Value of: Mike Green to EDM

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I am all for becoming a buyer but there are other venues I would like to explore. Stone for instance being a UFA and someone that would likely want to resign potentially after the expansion draft (Russell really could throw a wrench into things too). I am all for trading off future assets for players now, but we are going to need some prospects with cheap contracts in the coming years. Benson is the one that really sours me on the deal, would rather trade our first.

Yeah, we'll need guys on ELC. Benson could be a good 2nd line LWer in 2-3 years that we'll need.

If DET is out, any DET fans want to chime in -- would you guys be open to moving Green to EDM for a 1st as a base? I'm not entirely sure about your cap situation, I could be wrong but if I recall correctly you guys are up pretty tight with it right? This obviously assumes we are in a playoff position/position for a run (who knows if we'll be there)

If a small plus was needed on top of the 1st, I'm open to it. I imagine you'd want a prospect because of the cap situation. Maybe Jones? He'll be playing for Team USA at the WJC coming up here. Brother of Seth Jones.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Yeah, we'll need guys on ELC. Benson could be a good 2nd line LWer in 2-3 years that we'll need.

If DET is out, any DET fans want to chime in -- would you guys be open to moving Green to EDM for a 1st as a base? I'm not entirely sure about your cap situation, I could be wrong but if I recall correctly you guys are up pretty tight with it right? This obviously assumes we are in a playoff position/position for a run (who knows if we'll be there)

If a small plus was needed on top of the 1st, I'm open to it. I imagine you'd want a prospect because of the cap situation. Maybe Jones? He'll be playing for Team USA at the WJC coming up here. Brother of Seth Jones.

Sold.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

Green signed 1 more year. Playing great for us.

1st + Good prospect (or Yandle style return) i think is more than fair.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Thanks, I think Caleb Jones would be a reasonable add due to the extra year on Green's contract.

He's a solid young D prospect, he'll be representing the USA at the upcoming WJC. Likely on the top pair.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

This is pretty much my thinking as well, Though Green is 31 now i would assume that Holland would still be seeking a Yandle type of return for Green if we're going to start a rebuild we should be able to get some decent picks for him at least and possibly a decent RHD prospect to boot. After all he is on a 40+ point pace this year.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Thanks, I think Caleb Jones would be a reasonable add due to the extra year on Green's contract.

He's a solid young D prospect, he'll be representing the USA at the upcoming WJC. Likely on the top pair.

Sounds good to me, Where do we sign. Caleb Jones+Edmonton's 2017 1st rounder for Mike Green sounds like a wonderful basis to me and i could see Green resigning with Edmonton as they're an up and coming team they just need D really bad just like Detroit more or less RHD for both clubs.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Sounds good to me, Where do we sign. Caleb Jones+Edmonton's 2017 1st rounder for Mike Green sounds like a wonderful basis to me and i could see Green resigning with Edmonton as they're an up and coming team they just need D really bad just like Detroit more or less RHD for both clubs.

Jones is a fair addition because Green is signed through the 2017-18 season rather than being a UFA at the end of 2017. The extra year makes it fair to include a solid D prospect in Jones.

Green would be a perfect addition to be our RHD that can be our PPQB.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'm in for this.

Anyway you guys want Helm, Abdelkader, Howard, Smith, Vanek? lmao.

Ship is sinking here..time to sell!

Smith and Vanek are pending UFAs next summer and could be dealt at the TDL if we're out of a playoff spot. Howard is gone after this year any ways. Hopefully Vegas takes him in the expansion draft. Or maybe Holland retains a little with 2 years left and he's traded or more then likely scenario is that he's bought out. Helm and Abdelkader we're stuck with.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Jones is a fair addition because Green is signed through the 2017-18 season rather than being a UFA at the end of 2017. The extra year makes it fair to include a solid D prospect in Jones.

Green would be a perfect addition to be our RHD that can be our PPQB.

The only thing making me leery about this deal is that damn expansion draft. If we trade for Green, we will obviously need to go with the 4 and 4 protection in the draft.

Defense - Sekera, Green, Larsson, Klefbom (Nurse exempt).

Forwards - Draisaitl, Lucic, Nuge, Eberle (if not traded). Cagguila, McDavid Pulujarvi exempt.

Leaves us Davidson, Pouliot, Maroon, Pitlick, Brossoit and Letestu as notables that would be unprotected. The only one I'm really worried about losing is Maroon, I'm not sure if 1.5 years of Green is worth losing him specifically.

Not saying I wouldn't do this deal, just that I have reservations thanks to the expansion draft.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Unless ownership starts heading for a full rebuild here shortly, I doubt that Holland would trade Mike Green. And with us going into Little Caesars Arena in 2017 the Illitches will still want a competitive club so i doubt we trade Green. Maybe if we're out of the playoffs come the TDL of 2018 then maybe we wont get as much for him then then now but i can't see us moving our best D man right now.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The only thing making me leery about this deal is that damn expansion draft. If we trade for Green, we will obviously need to go with the 4 and 4 protection in the draft.

Forwards - Draisaitl, Lucic, Nuge, Eberle (if not traded). Cagguila, McDavid Pulujarvi exempt.

Leaves us Davidson, Pouliot, Maroon, Pitlick, Brossoit and Letestu as notables that would be unprotected. The only one I'm really worried about losing is Maroon, I'm not sure if 1.5 years of Green is worth losing him specifically.

Not saying I wouldn't do this deal, just that I have reservations thanks to the expansion draft.

A couple of us were talking about this the other day, if we do lose Maroon so be it. Love Big Rig, but if the "possibility" of losing him prevents us from going after a RHDPPQB when we're in a playoff spot that would be a shame. Khaira will be ready to step up anyways. Besides, I think they'll lean towards Davidson or Pouliot.

Fear of what Vegas "might do" shouldn't prevent us from making a move to get better if we're in a position for a playoff run.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Unless ownership starts heading for a full rebuild here shortly, I doubt that Holland would trade Mike Green. And with us going into Little Caesars Arena in 2017 the Illitches will still want a competitive club so i doubt we trade Green. Maybe if we're out of the playoffs come the TDL of 2018 then maybe we wont get as much for him then then now but i can't see us moving our best D man right now.

I guess it all depends where you guys are at and us by the TDL.

The reason some of us thought it might make sense is you guys are under cap pressure if I recall correctly? I haven't checked. Getting a 1st + a quality prospect at least helps relieve some cap space.

Green would be a nice fit for us, but like you said depends how your ownership views things with a new arena coming.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk

We aren't competitive WITH Mike Green now in our "Farewell season at the Joe"

Who cares what next season looks like without him. People will go just because they want to see the new arena. Not to mention the place will still be packed with other venues and Pistons as well.

Need to think about the future. Is Green going to be apart of our future in 4 years? 5 years? He is playing good. At this rate the Wings will be picking like 6-10. Move Green(EDM) and Vanek(WAS? ANA? anyone willing to pay) for a couple later 1st round picks. Someone could take Smith as a 7th depth D for a conditional. Just get rid of him if possible. Also, I doubt Howard is moved since realistically you have to leave one goaltender unprotected. He is the obvious choice no matter what. Likely he is gone. Which is good for us however I wish they'd take Abby, Helm, Ericsson off our hands.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

The Oilers have been looking for a RHD for how long? Bottom six forwards, third pairing injury prone D, and a future back up that we couldnt protect anyways hasn't been the Oilers issue. No reservations here

I will take the deal of a 1st round pick and Jones but I want this pick to be 2018. This draft sucks.
SOLD!!!

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
This is pretty much my thinking as well, Though Green is 31 now i would assume that Holland would still be seeking a Yandle type of return for Green if we're going to start a rebuild we should be able to get some decent picks for him at least and possibly a decent RHD prospect to boot. After all he is on a 40+ point pace this year.
Geez pump the brakes here boys from an Edmonton point of view. I've always liked Mike Green but he's 37 not 31 and I don't care if he's signed next year with the expansion draft coming. I'd absolutely take him at the right price, but at the cost of a 1st and a prospect?? That would be foolhardy.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Geez pump the brakes here boys from an Edmonton point of view. I've always liked Mike Green but he's 37 not 31 and I don't care if he's signed next year with the expansion draft coming. I'd absolutely take him at the right price, but at the cost of a 1st and a prospect?? That would be foolhardy.

No, no he's not 37...

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

With the forwards available we are more likely to lose Davidson, whom I would trade for Green easily. I think Maroon will be viewed as a product of McDavid and GMs will pick guys with better wheels.

I'm not sure I'd add Caleb Smith on the 1st... a prospect D, sure, but for me it would need to be someone who is closer to NHL, but maybe less upside. Say Simpson

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

:laugh: Get real here Mike Green just turned 31 he's far away from 37 dude. Don't make the poor guy out to be older then he already is geesh.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We aren't competitive WITH Mike Green now in our "Farewell season at the Joe"

Who cares what next season looks like without him. People will go just because they want to see the new arena. Not to mention the place will still be packed with other venues and Pistons as well.

Need to think about the future. Is Green going to be apart of our future in 4 years? 5 years? He is playing good. At this rate the Wings will be picking like 6-10. Move Green(EDM) and Vanek(WAS? ANA? anyone willing to pay) for a couple later 1st round picks. Someone could take Smith as a 7th depth D for a conditional. Just get rid of him if possible. Also, I doubt Howard is moved since realistically you have to leave one goaltender unprotected. He is the obvious choice no matter what. Likely he is gone. Which is good for us however I wish they'd take Abby, Helm, Ericsson off our hands.

Call me greedy but if I'm the Oilers offering up one of my top defensive prospects and a 1st, I want Vanek, too. Besides, Vanek owes Lowe a solid for making him a quadrillionaire after that offer sheet years ago.

There's got to be some mega-deal that can be worked out, I'm sure.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Call me greedy but if I'm the Oilers offering up one of my top defensive prospects and a 1st, I want Vanek, too. Besides, Vanek owes Lowe a solid for making him a quadrillionaire after that offer sheet years ago.

There's got to be some mega-deal that can be worked out, I'm sure.

Green + Vanek + Sheahan for RNH + Fayne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad