Minor league affiliation changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
So all affiliations are one year, except for the ones that aren't? Kind of an odd statement. Sort of like saying "everyone's house will burn down tomorrow, except for the ones that don't". Technically true, but still likely to cause misunderstanding.

ECHL affiliation agreements can be any length the two parties agree on. Player contracts can't be more than one year, but there are no rules about affiliation length.

Indy & Chicago will be starting Year 4 of a 5-year agreement next season.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The Buffalo relationship makes perfect sense for the Cyclones. Chuck Weber, who coached in Cincinnati for 4 years and won two Kelly Cups, coaches for Rochester (the Buffalo AHL affiliate) and still has close ties to the Cincinnati area and Cyclones management. Weber will be a sound influence on the relationship between the two organizations.

The renovation of US Bank Arena is a longshot. The current ownership isn't going to pay for it and the City and County are still on the hook for other stadiums and just spent a ton on the worthless Trolley system. The notion that a first and second round NCAA date will move the meter on a $150+ million project is laughable.

I still struggle with why the fans at this level or the franchises pump up the affiliations every spring.

But...

Weber has been a mediocre AHL coach. Most of the Rochester fanbase that I've read through seems to want him gone. He may be close to the management and all but that doesn't really matter. The players he coached are long gone now and now he's bringing guys up out of their element versus having them there all year so it doesn't matter that much.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I still struggle with why the fans at this level or the franchises pump up the affiliations every spring.

But...

Weber has been a mediocre AHL coach. Most of the Rochester fanbase that I've read through seems to want him gone. He may be close to the management and all but that doesn't really matter. The players he coached are long gone now and now he's bringing guys up out of their element versus having them there all year so it doesn't matter that much.

Having someone who has had a long standing and positive relationship with an affiliate is a huge positive regardless of how one might assess his coaching success or lack thereof. It's about the organizational ties and communication; it's not about players who have moved on to insurance careers years ago.

I've thought that the Cyclones 3 affiliates in the past 11 years (Montreal, Florida and Nashville) have all been very positive. I would think that a Columbus relationship makes the most sense from a marketing perspective, particularly from the CBJs standpoint, but evidently that isn't deemed that important by either organization or it would have come about at some point during the past dozen years.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Having someone who has had a long standing and positive relationship with an affiliate is a huge positive regardless of how one might assess his coaching success or lack thereof. It's about the organizational ties and communication; it's not about players who have moved on to insurance careers years ago.

I've thought that the Cyclones 3 affiliates in the past 11 years (Montreal, Florida and Nashville) have all been very positive. I would think that a Columbus relationship makes the most sense from a marketing perspective, particularly from the CBJs standpoint, but evidently that isn't deemed that important by either organization or it would have come about at some point during the past dozen years.

The affiliation game is no different from the real world. The people at the top don't care about the little people. The ECHL is the peasant class in this little experiment. They don't matter. Almost nobody on the roster now will be a regular for the big club. Its just a place for the middle class club the AHL team to poach from when necessary. Same thing happens to them from the ruling class which is the NHL. The only difference between the AHL and ECHL is the whole AHL team is pretty much filled in by them and I guess you could sell the dream idea they are the next team to replace the current team when they get too old or become free agents. The peasant team has too many bodies ahead of them to really matter. Guys are only called up when there's injuries or the above team is shorthanded.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The affiliation game is no different from the real world. The people at the top don't care about the little people. The ECHL is the peasant class in this little experiment. They don't matter. Almost nobody on the roster now will be a regular for the big club. Its just a place for the middle class club the AHL team to poach from when necessary. Same thing happens to them from the ruling class which is the NHL. The only difference between the AHL and ECHL is the whole AHL team is pretty much filled in by them and I guess you could sell the dream idea they are the next team to replace the current team when they get too old or become free agents. The peasant team has too many bodies ahead of them to really matter. Guys are only called up when there's injuries or the above team is shorthanded.

While I will say that most ECHL affiliations are as you say to supply AHL teams when they need players, or stash a few extra AHL contracts, and that a huge part of them are for marketing purposes. If you read through the list on the league website of players who have been called up (yes I know its a lot of names) but there are many players on that list, who are not goalies, that have had long term stays in the NHL, including ones that are currently playing.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
While I will say that most ECHL affiliations are as you say to supply AHL teams when they need players, or stash a few extra AHL contracts, and that a huge part of them are for marketing purposes. If you read through the list on the league website of players who have been called up (yes I know its a lot of names) but there are many players on that list, who are not goalies, that have had long term stays in the NHL, including ones that are currently playing.

It does happen but it's not frequent and I can't think of the last guy who wasn't a goalie. Its not consistent was more or less my idea. Its not happening every year or even very close to that.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
It does happen but it's not frequent and I can't think of the last guy who wasn't a goalie. Its not consistent was more or less my idea. Its not happening every year or even very close to that.

The Penguins have two that worked their way up from the Wheeling Nailers in their current lineup for the Stanley Cup Final.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Who was that? They do have a lot of injuries I've heard so somebody has to be in those spots.

Carter Rowney for one, he is a winger who is averaging 10 minutes of ice time in 27 regular season games. I think the Pens have had a lot of defensive injuries, not sure about forwards. They are an organization who really makes use of their minor league system. There are probably more former Nailers on their roster, his was just a name I recognized from seeing the Nailers play the Royals a lot.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Carter Rowney for one, he is a winger who is averaging 10 minutes of ice time in 27 regular season games. I think the Pens have had a lot of defensive injuries, not sure about forwards. They are an organization who really makes use of their minor league system. There are probably more former Nailers on their roster, his was just a name I recognized from seeing the Nailers play the Royals a lot.

Rowney is correct. Kuhnhackl has been a healthy scratch though was a regular for the Pens in the 16 final and in the first three series this year. As of tonight, Archibald makes another Nailer to take the ice.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
2017-18 affiliations
Adirondack Thunder - ?/New Jersey Devils (unofficial?)
Allen Americans - San Jose Sharks (2017-18 at least)
Atlanta Gladiators - Boston Bruins (2018-19)
Brampton Beast - Montreal Canadiens (expired)
Cincinnati Cyclones - Buffalo Sabres (2017-18 at least)
Colorado Eagles - Colorado Avalanche (2019-20)
Florida Everblades - Carolina Hurricanes (O&O)
Fort Wayne Komets - INDEPENDENT
Greenville Swamp Rabbits - New York Rangers (2017-18)
Idaho Steelheads - Dallas Stars (2017-18)
Indy Fuel - Chicago Blackhawks (2018-19)
Jacksonville IceMen - ?
Kalamazoo Wings - Tampa Bay Lightning (expired)
Kansas City Mavericks - Calgary Flames (2017-18 at least
Manchester Monarchs - Los Angeles Kings (no longer O&O, deal length unknown)/Florida Panthers (unofficial?)
Norfolk Admirals - Nashville Predators (2017-18 at least)
Orlando Solar Bears - Toronto Maple Leafs (option year, not sure whose option)
Quad City Mallards - Vegas Golden Knights (2017-18 at least)
Rapid City Rush - Arizona Coyotes (expired)
Reading Royals - Philadelphia Flyers (2018-19)
South Carolina Stingrays - Washington Capitals (2017-18)
Toledo Walleye - Detroit Red Wings (2017-18)
Tulsa Oilers - Winnipeg Jets (expired)
Utah Grizzlies - Anaheim Ducks (2017-18 at least)
Wheeling Nailers - Pittsburgh Penguins (2017-18)
Wichita Thunder - Ottawa Senators (expired)
Worcester Railers - New York Islanders (2017-18)

Available Affiliations
Minnesota Wild
Vancouver Canucks
Edmonton Oilers
Columbus Blue Jackets
St. Louis Blues

I switched to red for confirmed contract lengths because it stands out better than green.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
2017-18 affiliations
Adirondack Thunder - Calgary Flames (no longer O&O, deal length unknown)/New Jersey Devils (unofficial?)
Allen Americans - San Jose Sharks (2017-18 at least)
Atlanta Gladiators - Boston Bruins (2018-19)
Brampton Beast - Montreal Canadiens (expired)
Cincinnati Cyclones - ?/Columbus Blue Jackets (unofficial?)
Colorado Eagles - Colorado Avalanche (2019-20)
Florida Everblades - Carolina Hurricanes (O&O)
Fort Wayne Komets - INDEPENDENT
Greenville Swamp Rabbits - New York Rangers (2017-18)
Idaho Steelheads - Dallas Stars (2017-18)
Indy Fuel - Chicago Blackhawks (2018-19)
Jacksonville IceMen - ?
Kalamazoo Wings - Tampa Bay Lightning (expired)
Kansas City Mavericks - ?/St. Louis Blues (expired, working agreement)
Manchester Monarchs - Los Angeles Kings (no longer O&O, deal length unknown)/Florida Panthers (unofficial?)
Norfolk Admirals - Nashville Predators (2017-18 at least)
Orlando Solar Bears - Toronto Maple Leafs (option year, not sure whose option)
Quad City Mallards - Minnesota Wild (may be expired)
Rapid City Rush - Arizona Coyotes (expired)
Reading Royals - Philadelphia Flyers (2018-19)
South Carolina Stingrays - Washington Capitals (2017-18)
Toledo Walleye - Detroit Red Wings (2017-18)
Tulsa Oilers - Winnipeg Jets (expired)
Utah Grizzlies - Anaheim Ducks (2017-18 at least)
Wheeling Nailers - Pittsburgh Penguins (2017-18)
Wichita Thunder - Ottawa Senators (expired)
Worcester Railers - New York Islanders (2017-18)

Available Affiliations
Vegas Golden Knights
Vancouver Canucks
Edmonton Oilers
Buffalo Sabres
Sabres are affiliated with Cincy. Was announced a couple of weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad