Value of: Mike Green to EDM

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
No interest in seeing the Oilers trade a 1st or a 1st plus for a guy like Green.

Maybe a 2nd and a lower end prospect otherwise no thanks.

If they're moving a 1st round pick for a defenseman it should be as part of a package for a young core piece to move forward with.

A guy like Green just isin't worth it for a team in Edmonton's point of rebuilding especially in an expansion year.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
2018 1st and John Marino.

Edmonton can keep their 1st this year for picking or dealing to further help the club make the playoffs.

As an Oil fan I say yes please. I would prefer giving up the 2017 1st (as other posters have suggested), but would still pull the trigger if it had to be 2018.

Green would be the perfect addition to our PP (when considering who might actually be available).

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
As an Oil fan I say yes please. I would prefer giving up the 2017 1st (as other posters have suggested), but would still pull the trigger if it had to be 2018.

Green would be the perfect addition to our PP (when considering who might actually be available).

Well I like the 2018 draft better. That's my reasoning. If it's the 2017 1st, then I think I'd want the Oilers to up the value from my OP. Not something outlandish, but someone like Paigin.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Well I like the 2018 draft better. That's my reasoning. If it's the 2017 1st, then I think I'd want the Oilers to up the value from my OP. Not something outlandish, but someone like Paigin.

Asking for someone like Paigin is outlandish. He's promising enough that he's not a throw in for Mike Green.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Asking for someone like Paigin is outlandish. He's promising enough that he's not a throw in for Mike Green.

Mike Green is a 22-25 minute a night 40+ point RHD PP QB signed for this year and the next.

You don't get him for a pick and a throw in.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Implicit in trading Green - whether its at the deadline or post-expansion - is Holland acknowledging that the Wings aren't competing next year. Thus, I expect him to try and expedite the rebuild as much as possible, and given his financial flexibility, I would imagine that means major retention on a guy like Green to boost the bidding. I would imagine if Edmonton were only throwing out 2nds for Green that the Rags or Bruins or even Leafs, depending on the year of the pick, would be happy to give up an anticipated middle-to-late 1st rounder for Mike Green at $3M for the year. And maybe even take on a modest cap dump to boot.

Either way, I expect whoever loses out on Shattenkirk to target Green.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Look at the Yandle deal. That will be comparable to what Green would get if he was available. Offers of a 2nd is a joke.

Yandle was younger when he was traded than Green is now, produced better offensive numbers despite being on a team largely devoid of meaningful offensive talent upfront and for a coach with a reputation of being a defense first guy. Yandle was also known as having one of the best breakout passes in the league, which was backed up by the advanced stats at the time and Arizona ate half of his salary in the deal. I seriously doubt any Green trade would fetch a comparable return to what Yandle got at the time of his first trade, asking for a 1st round pick though seems completely reasonable and I could see someone paying that to add him as a deadline acquisition, if you are expecting a better return than that I'd assume cap retention would have to be on the table.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Fayne + 1st + prospect for Green would be worth it unless we lose him to expansion right away.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Yandle was younger when he was traded than Green is now, produced better offensive numbers despite being on a team largely devoid of meaningful offensive talent upfront and for a coach with a reputation of being a defense first guy. Yandle was also known as having one of the best breakout passes in the league, which was backed up by the advanced stats at the time and Arizona ate half of his salary in the deal. I seriously doubt any Green trade would fetch a comparable return to what Yandle got at the time of his first trade, asking for a 1st round pick though seems completely reasonable and I could see someone paying that to add him as a deadline acquisition, if you are expecting a better return than that I'd assume cap retention would have to be on the table.

Do the Oilers even have a Duclair-like prospect, a guy with lots of name recognition and post-draft buzz, to offer in a trade for Green?

Most prospects are either already in the NHL (Benning, Caggiula, Puljujarvi) or relative unknowns (Khaira, Benson, Paigan, Bear).

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Do the Oilers even have a Duclair-like prospect, a guy with lots of name recognition and post-draft buzz, to offer in a trade for Green?

Most prospects are either already in the NHL (Benning, Caggiula, Puljujarvi) or relative unknowns (Khaira, Benson, Paigan, Bear).

We certainly do not have a prospect on Duclair's level in the system, all the best young guys are already in the NHL.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
We certainly do not have a prospect on Duclair's level in the system, all the best young guys are already in the NHL.

Yeah, I could see that being a potential sticking point if talks to acquire Green really heat up. Detroit isn't just going to give him away, but I'm really interested to see what sorts of players/prospects/picks will be in play for a Dman that will likely have to protected in the upcoming expansion draft.

Or maybe GM's are going to go into this with the mindset that they'll have no intention of protecting Green in the draft. Therefore they'll value him like a trade deadline UFA deal.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Bump.

Mike Green to Edmonton is more intriguing now than ever. They really need a PP QB and specifically a RD. They also really need a pure puck moving/offensive 2nd pairing right hand D

Greens deal is also up after next year which is when cap becomes a concern for Edmonton

So: In the situation where wings are out of playoff picture and Edmonton is still in it by the TDL- would 2nd + Caleb Jones be a good deal for both clubs? Allows Wings to start a rebuild/retool and Edmontons get a big need
So who do you send down? Benning, Davidson, or Nurse?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
*If* the Oilers are in the playoff hunt come deadline time I think you have to go for it if you're Chia. Enough with the rebuild, 10 years of rebuilding is enough, lol.

I'd do a 1st for Green.

He's under contract for next year too, so it could net Edmonton two playoff berths not just one. The Oilers have had enough draft picks, if they are in position to do something this year, they need to do it.

Klefbom Larsson
Russell Green
Nurse Sekera

Is a solid set of D. A legit PP QB and point shot in general would be a game changer for the Oilers.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Isn't Green like extremely sheltered?

Haven't watched many this year

But I know he is receiving the same amount or less (it wasn't even that much) criticism for his dfensive play. And even when he did. I thought it was just because they got it stuck in their head he can only play in the ozone. He's fine in the dzone imo

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Green is DET #1D, he's getting 24 mins a night and goes un-noticed, which is a good thing. I'd say he's staying on DET, but maybe Holland goes full selling mode :laugh:

In a trade, he would garner what Yandle got when he was traded to NYR : a blue-chip prospect, a 1st and a 2nd. Maybe because of his age, it would be slightly less, but not far-off.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Green is DET #1D, he's getting 24 mins a night and goes un-noticed, which is a good thing. I'd say he's staying on DET, but maybe Holland goes full selling mode :laugh:

In a trade, he would garner what Yandle got when he was traded to NYR : a blue-chip prospect, a 1st and a 2nd. Maybe because of his age, it would be slightly less, but not far-off.

was yandle not a UFA making him strictly a playoff only player?

If Greeen is traded and whomever trades for him gets him for next season as well which drives up his value

Kelevra

Mar 6, 2007
was yandle not a UFA making him strictly a playoff only player?

If Greeen is traded and whomever trades for him gets him for next season as well which drives up his value

Yandle actually had a year left and half salary retained and no expansion issues. Green won't get close to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad