Value of: Mike Green to EDM

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Supposing if Detroit starts the season on a slide, similar to how they wrapped up last year (sub .500 at 8-12 over the final quarter of the season), what are the chances Green could become available?

He's not the player he once was, and likely not totally worth his 6 million dollar price tag, but he's still a capable 2nd pairing defenceman, which is more than can be said about most of the other options out there currently (Wisniewski, Wideman, Franson, Boyle, Zidlicky). He would nicely round out Edmonton's top 4 with Sekera on the second pairing. Plus his contracts runs out at the perfect time for Edmonton, right before McDavid needs an extension.

Detroit could still focus on their younger (and cheaper) offensive RH defencemen in Smith and even Sproul so they're not creating an unfillable hole in their roster. Plus they free up salary to get into the Shattenkirk sweepstakes next year. Hell, they could likely look to flip the return from Green for Shattenkirk and end up with the superior player for this year.

I'd offer up next year's 1st, but does that get into the ballpark? Perhaps add a defensive prospect? (knowing that Detroit is currently drowning in forwards and has Mrazek in net) Or is there just no sale here?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
only if he signs a four year extension for 4mill a year

I do not believe in trading first rounders for players who are on count down to UFA. If The oilers were about to go on a deep playoff drive that is something--oilers are not ready to become buyers at the level where you start trading 1st rounder for short term solutions

BTW

Green has a full NTC

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

I do not believe in trading first rounders for players who are on count down to UFA. If The oilers were about to go on a deep playoff drive that is something--oilers are not ready to become buyers at the level where you start trading 1st rounder for short term solutions

BTW

Green has a full NTC

He can't extend until next July.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Even though I'm going to sound a bit contradictory in this post...

Detroit has one of the worst D-cores in the league, hard to see them coughing up such an integral piece.

Yes, but in the team's current state, they're likely not going anywhere. Could be a good time to add a valuable asset for a guy who may not be a long term piece.

He's two years off UFA, it's not exactly a pure rental, plus he's from Western Canada, so I doubt it's going to be an impossible sell to get him to come here or keep him à la Shattenkirk. If anything this is the exact piece Edmonton should be targeting for its first, the team desperately needs some quality vets to support the youth.

How much further can the Oiler's go hoping the kids can do it all themselves, fail, and then hope the next gen can do it? This is take 3. Hording young assets would be doing the same thing all over again.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Even though I'm going to sound a bit contradictory in this post...

Yes, but in the team's current state, they're likely not going anywhere. Could be a good time to add a valuable asset for a guy who may not be a long term piece.

He's two years off UFA, it's not exactly a pure rental, plus he's from Western Canada, so I doubt it's going to be an impossible sell to get him to come here or keep him à la Shattenkirk. If anything this is the exact piece Edmonton should be targeting for its first, the team desperately needs some quality vets to support the youth.

How much further can the Oiler's go hoping the kids can do it all themselves, fail, and then hope the next gen can do it? This is take 3. Hording young assets would be doing the same thing all over again.

and the oilers are more then 2 years away from being ground shakers

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
and the oilers are more then 2 years away from being ground shakers

Are they?

Suppose they make this trade, where‘s the weakness with the team? Defence?

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Green
Davidson-Fayne/Nurse
Oesterle

Talbot, Gustavsson, and Brossoit in net?

Or at forward, which even without Hall is still very deep.

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Puljujarvi
Maroon-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian

That's a competitive team, and a good starting point for learning to walk before the team runs.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Are they?

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Green
Davidson-Fayne/Nurse
Oesterle

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Puljujarvi
Maroon-Draisaitl-Yakupov

That's a competitive team, and a good starting point for learning to walk before the team runs.

Agree there. That's a solid (if unspectacular) D-core. Green is a guy can certainly help. He's not all offense, he's actually still very effective at 5on5. A puck-mover could certainly help the young forwards as well and hopefully allow McDavid to really explode. That's two solid pairs and Davidson/Oesterle/Fayne are more than credible to play a bottom-pair role.

If Anaheim falters (because Carlyle...), the team posted above probably has a good shot at the playoffs. At the very least, I don't see them being a bad team.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Isn't Green like extremely sheltered?

The Oiler could afford to shelter him with Larsson and Fayne taking basically all of the defensive zone starts on the right side. He'd get ample PP time and offensive starts at ES.

I don't see why Detroit trades him though. Seems like wishful thinking on Oiler fans parts.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Detroit needs cap relief.
The best I could offer at this time for Green is Andrew Ference and maybe a late round pick.
If its later in the season and Detroit has solved its cap problems not sure if I'm really interested.

pdarnold

Aug 9, 2016
Red wings fan here - I'd do it, Green for a 1st + decent D prospect

Green was fairly solid last season I thought, but Wings need to rebuild around a younger core moving forward (Larkin, AA, Mrazek, Mantha, Dekeyser)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Supposing if Detroit starts the season on a slide, similar to how they wrapped up last year (sub .500 at 8-12 over the final quarter of the season), what are the chances Green could become available?

He's not the player he once was, and likely not totally worth his 6 million dollar price tag, but he's still a capable 2nd pairing defenceman, which is more than can be said about most of the other options out there currently (Wisniewski, Wideman, Franson, Boyle, Zidlicky). He would nicely round out Edmonton's top 4 with Sekera on the second pairing. Plus his contracts runs out at the perfect time for Edmonton, right before McDavid needs an extension.

Detroit could still focus on their younger (and cheaper) offensive RH defencemen in Smith and even Sproul so they're not creating an unfillable hole in their roster. Plus they free up salary to get into the Shattenkirk sweepstakes next year. Hell, they could likely look to flip the return from Green for Shattenkirk and end up with the superior player for this year.

I'd offer up next year's 1st, but does that get into the ballpark? Perhaps add a defensive prospect? (knowing that Detroit is currently drowning in forwards and has Mrazek in net) Or is there just no sale here?

Green basically is Wideman. If you're going to ship a 1st rounder for Green instead of taking Wideman for free you're crazy. Oilers 1st could still be a top 5 pick next year. Go a short term fix like Wideman. You might even get the Flames to eat a chunk of the money.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Green is like the 5th to last person I'd move. You can have 3 of our forward lines before you can have Green.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

Green for a top protected first would be ok, but anything more and I would be leary. If he turns in the same body of work as he did last year in Detroit for the next 2 years it would be tough to think about signing him at 31 for any length of time. The risk of losing the asset for those 2 years is probably only worth it if he is able to put up 40-50 points per year. $6.0 million for 35 points is rough, let alone having to sign him on the back half of his career for anything close to that number.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Red wings fan here - I'd do it, Green for a 1st + decent D prospect

Green was fairly solid last season I thought, but Wings need to rebuild around a younger core moving forward (Larkin, AA, Mrazek, Mantha, Dekeyser)

Done.

Don't know why Oiler fans are reluctant to give up the 1st. This is 2 full seasons of Green for a pick that likely won't even be top 10 if they get Green. I'd do that deal without hesitation. Time to win now.
Him having a NTC could complicate matters though even if Edmonton is now a much more attractive place to play.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
The only scenario I see Green being traded is that Detroit is so far out of the playoff race that a rebuild has to take place. Even then, I can't see Holland trading what is arguably the team's best D. The asking price is great, having another 1st round pick would be great and he would be going to a Western Conference team, but it just doesn't seem like a feasible deal to me.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Not that it really matters but Smith is a LHD.

I'd do the trade for the first + prospect since we need to rebuild in some areas anyway. Like mentioned before build around Larkin, DeKeyser, and Mrazek. Hopefully Mantha, Svechnikov, and Cholowski develop into some core pieces. We have a ton of prospect depth at forward in return could use some additional ammo at developing our own defense.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Are they?

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Green
Davidson-Fayne/Nurse
Oesterle

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Puljujarvi
Maroon-Draisaitl-Yakupov

The Oilers on paper have been the best team in the NHL for a few years now. However they have never lived up to their potential.

Now, it might be they are being over rated potential wise, or it might be other factors, but until they show they can play like how they should, I won't be giving them credit, despite that I think they go on a Cinderella run this year.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Wings won't trade Green if they have a shot at making the playoffs. He is the teams best D-man and they really can't afford to lose him.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Detroit needs cap relief.
The best I could offer at this time for Green is Andrew Ference and maybe a late round pick.
If its later in the season and Detroit has solved its cap problems not sure if I'm really interested.

You want the Wings to trade their best D for the definition of a useless cap dump and a 5th/6th?

I've seen some weird things on HF..

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Green might not be an ideal fit, but he does bring the tools that we need so Edmonton would be stupid to not take him for the pittance being discussed here.

That said, if Detroit were to make him available (and they would be stupid to), they could get a lot of interest for him I think, which would mean that Edmonton would have to pony up something pretty good for him. And not "Yakupov and a pick" good, or "Reinhart and another prospect" good, a legitimately valuable piece, and I don't think Chiarelli would have the pieces Detroit would need.

We'd be better off signing the Wiz and hoping for the best I think.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Detroit's not trading Green, Holland has wanted him for awhile. We need to upgrade the D not trade one of our better D-men especially for a D prospect that we already have tons of in the system. We already have Ouellet, Sproul and Jensen that are no long waiver eligible. Most likely as of now unless we add a D-man through a trade it looks like Ouellet most likely gets the #7 D spot in the lineup unless Sproul that i hope has a great camp and makes it. But Green isn't going anywhere he only has 2 years left and most likely isn't a long term commitment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad