OT: Who is An Argos Fan?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
If this story has legs, could the Chad Kelly era be over?

From Rick Westhead last week

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

There were a couple of reasons Hajrullahu opted to return to Toronto. One was his relationship with Argos special teams coordinator Mickey Donovan, who was a coach at Western University when Hajrullahu was on his way to setting the all-time Canadian university scoring record.

“Toronto, Hamilton, and multiple other teams always stayed connected while I was down in the NFL. Mickey has always been in contact, even when he was in Montreal before he went to Toronto. He said, ‘Once you’re ready, you let me know if you’re thinking of coming back.’”

One of his other former teams was doing the same thing.

Hajrullahu was also hearing from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, the team with which he played for two seasons, reaching the Grey Cup final in 2019. He asked for his release after that season to pursue his NFL dream and in return he said he’d talk to the Ticats first if he returned to the CFL, which he did before signing in Toronto.

“Things have changed a little bit. I’m working in downtown Toronto, so I tried to make both situations work for me, my football and post-football careers. From the get-go the Argos said, ‘Let us know what we can do for you to be successful, and we’ll make it happen.’ For me, it made a lot more sense to play for the Argos because they were being so understanding of my post-football career. It made the decision a lot easier.”

With John Haggerty coming back to punt for the Argos, the reduced responsibilities for Hajrullahu also came into play. The Boatmen were able to give him more flexibility in terms of practicing, while the Ticats were not as willing to be adhere to his requests to allow him to pursue his other career.

The 33-year-old with the Hon. BA, MA, and MBA is working in the wealth management field with Richter, an operation that’s on the verge of celebrating its 100th anniversary. He spent four years prior to that working with KPMG while he was chasing his NFL dream and is now fully entrenched in the GTA commuter grind, able to drive to work with his wife, Deniza Januzi, from their home in Oakville.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Chad Kelly gone half a season at minimum

Why'd the Argos fire his accuser, though?

The decision comes after the league commissioned an independent third-party investigation into allegations made against Kelly in February by a female former Argos assistant strength coach who is suing him for sexual harassment and the team for wrongful dismissal.

Not a great look for the team, surely. :help:

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
f***ing Chad Kelly.

He's his own worst enemy and now he's put the Argos in a corner.

They have to find another decent QB now. Dukes is OK and can have some success, but he's not enough.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

GUELPH, Ont. — Toronto Argonauts quarterback Chad Kelly was back on the field Thursday, just two days after being suspended by the CFL for violating its gender-based violence policy.

On Tuesday, Kelly was banned from playing in Toronto's two pre-season games and at least nine regular-season contests. That followed a league investigation into a lawsuit filed by a former strength-and-conditioning coach against Kelly for sexual harassment and the Argos for wrongful dismissal.

Kelly was on the field on the second day of Toronto's rookie camp at the University of Guelph, but not in equipment. Dressed in shorts, a long-sleeved shirt and ball cap, he appeared to be working with Argos quarterbacks.

Afterwards, Toronto GM Mike (Pinball) Clemons told reporters Kelly's presence was within the conditions of the CFL's discipline. A league spokesman said Kelly was on the field at the Argos' discretion.

"He (Kelly) was there but did not practise," Clemons said. "He's allowed to be out here, the league has given him that permission and we will follow the league's direction."

Kelly was the CFL's outstanding player last season after leading Toronto to a league-best and franchise-record 16-2 mark. But the Argos' campaign ended with a 38-17 loss to the Montreal Alouettes in the East Division final.

The CFL investigation came after a complainant filed a statement of claim with the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, alleging a pattern of harassment by Kelly, beginning with unwanted romantic advances and escalating into instances of threatening language.

The coach said the Argos didn't act when told of Kelly's behaviour and claims assistant GM John Murphy said she "opened a can of worms that didn't need to be opened."

Clemons said he wasn't aware of the allegations until they became public. He added he never received a report of the CFL's investigation but believes the Argos' legal representatives got an executive summary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad