Minor league affiliation changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Norfolk will be announcing its new affiliation on May 4. Let the speculation begin.
Vancouver/Utica and Buffalo/Rochester are both available and closer than Edmonton/Bakersfield. Ftorek has some history with the Devils, maybe they decide to have an ECHL affiliate again now that they have new leadership and are moving their AHL team to Bingo?

kyfry

Feb 23, 2017
https://twitter.com/NorfolkAdmirals/status/860263689877958660
http://wtkr.com/2017/05/04/norfolk-admirals-announce-new-nhl-affiliate/

Norfolk Admirals will be affiliated with the Nashville Predators for the 2017/18 season. No details on number of years yet.

I loved having Milwaukee/Nashville as our affiliates in Cincinnati. Best of luck to Norfolk with them. I have a strong feeling the Cyclones will affiliate with Cleveland/Columbus. Despite not having an official affiliation we had many call ups to and from Cleveland this past season.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
I'm actively chasing down a media source to confirm whether or not Cincinnati will have a team next year. I told this media person today about Cincinnati's loss of the Nashville affiliation and he said "not surprised, I'll look into it". This same person had told me earlier he was hearing that the Preds were going to end their deal. I'll post a link if I see anything more concrete. Personally I'd be surprised if they don't do a deal with Cle/Col like the person above me said.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Interesting, now you can be an Admiral at both minor league levels as you work your way through the organization.

kyfry

Feb 23, 2017
I'm actively chasing down a media source to confirm whether or not Cincinnati will have a team next year. I told this media person today about Cincinnati's loss of the Nashville affiliation and he said "not surprised, I'll look into it". This same person had told me earlier he was hearing that the Preds were going to end their deal. I'll post a link if I see anything more concrete. Personally I'd be surprised if they don't do a deal with Cle/Col like the person above me said.

I havent heard anything of Cincinnati shutting down. I know US Bank Arena was chosen to host NCAA opening round basketball games in 2022 pending arena renovations or new arena. However I dont expect new arena or renovations to happen right away. The Cyclones would be without a home during that time. Their old arena the Cincinnati Gardens was purchased by the Port Authority of Cincinnati and was closed and will be demolished later this year. Arenas at Xavier, Northern Kentucky University and University of Cincinnati (their arena is undergoing renovations and will reopen in the fall of 2018) do not have ice making capabilities.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Cincinnati just made it official that the Nashville affiliation is ending. However, the Columbus Blue Jackets have been assigning a few players to Cincy and clearly that city would be a priority in their marketing plans. I'd think a CBJ-Cyclones affiliation would be forthcoming at any time. That would give the Jackets a presence in Ohio's 3 largest cities and cover nearly all of their home television market.

The Cyclones didn't really go out of their way to let fans know they had an affiliation with the Preds - nothing in the game program, arena signage, game announcements, et al (which makes some sense. I doubt there are a lot of die-hard Nashville fans living in Cincinnati). Have to think that could change substantially with a Blue Jackets affiliation, as the Jackets could market their team through the Cyclones, and vice-versa.

kyfry

Feb 23, 2017
Cincinnati just made it official that the Nashville affiliation is ending. However, the Columbus Blue Jackets have been assigning a few players to Cincy and clearly that city would be a priority in their marketing plans. I'd think a CBJ-Cyclones affiliation would be forthcoming at any time. That would give the Jackets a presence in Ohio's 3 largest cities and cover nearly all of their home television market.

The Cyclones didn't really go out of their way to let fans know they had an affiliation with the Preds - nothing in the game program, arena signage, game announcements, et al (which makes some sense. I doubt there are a lot of die-hard Nashville fans living in Cincinnati). Have to think that could change substantially with a Blue Jackets affiliation, as the Jackets could market their team through the Cyclones, and vice-versa.

Cincy living Predators fan here. The Cyclones had a decent relationship with Nashville. Ten seasons is a long time for an ECHL affiliation. I dont think the affiliation was promoted much here. If anything people were more aware we were affiliated with Montreal from 2006-10.

I think having the Jackets here would be great. Blue Jackets are my number 2 team. Columbus does market their team down here fairly well. They have had promotions at Reds games. There games are broadcasted on Fox Sports Ohio in Cincinnati. Back when we had the AHL Mighty Ducks they played a preseason game at the Cincinnati Gardens, and the AHL Ducks played a couple of regular season games at Nationwide Arena against the Jackets AHL club at the time, Syracuse.

Govment Cheese

Groooovy
Jul 8, 2010
From the Preds site

https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/predators-sign-affiliation-agreement-with-echls-norfolk-admirals/c-289278524

And the ADS site
ZF35MCxv

Govment Cheese

Groooovy
Jul 8, 2010
Team is using the oreo shooting battleship logo until the new logo is announced.
There was a poll and the original (far left) logo won, but the new owners are looking to put their mark on the team so it could be something new. Which would not be a bad idea. Since a large number of people think the Admirals left when we dropped from AHL to ECHL. Market it as a new team and we brought hockey back to Hampton roads.

Rumor is that the current mascots (Salty and Hat Trick) are done as well. No news on if there will be replacement mascot.

Regular-Season-Schedule-Web-Slider-Teaser.jpg

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
2017-18 affiliations
Adirondack Thunder - Calgary Flames (no longer O&O, deal length unknown)/New Jersey Devils (unofficial?)
Allen Americans - San Jose Sharks (may be expired)
Atlanta Gladiators - Boston Bruins (2018-19)
Brampton Beast - Montreal Canadiens (expired)
Cincinnati Cyclones - ?/Columbus Blue Jackets (unofficial?)
Colorado Eagles - Colorado Avalanche (2019-20)
Florida Everblades - Carolina Hurricanes (O&O)
Fort Wayne Komets - INDEPENDENT
Greenville Swamp Rabbits - New York Rangers (2017-18)
Idaho Steelheads - Dallas Stars (2017-18)
Indy Fuel - Chicago Blackhawks (2018-19)
Jacksonville IceMen - ?
Kalamazoo Wings - Tampa Bay Lightning (expired)
Kansas City Mavericks - ?/St. Louis Blues (expired, working agreement)
Manchester Monarchs - Los Angeles Kings (no longer O&O, deal length unknown)/Florida Panthers (unofficial?)
Norfolk Admirals - Nashville Predators (2017-18 at least)
Orlando Solar Bears - Toronto Maple Leafs (option year, not sure whose option)
Quad City Mallards - Minnesota Wild (may be expired)
Rapid City Rush - Arizona Coyotes (expired)
Reading Royals - Philadelphia Flyers (2018-19)
South Carolina Stingrays - Washington Capitals (2017-18)
Toledo Walleye - Detroit Red Wings (2017-18)
Tulsa Oilers - Winnipeg Jets (expired)
Utah Grizzlies - Anaheim Ducks (2017-18 at least)
Wheeling Nailers - Pittsburgh Penguins (2017-18)
Wichita Thunder - Ottawa Senators (expired)
Worcester Railers - New York Islanders (2017-18)

Available Affiliations
Vegas Golden Knights
Vancouver Canucks
Edmonton Oilers
Buffalo Sabres

Last edited:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
2017-18 affiliations
Adirondack Thunder - Calgary Flames (no longer O&O, deal length unknown)/New Jersey Devils (unofficial?)
Atlanta Gladiators - Boston Bruins (2017-18)
Elmira Jackals - Buffalo Sabres (may be expired)
Jacksonville IceMen - ?
Manchester Monarchs - Los Angeles Kings (no longer O&O, deal length unknown)/Florida Panthers (unofficial?)

Available Affiliations
Vegas Golden Knights
Vancouver Canucks
Edmonton Oilers

The Jackals have either suspended or folded, depending on which articles you read. Either way they won't be affiliated with anyone for 2017-2018 at least.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
By the way, if anyone can confirm or correct the info I have regarding the length of affiliation agreements, please let me know.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
2017-18 affiliations
Atlanta Gladiators - Boston Bruins (2017-18)
Jacksonville IceMen - ?

Available Affiliations
Vegas Golden Knights
Vancouver Canucks
Edmonton Oilers
Buffalo Sabres

The Gladiators and Bruins are affiliated through 2018-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad