win a cup together so.....I guess we will see.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
of further note---trade talk wise---I watched VGK for the first time last night and Leipsic looks really good, that into account and we protected Leivo I think something involving Leivo happens before the end of the year, and probably before the end of the month (failing a major injury to a winger).

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
We should seriously consider moving him to Pitts for Hunwick, i think he would be a perfect addition to our defence. Gives us a chance to move Rielly for futures too.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I would trade Marner for Parayko, Hamilton ++, OEL, Ekblad, Jones, Trouba ++

But let's be honest. That probably won't happen and I'm perfectly happy to keep our young budding star.

I'm sure you wouldn't mind any of those trades, of course none of those teams would even consider it.

I wouldn't mind winning the 649, but it won't likely happen either.

Reactions: Viqsi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad