Minor league affiliation changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Looks like affiliation renewed.

It's going to take something strange for the Sharks to leave Allen. When the WorSharks were around the SJ front office guys were really impressed with what's going on there and really liked the facilities. Even after games when we'd all be drinking at the 99 or Uno's they still said the same thing (although more colorfully :laugh:).

randyc

Apr 2, 2007
Suffolk, Virginia
I Can Understand

I can understand the unhappiness by the Cyclones fan. Last season the ECHL affiliate for Buffalo was the Elmira Jackals. They finished 13-47-4-8 and 42 points, the worst by far record in the league.

kyfry

Feb 23, 2017
Hopefully this is only a one season deal and then the Cyclones take a hiatus to rebuild their arena and comeback as a Blue Jackets affiliate.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Hopefully this is only a one season deal and then the Cyclones take a hiatus to rebuild their arena and comeback as a Blue Jackets affiliate.

All ECHL Affiliations are 1 year deals unless otherwise specified as is Atlanta (Gwinnett) AND Boston, I'm not sure why Cincinnati needs to align with Cleveland and Columbus other than being in the same state.....

doesn't mean Columbus won't have a working agreement with Cincinnati.

but the Cyclones have taken 5 hiatuses over that franchise history, I CAN easily recall the 2 team/league era in Cincinnati and those issues between the Cyclones and Anaheim's affiliation with the Ducks, that collapsed, kyfry, under the Robinson led ownership, after they left Baltimore, as the Bandits, and briefly, that ownership tried setting up as the Railraiders, after the Anaheim team jumped to Portland when Washington replaced Colorado in Hershey (2005).

Last edited:

kyfry

Feb 23, 2017
All ECHL Affiliations are 1 year deals unless otherwise specified as is Atlanta (Gwinnett) AND Boston, I'm not sure why Cincinnati needs to align with Cleveland and Columbus other than being in the same state.....

doesn't mean Columbus won't have a working agreement with Cincinnati.

but the Cyclones have taken 5 hiatuses over that franchise history, I CAN easily recall the 2 team/league era in Cincinnati and those issues between the Cyclones and Anaheim's affiliation with the Ducks, that collapsed, kyfry, under the Robinson led ownership, after they left Baltimore, as the Bandits, and briefly, that ownership tried setting up as the Railraiders, after the Anaheim team jumped to Portland when Washington replaced Colorado in Hershey (2005).

Good to know on deals only being one year. Never realized that. I know fans for years have been wanting an official affiliation with Columbus and since the ECHL doesnt allow dual affiliations anymore that we have had an "unofficial working agreement" with Columbus and Cleveland for awhile now.

My family was season ticket holders for most of the Ducks seasons. I loved going to the Gardens for the games. It was a great place for hockey. My dad was cheap and didnt want to shell out at the more expensive Cyclones games during the hockey war years. We were sad to see Anaheim go. The fiasco that was the Railraiders trying to get off the ground was rough.

We were Cyclones ticket holders for a couple of seasons after their first Kelly Cup title. The Cyclones only missed two seasons since 1990 but if you count the ECHL franchise lineage they missed four seasons. (1999-01 after Miami, and 2004-06). The Cyclones would have to take hiatus again if US Bank Arena gets torn down and rebuilt or heavily renovated as part of the agreement for the arena to host NCAA basketball tournement in 2022. Seeing as how the Gardens is being torn down later this year and all of the college venues nearby dont have ice making capabilities, the team would have to shut down again with there being no viable options nearby.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The Buffalo relationship makes perfect sense for the Cyclones. Chuck Weber, who coached in Cincinnati for 4 years and won two Kelly Cups, coaches for Rochester (the Buffalo AHL affiliate) and still has close ties to the Cincinnati area and Cyclones management. Weber will be a sound influence on the relationship between the two organizations.

The renovation of US Bank Arena is a longshot. The current ownership isn't going to pay for it and the City and County are still on the hook for other stadiums and just spent a ton on the worthless Trolley system. The notion that a first and second round NCAA date will move the meter on a $150+ million project is laughable.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
The Buffalo relationship makes perfect sense for the Cyclones. Chuck Weber, who coached in Cincinnati for 4 years and won two Kelly Cups, coaches for Rochester (the Buffalo AHL affiliate) and still has close ties to the Cincinnati area and Cyclones management. Weber will be a sound influence on the relationship between the two organizations.

There's a historical tie, too: The Sabres' original AHL team was based in Cincinnati (and they won a Calder Cup during their existence).

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
There's a historical tie, too: The Sabres' original AHL team was based in Cincinnati (and they won a Calder Cup during their existence).

Indeed they did! Great recollection.

Did you know that all of the Calder Cup final "home games" of those Cincinnati Swords were played at Buffalo's Aud? The Swords were bumped by the circus at their Cincinnati Gardens home:laugh:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
All ECHL Affiliations are 1 year deals unless otherwise specified .

So all affiliations are one year, except for the ones that aren't? Kind of an odd statement. Sort of like saying "everyone's house will burn down tomorrow, except for the ones that don't". Technically true, but still likely to cause misunderstanding.

ECHL affiliation agreements can be any length the two parties agree on. Player contracts can't be more than one year, but there are no rules about affiliation length.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
So all affiliations are one year, except for the ones that aren't? Kind of an odd statement. Sort of like saying "everyone's house will burn down tomorrow, except for the ones that don't". Technically true, but still likely to cause misunderstanding.

ECHL affiliation agreements can be any length the two parties agree on. Player contracts can't be more than one year, but there are no rules about affiliation length.

it was always UNDERSTOOD TO BE a 1 year agreement, Royals, unlike the higher leagues where you can have up to 10 year contracts or PDC, that's why it is unique when it's more than a single year, as Atlanta (Gwinnett) AND Boston are....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad