Confirmed with Link: Mika Zibanejad & a 2018 2nd rd pick OTT for Derick Brassard & a 2018 7th rd pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I vaguely remember reading that Brassard had to waive his modified NMC so he definitely knew they were looking to trade him...maybe that's not correct though, I don't know the details of his contract.

e: he has/had a modified NTC that he likely had to either provide teams for or waive, so he knew he was on the block

e2: Brassard isn't bad defensively in the "stands around does nothing waiting to cherry pick and fly the zone as quickly as possible" way, he tries, but he's not particularly effective at puck pressuring and regaining the puck, like most of the Rangers forwards. He just isn't all that great in that area, he tries but he's not this two way center that people keep talking him up as. It might be pushing things to say he was traded in large part because of his defensive game (I think it was mainly the getting younger, getting some cap space, getting a bit more potential)

If Brass had to waive a NTC clause it just shows once again that these NTC are not as horrible as feared sometimes. Most players do not want to play where they are not wanted and will often waive their NTC if asked.

I love Brass but ideally you would like your center to be the first forward back on defense. Brass was usually not the first forward back on defense.

I also do not think defense is the reason he was traded. I think youth, salary, size, forechecking, a second round pick, and a need for change is more the cause of the trade.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Zibs and Silfverberg have fantastic chemistry together, and they've had success at the NHL level together. This was also in the 2012-13 season; both players have grown their relative game very well since then.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Brassard is so overrated here, it's nuts. We sold high, he just had his two career seasons that he will never surpass, probably won't even match. And his whoke career, he gets sheltered minutes because he doesn't play as much against top opposition as other 60-point guys do. He's a very solid second liner, but describing him as 1C is nuts. Jad is 6 years younger, bigger, faster, better on faceoffs, has almost as much offense, and will confine to improve another 3 years or so.

Gorton molested Ottawa. Anyone who doesn't think so has no clue. The discussion here reminds me of HF Trades board where no matter what you offer, some Homer fans will always be mad: McDonagh for Matt Martin, or Stepan for Dale Weise, no matter what it is, someone will respond with, "We don't need your garbage for our quality contributors."

id say count me in for all this, except having that money available for a real crappy free agent class doesnt inspire me with confidence (unless the management shows they can resist spending money when they have it to burn and only second rate players to offer it to)

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Brassard tends to get a little lazy in the defensive zone sometimes but his positioning is pretty good. Not like Zib is some defensive mastermind either.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
He's 23, yes, but he's an inferior player TODAY. Anyone who says otherwise is in denial.

You don't trade your 1C and then go status quo the rest of the offseason. I would like to see some other bodies moved for young assets if this is the direction we're going in.

I'm not sure he is the inferior player today. He was the inferior player last season. But he's trending up and Brassard posted career highs, which at 28 he may not duplicate.

So for this season it's no given that Brassard out produces Zibenejad offensively.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Congrats to Gorton on his first good move. Glad he has shown some competence for once.

Love Brass, but he was a bit overrated here - I think he has maxed out.. I think the reason for the hype is because he was legitimately the first player I have seen truly revive a career as a Ranger. Players come to NYR to die, and Brassard was revived, so I will always respect him for that among other things. He was a great teammate, never backed down from anyone, and outperformed anyone's expectations. Rangers fans need to realize what a privilege that is - that stuff never happens on the Rangers, were used to it at this point.

He's better than Zib at the moment, but this is the front office acknowledging this team just didn't have it and understanding that the window has closed for the time being. Zib was thrown into the fire in Ottawa when he started and has shown consistent progress.

I'm happy with this one.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Brassard had a limited NTC. He picked 8 teams he didn't want to play for. The Rangers didn't need any permission. Ottawa wasn't on the list. That's why Brassard was unaware of the trade. The Ottawa front office has two members who were in Columbus when they selected Brassard. Jim Clark and Don Boyd.

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
I really don't understand how anyone could not like this trade. And this is coming from a guy that absolutely loves Brassard. I also recognize that he is one of the few forwards that shows up in the playoffs and he was no where near one of the problems with this current team. But its very hard to argue that this trade is a bad one. There is a realistic possibility that Zib will be a better player than Brassard this season. Then you throw in a 2nd round pick? No brainer.

Trading in this league has become very difficult due to the cap and all these NTC/NMCs. So getting pennies back on the dollar for moving players like Nash, makes absolutely no sense. Besides, I think his value will be even higher closer to the trade deadline, especially with a bounce back season.

While I am proponent of advanced stats, there are MANY people in the NHL that thinks it is BS. Montreal just let their analytic guy go shortly after being strongly against the Weber/Subban trade. So with bounce back season, there very well could be a market for Girardi/Staal if we are patient. Nash's value can only go up as the season goes on since last season was a rough one. His trade deadline value could be very high.

If we could get full value for Staal and Nash, and a taker for Girardi, I think we could be competitive in the near future. But it requires patience for the right trade and the possibility of it happening after the season starts for these guys to show that last year was just a down one. Blowing it up just doesn't seem to make sense to me. Especially with the new draft lottery system where the worst team in the NHL could potentially be drafting 4th overall. Lundqvist is the most competitive player I think the Rangers have ever had. No one seems to hate losing more than him. I think he will still be a great goalie in his late 30s.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Brassard is really not bad defensively. A little lazy on the defensive side and takes shortcuts now and then, yeah sure. But then everyone on our roster sucks defensively except Stepan.

Calling Brassard "sheltered" like it's a bad thing is questionable. He's an offensive player. Why bother starting him in the defensive zone? Zibanejad was just as "sheltered" as Brassard is, and he's worse defensively.

Brassard started more in the defensive zone at home than he did on the road so unless this is something about last change idk what you're trying to prove.

Again, he started more in the defensive zone at home than on the road.

And again, why wouldn't he?
I don't see how any of this is inconsistent with my point about Brassard's defense (other than your stating of your contradictory opinion). And yes, last change plays a big role.

As I said, AV did everything in his power to limit his defensive zone starts, even when he had the last change. And when he didn't have the last change, Brassard got absolutely torched, despite the fact that he had the benefit of near 60/40 offensive zone starts. (As opposed to, for example, Stepan, who despite getting zone starts in all situations and forced to play significant PK time, has consistently met or outproduced Brassard on a per game basis.)

And for the record, I get that Zibanejad also was sheltered. But he was a young kid. Young kids (can) get better - just look at Ziba's face-off statistics (and to a lesser extent, his points).

Brassard has some value defensively due to his ability to hem the other team in their zone and apply offensive pressure; but when actually called upon to defend against the other team's attack in the Rangers zone, he was not good.

Also, don't disagree with me anymore, I need to get some work done. :)

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Congrats to Gorton on his first good move. Glad he has shown some competence for once.

Love Brass, but he was a bit overrated here - I think he has maxed out.. I think the reason for the hype is because he was legitimately the first player I have seen truly revive a career as a Ranger. Players come to NYR to die, and Brassard was revived, so I will always respect him for that among other things. He was a great teammate, never backed down from anyone, and outperformed anyone's expectations. Rangers fans need to realize what a privilege that is - that stuff never happens on the Rangers, were used to it at this point.

He's better than Zib at the moment, but this is the front office acknowledging this team just didn't have it and understanding that the window has closed for the time being. Zib was thrown into the fire in Ottawa when he started and has shown consistent progress.

I'm happy with this one.

Jaromir Jagr turned his career around with us. Remember what we gave up for him? Basically a bag of pucks..nobody wanted him.

Jagr is the single greatest reclamation project ever.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Step is 3 years younger, just entering his prime. At this stage of their development and where the team is, keeping Step is important because he's a young leader, but 29 year old senior need to be traded because they are still at their peak value, but won't be for long. Even if Brass is just as good in 2 years, nobody will pay the same price for a 31 year old a year removed from a UFA contract that they would for a 29 year old on a sweet deal.

I love Zuccarello, my favorite Ranger, but it's time for him also to move on. If we get a young second liner and a second round pick for MZA, that's just good asset management.

I'd want a first line player for Zuccarello.

Actually, I'd even consider Zuccarello + Klein/Staal for Barrie.

McDonagh-Barrie
Holden-McIlrath
Skjei-Klein

13705140_10208444274318655_2055395301_n.jpg

the feels :(

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
The narrative that Brassard was so heavily sheltered and was only successful at home because of it really needs to disappear. First of all,

13-14: Home: 40GP 20P
Road: 41GP 25P
14-15: Home:41GP 31P
Road: 39GP 29P

Other players who do better at home: Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, Bergeron, etc.

It's much more likely that this past season was a fluke than anything else with regard to how big his splits were.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He IS bad defensively. And Brooks makes no bones about the fact that it's the POTENTIAL, as yet not fully realized and inconsistent, to be bigger, stronger and tougher to play against.

Brassard was MASSIVELY sheltered here. Here are his splits last year.

Home 40GP | 20G | 21A | 41P | +17
Road 40GP | 7G | 10A | 17P | -5

And, as I said on the main boards, that doesn't tell the story of the fact that AV did everything in his power to limit his defensive zone face-offs, even at home.

This is just sample size and variance.

The year before he was 13-18-31 in 41 home games and 6-23-29 in 39 road games.

Year before that he was 11-9-20 in 40 home games and 7-18-25 in 41 road games.

Home/Road splits do not tell you anything about if a player was sheltered.

Edit: I see I was beat to the punch by less than 1 minute.
I

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The narrative that Brassard was so heavily sheltered and was only successful at home because of it really needs to disappear. First of all,

13-14: Home: 40GP 20P
Road: 41GP 25P
14-15: Home:41GP 31P
Road: 39GP 29P

Other players who do better at home: Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, Bergeron, etc.

It's much more likely that this past season was a fluke than anything else with regard to how big his splits were.

It's also much more likely that this past seasons goal and point totals were a fluke as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad