Confirmed with Link: Mika Zibanejad & a 2018 2nd rd pick OTT for Derick Brassard & a 2018 7th rd pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I agree with MH

And I also am not so sure this is a really good trade. The idea I love, the actual trade in a vacuum not all that much.

If they manage to do similar with Nash, Staal, etc and move on from Glass, my faith level will go higher.

If they do that over the next two trade deadlines, as in sell no matter what unless they are like awesome for some unknown reason, it will go up much higher.

Yet if this is just the same stuff, make one move to get younger and add a pick while throwing picks and prospects to the wind at deadlines, and give RFAs away for nothing in the off-season, then yeah, I guess I am pretty tired of it too.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
This offseason has been a huge step in the right direction. I think it's the best offseason I've been around to witness. And the thing is, I don't think we're done.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
I love Brass, I wanted the guy to be a Ranger years before he actual became one. I absolutely hate to see him go.

...however Mika is a solid pickup, plus a 2nd rounder to add in. If this is an indication of how Gorton is going to run things, "sell high" then IMO the Rangers are winners in the long run.

Vesey Zib Buch can be serious line with speed, skill and edge.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I agree with MH

And I also am not so sure this is a really good trade. The idea I love, the actual trade in a vacuum not all that much.

If they manage to do similar with Nash, Staal, etc and move on from Glass, my faith level will go higher.

If they do that over the next two trade deadlines, as in sell no matter what unless they are like awesome for some unknown reason, it will go up much higher.

Yet if this is just the same stuff, make one move to get younger and add a pick while throwing picks and prospects to the wind at deadlines, and give RFAs away for nothing in the off-season, then yeah, I guess I am pretty tired of it too.

I don't think they *have* to sell at every deadline, but they absolutely cannot buy right now unless some team is willing to give them a good young player in exchange for an older player the Rangers are looking to move for something, but that's not likely and looks a lot more like selling than buying.

But that said if the team is having a real good season and they're a top team again and the deadline comes around again, I think you have to accept that they're not going to sell. You're not going to see Stepan or Kreider or whoever sold off if the Rangers are in a contending position. Hell, probably won't see those guys moved even if they aren't in a contending position, you'll see the Nash's and Klein's pushed.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
There is nothing wrong with keeping good players to go for a cup. The only bad part about this strategy is that only one team wins the cup. If you push all your chips in the middle of the table, and win, you look like a genius. If you do it, and lose, you look like an idiot. Point being, you only have a shot at winning if you go for it.

This signals to me that they are focused on a small re-tool. Trade some older players for players that are entering their prime. Gear up, re-tool and re-stock. Go for it all again in 2-3 years. This is what the Sharks just did. Love Brass, but the logic on the Rangers end is there.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
There is nothing wrong with keeping good players to go for a cup. The only bad part about this strategy is that only one team wins the cup. If you push all your chips in the middle of the table, and win, you look like a genius. If you do it, and lose, you look like an idiot. Point being, you only have a shot at winning if you go for it.

This signals to me that they are focused on a small re-tool. Trade some older players for players that are entering their prime. Gear up, re-tool and re-stock. Go for it all again in 2-3 years. This is what the Sharks just did. Love Brass, but the logic on the Rangers end is there.

Sharks do have some more talented players but part of that is being on the lookout and having the assets to acquire someone like Burns when another team decides for some reason they want to dump them. Or drafting well and developing assets, or making smart moves to acquire young talent that can be developed into stars...

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
This offseason has been a huge step in the right direction. I think it's the best offseason I've been around to witness. And the thing is, I don't think we're done.

Odd, since not much has happened. Or maybe that's what you mean.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think they *have* to sell at every deadline, but they absolutely cannot buy right now unless some team is willing to give them a good young player in exchange for an older player the Rangers are looking to move for something, but that's not likely and looks a lot more like selling than buying.

But that said if the team is having a real good season and they're a top team again and the deadline comes around again, I think you have to accept that they're not going to sell. You're not going to see Stepan or Kreider or whoever sold off if the Rangers are in a contending position. Hell, probably won't see those guys moved even if they aren't in a contending position, you'll see the Nash's and Klein's pushed.

If they are pending UFAs they should be sold unless the team is really, really good, or else it's just the same thing. Self renting accomplishes not much as far as I have seen, and then it turns into buying because you know, we are self renting anyway, may as well really go for it.

There should be a longer term plan than let's just see what happens during the season so they can be all confused that it really was just Lundqvist and a couple spurts among some others that made them look better than they actually were.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I agree. I think it has been fantastic. I don't see the point of incessantly crying about the bad moves that were made in the past. Nothing we can do about it. Most of the people that are over the edge regarding some bad moves we made over the past few years weren't around in the dark ages to see what bad moves really look like.

What I am happy about is that we are making the right moves for the future while still remaining competitive. I think the Brassard for Zibanejad trade shows that Gorton is now managing the team the way he wants to. He doesn't have the pressure to buy, buy, buy to win a cup. He isn't at the end of his career as GM like Sather. His still in the beginning stages.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Glad everyone loves the deal. Suddenly so much faith in this front office.

Let's be ****ing real here. Stralman, Pouliot, Talbot (Lundqvist, I know, but they got no return), Hagelin, Yandle. This piece of **** franchise systematically gets rid of every good player they have.

We're supposed to be happy because they got a return this time? Congratulations Gorton and Sather, you insufferable pieces of ****. Mika Zibanejad to show for six quality players. Somebody ****ing pinch me. So much faith.

Well, the two bolded were traded and we have assests that were acquired as a result of those trades still in our system.

For Talbot we have Kovacs, Zborovskiy and Huska.

For Hagelin we have Gropp and Jensen.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If they are pending UFAs they should be sold unless the team is really, really good, or else it's just the same thing. Self renting accomplishes not much as far as I have seen, and then it turns into buying because you know, we are self renting anyway, may as well really go for it.

There should be a longer term plan than let's just see what happens during the season so they can be all confused that it really was just Lundqvist and a couple spurts among some others that made them look better than they actually were.

Fair enough, wasn't thinking of pending UFA's, I don't think the Rangers have a lot of interesting ones coming up next year.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009

No offseason is 'good' until our problems on D are fixed. And with problems I mean two players. It's that bad. We'll never contend with those two playing 15-20+.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Take a breath, man.

Other people aren't happy about this kind of thing either. I like this trade in a certain context, but like a lot of others, I'm not happy to see Brassard go. I wasn't happy to see Hagelin go, because I think he was undervalued. I worried about missing Brian Boyle's presence.

That being said, this is the modern NHL. The most constant thing is change. Brassard wasn't ever going to be a member of the next core of this team. It sucks, but with an eye to the future, this was fine. If you're gonna freak out every single time a player you like gets moved out in the leagues business climate, it's going to be a rough time for you.

I've been hearing about "future" since I'm bald and I'm still waiting for it.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It makes you wonder what some people think we should have given up to get a player like Zibanejad.

The guy is 23 years old and has just come off a 51 point season after a 40 + point season.

So we get a guy who has put up numbers pretty close to the player we gave up. The guy we get is bigger and about 6 years younger. We shave $2375 off of our cap and we get a 2nd round pick in 2018. I love Brassard but that's a really good deal for the Rangers.

And it wouldn't be a surprise if Zib is a better player than Brassard this year or even two years from now.

I can understand Dorion's motivation for making the trade but if I were a Senators fan I wouldn't be very happy at all with this. To me this is identifying a player you really want and then overpaying to get him. It's a Bernmeister kind of deal he's made.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Rangers have been successful this off season So far. They have addresed 3 of the main 4 needs they had going into the off season.

Speed, PK and getting younger. They haven't addressed the issues on D though. Off season is still young.

Most importantly they didn't move money just to throw it at some late 20s/early 30s UFA.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Can anyone give the stats on their face-off percentages?

Zibanejad:
  • '11-'12 - 44%
  • '12-'13 - 46.4%
  • '13-'14 - 46.1%
  • '14-'15 - 49.1%
  • '15-'16 - 50.5%

Brassard:
  • '07-'08 - 42.5%
  • '08-'09 - 48.5%
  • '09-'10 - 41.7%
  • '10-'11 - 46.6%
  • '11-'12 - 45.1%
  • '12-'13 w/CLB - 45.6% (34GP)
  • '12-'13 w/NYR - 52.8% (13GP)
  • '13-'14 - 48.0%
  • '14-'15 - 48.9%
  • '15-'16 - 50.2%

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
This kid just gets better at everything every season. Won't be 24 till April of next year. Just a baby. Tons of upside.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'm very happy so far. Which is odd, considering they traded my favorite player, and I was expecting this offseason to be...well, nothing.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Fair enough, wasn't thinking of pending UFA's, I don't think the Rangers have a lot of interesting ones coming up next year.

Yeah I did not specify very well.

2017 deadline, Glass, Gerbe, Clendening pending UFAs
Fast Jooris Lindberg McIlrath RFAs

2018 Nash, Klein, Grebner, Holden pending UFAs, Miller and I am guessing Hayes RFAs.

2019 McD, Zucc, pending UFAs

2020 Girardi (I assume is already gone)

2021 Stepan, Staal, Lundqvist (not that I expect him to be sold at that point, just for reference of when they can wind this down by)

Move the pending UFAs between now and their respective deadlines when the right deals come up. The RFAs make a choice before they need new deals, to keep or not, they would be worth more at the deadlines rather than in the off-season. (Not that I think the RFAs need to be moved, just if they are going to anyway why not get more for them)

Out of all of that they have plenty of time to make the deals.

While that happens

2016-18 Buchnevich, Skjei, and hopefully other prospects as well as those traded for (like Zibanejad) take those places of the departed.

2018-2021 the picks they received from not buying and selling are starting to become NHL ready as are their goalie prospects they took a couple years back.

2021 and so on, if they do well at the draft and followed through that it's a ton of stuff all coming of age, whether that is just in the NHL or hopefully taking the semi young vet steps all at the same time somewhat cost controlled.

There was no tank, the prospects were insulated by the vets in Stepan, Girardi, McD, Zucc, Staal, Lundqvist, as well as what will be the newer vets in Miller, Kreider, Hayes, Zibanejad, etc along the way.

It's not going to lead to them drafting 1st or likely 2nd unless they win a draft lottery in the couple years they'd likely be in it (I'd guess in 2018, 19, 20, 21 they'd be pretty bad) But even if not that is where they have to trust they can pull off some real magic and they have the picks do so and to move up maybe.

Yeah it's a long term 6 year plan and anything could go wrong, but I have to believe the odds of something like that leading to them having a really good long term team in the next 6-10 years is higher than them having that really good team by not doing something like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad