Confirmed with Link: Mika Zibanejad & a 2018 2nd rd pick OTT for Derick Brassard & a 2018 7th rd pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I've been hearing about "future" since I'm bald and I'm still waiting for it.

You've heard much about the future in the last 5 years?

Seriously, at what point in the last five years - no screw that, since the '04-'05 lockout - have they been about the future? They have ALWAYS gone for it.

Even when they were supposed to rebuilding coming out of the lockout, Straka-Nylander-Jagr surprised, and we had this kid in goal, and, and, and... Slats went for it.

The year we didn't make the playoffs, wasn't for lack of trying - guys like Inferno and I were screaming not to do it, but they went ahead and made the stupid Jokinen trade to, you guessed it, go for it.

Signings of Drury, and Gomez, and Redden, and Richards.... none of them about the future, but going for it.

Nash trade, not about the future, but going for it.

MSL trade, not about the future, but going for it.

Yandle trade, not about the future, but going for it.

Staal trade, not about the future, but going for it.

Heck, even the original Brassard trade, while it made the team younger, was more about bolstering the team for that year's PO run under Torts.

So, please tell me, at what point between the at that time long (LONG) overdue '04 selloff and this offseason (so far), have they EVER been about the future?!?!?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
There's been a lot of hockey analysis here so I try not to repeat much of what already been said.

First, I'm somewhat surprised that so many of you were taken by surprise with Brassard's trade. The writing had been on a wall - he's the most tradeable commodity from the roster perspective given his production, salary cap, actual remaining salary and years. Moreover, it was noted around by a few of us that when Uncle Larry wrote his "front-office-reporting" article about who's readily available and who's untouchable, there was not a single word mentioning Brassard at all. This notable absence should've been a clue that he'd be traded pretty soon. Based on Brassard's recent own comments the trade was pretty much done weeks ago - they were only waiting to pay his July 15th bonus.

Second, this trade clearly indicate direction of that the Rangers organization is taking. The assets received points out to the retool. If the rebuild were the direction, the return would've been a 1st round pick, later round pick and a prospect currently outside of the NHL.

Last, the front office is not done (whoever news reporter said that they are done just doesn't understand anything about the subject). 1RD is the biggest need (followed by general quality depth on D) so either i. Klein will be dealt in a similar type of deal for the younger D with more upside or ii. A newly created cap space can be used to retain salary on Nash, Staal or Girardi to trade them for an acceptable return once either regain some of their value during the season. Or both.

P.S. There's some possibility that this trade could turn out into Zherdev 2.0 (instead of Brassard 2.0). However this is an acceptable risk that Gorton had to take.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
P.S. There's some possibility that this trade could turn out into Zherdev 2.0 (instead of Brassard 2.0). However this is an acceptable risk that Gorton had to take.

I loved Zherdev, but there is a big difference between the type of person Zibanejad is and the type Zherdev was when he first came here.

Zherdev obviously had more raw skill, but he didn't give a ****. That was the biggest issue. While he had some fire in his belly (when he fought Stamkos) it still was few and far between. Zibanejad has more to prove, and CARES about wanting to prove it where Zherdev never truly cared.

If he did care? He could have been one of the best in the past decade.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Seriously, at what point in the last five years - no screw that, since the '04-'05 lockout - have they been about the future? They have ALWAYS gone for it.

Even when they were supposed to rebuilding coming out of the lockout, Straka-Nylander-Jagr surprised, and we had this kid in goal, and, and, and... Slats went for it.

The year we didn't make the playoffs, wasn't for lack of trying - guys like Inferno and I were screaming not to do it, but they went ahead and made the stupid Jokinen trade to, you guessed it, go for it.

Signings of Drury, and Gomez, and Redden, and Richards.... none of them about the future, but going for it.

Nash trade, not about the future, but going for it.

MSL trade, not about the future, but going for it.

Yandle trade, not about the future, but going for it.

Staal trade, not about the future, but going for it.

Heck, even the original Brassard trade, while it made the team younger, was more about bolstering the team for that year's PO run under Torts.

So, please tell me, at what point between the at that time long (LONG) overdue '04 selloff and this offseason (so far), have they EVER been about the future?!?!?

From the fans I've been hearing about the future. From the team - they can't think past a week ahead. Which is why I'm not convinced this was a trade just to recoup assets.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I loved Zherdev, but there is a big difference between the type of person Zibanejad is and the type Zherdev was when he first came here.

Zherdev obviously had more raw skill, but he didn't give a ****. That was the biggest issue. While he had some fire in his belly (when he fought Stamkos) it still was few and far between. Zibanejad has more to prove, and CARES about wanting to prove it where Zherdev never truly cared.

If he did care? He could have been one of the best in the past decade.

I loved Zherdev when he was here. His skills and IQ definitely worth his high draft pick selection. However, while I generally agree with the sentiment, saying outright that he didn't care is a hyperbole. He never cared ENOUGH to fulfil his through-the-roof potential, and what I was pointing out - there's still a risk that Zibanejad might not care enough to be a 60+ point player that the organization is banking on. Imagine the situation where he has another uneven season (attributable to preparation, attitude, whatever) but still followed by a big arbitration award. Then what? I'm not saying this is happening - just that there's some risk here.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
From the fans I've been hearing about the future. From the team - they can't think past a week ahead. Which is why I'm not convinced this was a trade just to recoup assets.

Then what was this? They turned a 29 year old center into a 23 year old center who at the moment is slightly worse production wise but has the chance to be even better than the player we just traded. And on top of that, they got a 2nd round pick.

This is the first offseason in quite some time where pretty much every move they've made has been good and made sense. They knew they had to get younger, they knew they had to fix the penalty kill, and they knew they had to get quicker. Those have all been addressed.

And before anyone jumps to the defense, yes it's a disaster. But that's unfortunately not a quick fix. This upcoming year is a transition year. Let it play out and see what happens and then try and move those guys with the expansion draft and NMC (for Girardi at least) turning into a NTC coming up.

This team had a great run. In doing so coupled with some really bad decisions along with the ravaging of their farm system, that time is over. This is Gorton's first full offseason so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Everything he's shown me so far gives me no reason not to believe in him.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
One talented player whose decline in play during his mid 20's I could never really understand was Frolov.

Guy can't even score in the KHL any more.

With Miko, you wonder if he would be more effective if he wasnt forced to play center. Unfortunately, given NYR's center depth at present we're unlikely to find that out, unless Gordon pulls a weird move like signing Hudler.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
One talented player whose decline in play during his mid 20's I could never really understand was Frolov.

With Miko, you wonder if he would be more effective if he wasnt forced to play center. Unfortunately, given NYR's center depth at present we're unlikely to find that out, unless Gordon pulls a weird move like signing Hudler.

I think this statement is key and Z's development would be best served as a LW IMO

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Okay, at this point, I'm honestly baffled.

Many, many fans have wanted - and continue to want - the team to go for it, pretty much damn near every year. "All you have to do is get in," "anything can happen," and all that. The vast majority were staunchly in favor of the travesty that was the MSL deal. Meanwhile, the front office NEVER talked of the future as long as "Lion, not a mouse," "if I had the Rangers' budget I'd win every year" Slats was in charge, but for the sole exception of that one year leading into the lockout.

So, has there been a vocal minority on here who on multiple occasions wanted them to look to the future? Sure. But they've never done it leading up to now.

Which leaves me wondering, in all seriousness, what's your complaint?

Do you want them to go for it AGAIN and are mad that the minority of us (a larger group now, admittedly, in the wake of last year's disastrous playoffs, and the obvious decline of G and Staal) are actually happy about a move that indicates that for the first time in 12 years the new GM may actually be doing what we want?

Do you want them to reset/retool/rebuild like we do, but are simply fuming proactively in anticipation of being subsequently disappointed when Gorts, in your opinion, is certain to go out and completely undo this move by, I don't know, trading Zibanejad and Buch for Marleau or something?

Are you simply mad that your favorite player was traded?

I honestly don't get it.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Zherdev did care when he was here. Remember the backchecking and crazy goal against the Penguins? Renney gave him the same freedom he gave Jagr. Once Torts got here he began to sulk. Something else was up with that guy. You don't go from 50 points twice to being a scrub and then eventually out of the league. He also had off ice issues later on with the KHL.

Ziba and Zherdev are two completely different players, only coincidence is the last name starts with a Z.

As for Frolov, injuries slowed him down. By the time he went to the KHL, he could barely skate with any speed anymore.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What's my complaint? They traded the ****ing heart of the team.

McDonagh can take his C and stick it up his rear end, Brassard drove this team along with Zuccarello.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

McDonagh can take his C and stick it up his rear end, Brassard drove this team along with Zuccarello.

Oh please. Brassard was a really good player for this team but they didn't trade the franchise.

The heart of the team is in net.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

So, to clarify, that means you're a win-now guy pissed that they might actually be rebuilding.

Look, I'm really sorry that your favorite player was traded. It sucks (I still remember how much it hurt when they moved Patrick and Turcotte in the early 90s).

But I'm sorry, man, you've had it your way for 12 years. You've got a LOT more trades like this to endure to make up for the ****shows of the MSL, Jokinen, etc., etc. moves - all of which I was PROMISED would bring us a cup - that I've had to endure for the last decade-plus.

yoplait

May 4, 2011
I think this statement is key and Z's development would be best served as a LW IMO

This experiment was tried on several occasions. They didn't last long because he was super ineffective while on the wing and he has claimed to not feeling comfortable while playing there. He's definitely a C, and a good one at that if he's on his game and you play him with someone who can give him the puck (as you mentioned Zucc should be that guy). You guys got a player with a lot of untapped potential, but who currently has many things to fix in his game. I hope he puts it all together for you guys!
Edit: I believe he was mostly tried on the RW though.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Jokinnen trade wasn't a win now move. They got rid of Higgins and Kotalik both of whom were awful, and they got Prust who turned out to be the best player in the deal.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So, to clarify, that means you're a win-now guy pissed that they might actually be rebuilding.

Look, I'm really sorry that your favorite player was traded. It sucks (I still remember how much it hurt when they moved Patrick and Turcotte in the early 90s).

But I'm sorry, man, you've had it your way for 12 years. You've got a LOT more trades like this to endure to make up for the ****shows of the MSL, Jokinen, etc., etc. moves - all of which I was PROMISED would bring us a cup - that I've had to endure for the last decade-plus.

Giacomin, Ratelle, Park, Zubov, Leetch, Messier, Jagr.

This team has a tradition for half a century of letting go of great players and fan favorites.

This isn't about any direction the team is taking. I'm sick of saying goodbye every summer while I have to look at Girardi's ****ing face until I'm 40.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
My complaint if one wants to call it that, I don't think the targeted specifically the right player.

I am fine with the idea, in fact I love it, so do more of it so maybe the odds of it ultimately working out become greater.

My other complaint would be about faith, they always go for it, and I don't see this move really being a huge change in direction, it's not like they took back a 1st, top prospect and some other lesser assets, they took back a player they have to also think can help them right now. Which once again I am fine with as long as that is the plan, get younger, get an extra pick and continue to do it.

Not go into the season with lofty expectation, go into it with a plan to get progressively younger, add more picks and prospects even if the team looks above average at that point.

That and Holden, I mean what was that? Unless Staal is moved that is just an odd player with that contract to add.

Oh and they kept AV

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

I would say Zuccarello did more than Brass did, but yeah our goalie is our heart and franchise.

I just don't understand the anger. If it's just a player you like being traded, then I get it. Sucks. You admit they got a good return but you're angry about other bad personnel moves of the past? If that is the case then it's going to be impossible to make you happy this off season. You say they got a good return then try to say Gorton's intentions aren't to recoup assets? So what are his intentions?

There is every chance Zibanajad puts up very Brass-like numbers this season.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Didn't he have some injury issue? I want to say it was a hip thing or something with his legs and he lost a lot of mobility or something.

I'd be totally on board with signing Hudler if they'd flip him at the deadline

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think Gorton's intentions were to make a move because he said he would, but now he's realizing nobody wants the garbage on this team.

Like I said, if this is part one of a bunch of moves to recoup assets, talk to me then.

It won't be.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Didn't he have some injury issue? I want to say it was a hip thing or something with his legs and he lost a lot of mobility or something.

I'd be totally on board with signing Hudler if they'd flip him at the deadline

I'd sign Hudler for a couple of seasons honestly. Nice depth scorer.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I loved Brassard as much as the next guy, but he was not the heart of the team. That title resides with Hank, and Zucc being a close 2nd.

Hank so much so that they had the best regular season run in team history without him.

Not a knock on Hank, but like I've always said, he's a goalie...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'd sign Hudler for a couple of seasons honestly. Nice depth scorer.

On a team that was loading up to be a contender for a few years and needed to fill a hole, sure I'd go 2 years with him. For the Rangers purposes, he's 32 and I wouldn't commit multiple years and money to him...he'd be a great sign and trade at the deadline guy

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Hank so much so that they had the best regular season run in team history without him.

Not a knock on Hank, but like I've always said, he's a goalie...

Yeah, he's just a goalie...lets forget about the past decade, and all the team/individual records he holds. Not to mention the fact that he is actually is the heart/soul and emotional leader of the team whether you want to believe it or not. It's a fact.

Hank is the leader of the team. End of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad