Confirmed with Link: Mika Zibanejad & a 2018 2nd rd pick OTT for Derick Brassard & a 2018 7th rd pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is this:

Zibanejad has an AMAZING shot, both wrist and slap.

We should use him in the Stamkos/Ovechkin spot on the PP and let him blast one-timers from the top of the circle.

His hands in right are amazing too. Reminds me of Michael Nylander or Petr Sykora in that sense that he ROOFS the puck with such ease in tight. Love it.

Yeah, definitely has a good shot and great hands as well. Excited to see what he does this year.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
This trade confuses me. I thought Brassard was an intrigal piece of the offense and to see him go for a promising, but completely unproven playoff player

All young players are unproven. Nearly all young players are inconsistent.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
All young players are unproven. Nearly all young players are inconsistent.

Also worth noting that Brassard had never played a playoff game before coming the Rangers.

Don't know if Z-Diddy will be the type that steps up to the plate. But this isn't uncharted territory either.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yeah, we've been sorely lacking a good player that wears the number 93 for a month now :sarcasm:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
There were similar questions of professionalism with JT Miller before last summer. No surprise that they are both from the same draft class. Miller saw the light and took a pretty big leap last season.

Miller is nowhere near as good as Mika right now, he was never anywhere near as good as Mike in the past, and he almost certainly will never be as good as Mika in the future.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Also worth noting that Brassard had never played a playoff game before coming the Rangers.

Don't know if Z-Diddy will be the type that steps up to the plate. But this isn't uncharted territory either.

He scored the OT gwg in the gold medal game at the WJC, and if I remember right, had a pretty great tournament otherwise, so there's some history to stepping up in big games (albeit not quite the same as the NHL playoffs)

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
We get a 23 year old player with nice upside and a second round pick for a 29 year old and portions of this board still find a way to go off the deep end.

:popcorn:

I'm pretty mad we haven't done similar trades with Nash and Zuccarello, if that counts.

Somewhere beyond the tearing down of Brassard and elevating him to DemiGod status, is the reality that Brassard was a very good player for us.

He's found his niche, has his flaws, but is at his peak.

Mika is a young #6 overall who developed better than a large majority of #6 overall picks, give or take a couple spots (Brendl, Montoya, Sundstrom being our last three picks in the 4-8 range). You don't get that - and a second round pick - for a crap player. We gave up a good player, but a good player at his peak. Give it another two years and Brass would've brought back a couple of second rounders at best.

Silverberg+Theodore would be fine by me. Also no interest in Fowler.

You don't acquire 2 players for 1 in an expansion season. It forces you to expose and lose a better player in the expansion draft.

Must be a bit weird to realize that the mere fact that a team acquired you means they're not going for it this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Brassard was not a defensive liability but he wasn't a PKer either. Zibbs does kill penalties so that is an area i think we got better in. The two had similar FO%, that is one area I wish we got a lot better in in the deal.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I'm pretty mad we haven't done similar trades with Nash and Zuccarello, if that counts.

That I'll agree with, no reason to go half way if they are taking on more risk.

I actually want them to take on more future thinking risks if/when they trade away the other established players.

Forget just sink or swim, I want either a record setting rocket boat or the Mariana Trench

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I don't get some of the arguments made early in the thread.

One person argued he'd get over 5 M AAV as a 23 year old RFA off of what will likely be about 50 pts. I don't think that's ever happened.

Others are looking at how Brass is a great PO performer and Zib might not be. WHile that's true it's ultimately irrelevant. This team isn't a PO winning team anymore right now. What's more, guys like Brass and Nash are only going to get worse. Two years from now when Zib is 25 and entering his prime Brass is a 31 year old!

If we can get rid of Nash for a similar return I'd be very happy. Problem is we desperately need some young D still.

Losing Duke, who should absolutely be a part of this exciting young nucleus, absolutely kills me but this move is a helluva good first step to reloading.

Kreider, Hayes, Fasth, Lindberg, McI, Skjei, Buch, Zib, Miller.

10 damn talented guys under 25. SOme of them are set for the 3rd of 4th line like Fasth and Lindberg but they're looking to be GOOD bottom 6 players.

Still got Step and McD in their prime for another 3 or 4 years too.

The weak link, as it always seems to be, is a definitive lack of top line, top pair talent.

Last edited:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
for once we trade high....everyone cries about it.

we trade low, everyone cries about it....we let his value deplete, we waited too long, etc.

rangers made a great trade..im ecstatic..

im with beacon...trade MZA & Klein while their value is high...if you cant get proper value for Nash, wait till the TDL and move him then, give him a chance to build it back up.

value, value, value.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Any idea why the seventh-round pick was material to the trade? It it happens relatively often. I know late-round gems are a thing, but it seems like such an odd demand.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Jaromir Jagr turned his career around with us. Remember what we gave up for him? Basically a bag of pucks..nobody wanted him.

Jagr is the single greatest reclamation project ever.

You can nickel and dime me, but you know exactly what I am saying.

Jagr was a lock for the hall of fame before he came here either way. Brassard was an inconsistent bust that didn't get along with coaches.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
We'll trade Zibanejad for Brassard straight up

Um we want a 1st too

No

3 months pass

Still No, but if you pay his bonus we'll add a 2nd.

Thanks, done deal, here is a 7th for your trouble

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Yeah, we've been sorely lacking a good player that wears the number 93 for a month now :sarcasm:

Great job by Gorton quickly filling that hole.

QUOTE=Crease;120837181]Any idea why the seventh-round pick was material to the trade? It it happens relatively often. I know late-round gems are a thing, but it seems like such an odd demand.[/QUOTE]

Teams feel they want 7 picks, whatever the round. Pretty silly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain