Confirmed with Link: Mika Zibanejad & a 2018 2nd rd pick OTT for Derick Brassard & a 2018 7th rd pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Jokinnen trade wasn't a win now move. They got rid of Higgins and Kotalik both of whom were awful, and they got Prust who turned out to be the best player in the deal.

It absolutely was. It was all about getting into the playoffs that year, and not accepting their fate as a also-ran. The fact that they moved non-core pieces for him doesn't change the philosophy behind that deal. (Further backed by the fact that Slats went out and got Shelley for a 6th a few days later.)

What they SHOULD have done that year was to accept that they weren't going to win it all, and moved those guys, along with Prospal, Rozsival, and Parenteau, for young players, prospects, and picks.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
What's my complaint? They traded the ****ing heart of the team.

McDonagh can take his C and stick it up his rear end, Brassard drove this team along with Zuccarello.

So go do what that guy (can't remember his name) did when Callahan was traded and become a TB fan - except become a Sens fan.

I think Gorton's intentions were to make a move because he said he would, but now he's realizing nobody wants the garbage on this team.

Like I said, if this is part one of a bunch of moves to recoup assets, talk to me then.

It won't be.

Comment makes no sense whatsoever. Regardless of any past, present, or future moves this was a good move. Just because oh no we have Girardi, we have Staal, we can't win!!! doesn't mean the front office should just give up and not try and make good hockey moves. Can't believe you're complaining about getting a comparable player whose 6 years younger. It's not like they traded for Joe Thornton or something.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah, he's just a goalie...lets forget about the past decade, and all the team/individual records he holds. Not to mention the fact that he is actually is the heart/soul and emotional leader of the team whether you want to believe it or not. It's a fact.

Hank is the leader of the team. End of the story.

And that's part of the problem. Not that I wanna go down that foxhole again.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So go do what that guy (can't remember his name) did when Callahan was traded and become a TB fan - except become a Sens fan.

Yeah maybe I could use some time away from constantly losing my favorite players while the ones who make me cringe are signed to lifetime contracts.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Giacomin, Ratelle, Park, Zubov, Leetch, Messier, Jagr.

This team has a tradition for half a century of letting go of great players and fan favorites.

This isn't about any direction the team is taking. I'm sick of saying goodbye every summer while I have to look at Girardi's ****ing face until I'm 40.

Hahaha. Well, this I can appreciate.

But it was still the right move.

I think Gorton's intentions were to make a move because he said he would, but now he's realizing nobody wants the garbage on this team.

Like I said, if this is part one of a bunch of moves to recoup assets, talk to me then.

It won't be.

So, again, are you a win-now guy? Do you think this squad can win as composed and you're pissed that they've just hampered their ability to do so? If so, you being pissed makes sense.

But then, like I said, I'm sorry, but you've had your way for 12 years, and it's time to try a new direction.

And, if you actually AGREE that they need to reset/retool/rebuild, then you've put yourself in a lose-lose position. You want him to make the moves, but then if he actually DOES, you're pissed because you can't believe he's actually going to stay the course. :laugh:

In which case, why not wait until (if) he actually does disappoint you? I promise you at that point, I'll be raging right there with you.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm just sick of it.

I already had no interest in watching this team assault the art of defense and be a 40% possession team for 7 more months.

There were 4 reasons to watch this garbage - Yandle, Brassard, Zuccarello, and Lundqvist. Half of them are gone already.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
You do realize that no player is going to be on this team for eternity, right?

Like...Girardi and Staal won't be a Ranger forever.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
My complaint if one wants to call it that, I don't think the targeted specifically the right player.

I am fine with the idea, in fact I love it, so do more of it so maybe the odds of it ultimately working out become greater.

My other complaint would be about faith, they always go for it, and I don't see this move really being a huge change in direction, it's not like they took back a 1st, top prospect and some other lesser assets, they took back a player they have to also think can help them right now. Which once again I am fine with as long as that is the plan, get younger, get an extra pick and continue to do it.

Not go into the season with lofty expectation, go into it with a plan to get progressively younger, add more picks and prospects even if the team looks above average at that point.

That and Holden, I mean what was that? Unless Staal is moved that is just an odd player with that contract to add.

Oh and they kept AV

I LOVE the idea of getting Zibanejad. He already is a middle six player. He still could be a dominant player. He JUST turned 23. AND he came with a pick.

I don't believe in the "tank" theory where you have to actually try to lose games. I believe in collecting multiple valuable young assets. The fact that doing so is likely to lead you to lose more than you win, and thus improve your picks is a byproduct that may help in the long term, but not the primary goal.

I do agree that to do it properly you need more moves like this, however.

As for AV, I don't like his failure to adapt last year, but he's also the coach that brought this squad farther than they've gone in 20 years only 3 years ago, and to the ECF 2 years ago. One bad season doesn't undo those accomplishments. He gets some leash from me through this year.

Last edited:

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

It won't be.

There's still 2+ months of the offseason left

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I'm just sick of it.

I already had no interest in watching this team assault the art of defense and be a 40% possession team for 7 more months.

There were 4 reasons to watch this garbage - Yandle, Brassard, Zuccarello, and Lundqvist. Half of them are gone already.

So, you don't want them to try to fix the mess and become cup contenders, you only want to watch your four favorite players? Seriously, MH, I'm trying to work with you here, but you're not making sense.

It's like you're sitting at home in your easy chair screaming at Gorton because he made this move instead of trading Girardi for Barkov, or something. :laugh:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There's been a lot of hockey analysis here so I try not to repeat much of what already been said.

First, I'm somewhat surprised that so many of you were taken by surprise with Brassard's trade. The writing had been on a wall - he's the most tradeable commodity from the roster perspective given his production, salary cap, actual remaining salary and years. Moreover, it was noted around by a few of us that when Uncle Larry wrote his "front-office-reporting" article about who's readily available and who's untouchable, there was not a single word mentioning Brassard at all. This notable absence should've been a clue that he'd be traded pretty soon. Based on Brassard's recent own comments the trade was pretty much done weeks ago - they were only waiting to pay his July 15th bonus.

Second, this trade clearly indicate direction of that the Rangers organization is taking. The assets received points out to the retool. If the rebuild were the direction, the return would've been a 1st round pick, later round pick and a prospect currently outside of the NHL.

Last, the front office is not done (whoever news reporter said that they are done just doesn't understand anything about the subject). 1RD is the biggest need (followed by general quality depth on D) so either i. Klein will be dealt in a similar type of deal for the younger D with more upside or ii. A newly created cap space can be used to retain salary on Nash, Staal or Girardi to trade them for an acceptable return once either regain some of their value during the season. Or both.

P.S. There's some possibility that this trade could turn out into Zherdev 2.0 (instead of Brassard 2.0). However this is an acceptable risk that Gorton had to take.

I think you're right that the Rangers are going to try to make another deal for a d-man who can help their power play---and ideally it would be a right shot guy. I think the Rangers will be willing to move either of Nash or Kreider to get that player. Personally I'd rather it were Nash and personally I hope Fowler isn't the guy we get back.

As far as your second point I don't know if I'd conclude that the Rangers doing this deal points to any kind of deliberate change of direction per se. If Dorion initiated the deal it's even more debatable. To me the Rangers got a much younger and bigger player with comparable production to the player they gave up--they also got that draft pick. What strikes me about the deal is that it probably was Dorion who initiated this---who really wanted Brassard and was willing to go to lengths to get him and IMO he seriously overpaid based on Zibanejad's future potential to be better than Brassard which could very well happen. Throwing the 2nd on top was icing on the cake. To me Zib for Brass is kind of equal just on its face.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Then take a break. Watch teams with other players that you like.

:dunno:

It might come to that. I was already on the edge and Brassard was just the nudge.

I was already at the point last year where, for the first time in my life, I was forcing myself to watch the Rangers.

For 25 years I've been watching teams that can't score and I survived, but I can't watch the worst defensive team in the league. Last year they were bottom 5 and it was absolute torture.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I don't get why some people get upset. It's not like we gave away Brass. We made a very good hockey trade.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don't get why some people get upset. It's not like we gave away Brass. We made a very good hockey trade.

Because we're apparently supposed to tear it down by trading for players who aren't good yet that we won't see for a few years that way we can be even worse this year and possibly get a top pick. Zibanejad is apparently too good and won't hurt the team enough.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think you're right that the Rangers are going to try to make another deal for a d-man who can help their power play---and ideally it would be a right shot guy. I think the Rangers will be willing to move either of Nash or Kreider to get that player. Personally I'd rather it were Nash and personally I hope Fowler isn't the guy we get back.

As far as your second point I don't know if I'd conclude that the Rangers doing this deal points to any kind of deliberate change of direction per se. If Dorion initiated the deal it's even more debatable. To me the Rangers got a much younger and bigger player with comparable production to the player they gave up--they also got that draft pick. What strikes me about the deal is that it probably was Dorion who initiated this---who really wanted Brassard and was willing to go to lengths to get him and IMO he seriously overpaid based on Zibanejad's future potential to be better than Brassard which could very well happen. Throwing the 2nd on top was icing on the cake. To me Zib for Brass is kind of equal just on its face.

Well, two points:

1) Again, be careful of the public spin put out there by a GM who just, by your own analysis, overpaid.

2) The point of Gorton letting the world know everyone outside of Hank, Skjei and Buchnevich (and potentially McD, depending on who you read) was available was precisely to garner this kind of incoming inquiry. Much better to be able to say "oh, so you want Brassard, eh...?" than "what'll you give me for Brassard...?"

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Dorion was on NHL Network yesterday. He said that Gorton called him "to congratulate him on getting the post" and mentioned that Slats and Muckler (?) never traded and that wouldn't it be good idea to to change it. I'm pretty sure Gorton did his due diligence before making the call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad