Microsoft Xbox Discussion - It is my nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Eh, I don't have a 4K tv, and don't plan on getting one soon in the near future, and I'm getting a One X tomorrow. The faster load times and steadier framerates are more than enough for me.

Plus the game I play the most, Ark, is enhanced, which will supposedly make it much smoother, better looking, and no tethers on split screen local play! That will be the big game to test for me, as it runs pretty rough on my regular one half the time.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
So I definitely misjudged the supply and demand, at least for my town. I ended up working, so I sent the money to a buddy to pick it up, him and his gf were first in line at Walmart this morning, they only got 4(!) shipped in, and he bought two of them. We were at Bestbuy the other day and the guy we spoke to also said they were only getting 50 in for today. We're not a tiny town either by any means, 35,000ish people.

So I'm happy I got mine! Now the excruciating wait!

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
So I definitely misjudged the supply and demand, at least for my town. I ended up working, so I sent the money to a buddy to pick it up, him and his gf were first in line at Walmart this morning, they only got 4(!) shipped in, and he bought two of them. We were at Bestbuy the other day and the guy we spoke to also said they were only getting 50 in for today. We're not a tiny town either by any means, 35,000ish people.

So I'm happy I got mine! Now the excruciating wait!
Was pretty hit and miss around here. The closest target to me sold out within an hour, Best Buy and the two gamestops close by also sold out. Believe it or not the Walmart here didn't get any. Went to a Target about 20 miles away and they had 5 in stock.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Mine arrived about an hour ago and I decided to clean up my wire mess for a bit. It's small and looks like barely anything in the huge space occupying my One.

I wasn't going to even use the controller that came with it but you have to for set up purposes. In typical Xbox fashion there is an immediate update. It failed the first few times but now appears to be going through. Then I expect updates for all my games. LOL. I might play sometime tonight.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Anyone else messing around with the Mountain Dew every60seconds promotion? I have saved up some points but it will be long shot I gather enough, A few guys from work are keeping their caps for me but this is how I got my Xbox One. I used to work as a vendor in and out of dozens of grocery stores when the One came out and a bunch of people saved their points for me. This year I am all on my own, I just may have to get a few of the smaller prizes

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Was pretty hit and miss around here. The closest target to me sold out within an hour, Best Buy and the two gamestops close by also sold out. Believe it or not the Walmart here didn't get any. Went to a Target about 20 miles away and they had 5 in stock.

Wow, thankfully I didn't mess around and wait until after work..

I'm guessing I maaaay get a game or two of COD in tonight after the downloads and updates

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I have an Xbox One S.

If you really don't care about the 4k stuff, is there really any point to buy the Xbox One X right now?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Mine arrived about an hour ago and I decided to clean up my wire mess for a bit. It's small and looks like barely anything in the huge space occupying my One.

I wasn't going to even use the controller that came with it but you have to for set up purposes. In typical Xbox fashion there is an immediate update. It failed the first few times but now appears to be going through. Then I expect updates for all my games. LOL. I might play sometime tonight.
Actually you dont have to use the controller it comes with for setup. I wirelessly synced my elite controller on its first boot up.

Anyone else messing around with the Mountain Dew every60seconds promotion? I have saved up some points but it will be long shot I gather enough, A few guys from work are keeping their caps for me but this is how I got my Xbox One. I used to work as a vendor in and out of dozens of grocery stores when the One came out and a bunch of people saved their points for me. This year I am all on my own, I just may have to get a few of the smaller prizes

If i get some caps ill let you know! I dont drink dew often but if I get one ill try to remember.

Reactions: TheBluePenguin

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I have an Xbox One S.

If you really don't care about the 4k stuff, is there really any point to buy the Xbox One X right now?

Supposedly cuts load times down significantly as well. Large open world games that are enhanced with be smoother and sharper. Other than that, if you only need one system, I would wait. I was in the market for a second system for awhile now so I thought why not.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Would not work
Worked fine for me. Pressed power for the first time and while the Xbox logo was showing on the TV I pressed sync on the console and my controller - boom. Easy.

The one that came with it I now use as my new PC controller.

I thought the same thing that I would probably have to use the one that came with it but nope, you dont.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Not other than it will run some games at 1080P, 60 FPS. I would wait then for a deal.
Supposedly cuts load times down significantly as well. Large open world games that are enhanced with be smoother and sharper. Other than that, if you only need one system, I would wait. I was in the market for a second system for awhile now so I thought why not.

Thanks for the answers.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It also depends what you play. Like NBA 2k18 looks better but marginally with 4k where as Gears and Halo look amazing with HDR. They spent a ton of time on those two. Battlefront next week is also supposed to be pretty good. Moving forward I would think the majority of big games will be 4K HDR. Read on Neogaf Tombraider is also really good.

Still not crazy with the current dashboard. Started moving my games that I play from the external to internal as my thought maybe it's faster?? What's annoying is going from HDR to the non HDR dashboard my tv resets the picture for a second. This is common sometime if you between like 4K, 1080P or 420 content.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Got my Scorpio in. For some reason, the network transfer is slow as shit. Not my network, since I am normally at 80-100 (100 plan). Was topping out at 60.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It also depends what you play. Like NBA 2k18 looks better but marginally with 4k where as Gears and Halo look amazing with HDR. They spent a ton of time on those two. Battlefront next week is also supposed to be pretty good. Moving forward I would think the majority of big games will be 4K HDR. Read on Neogaf Tombraider is also really good.

Still not crazy with the current dashboard. Started moving my games that I play from the external to internal as my thought maybe it's faster?? What's annoying is going from HDR to the non HDR dashboard my tv resets the picture for a second. This is common sometime if you between like 4K, 1080P or 420 content.

Wait, did they not make the dashboard 4K HDR? That must be my issue, too. My Vizio freaks out a bit with the constant changing. Very, very, very annoying.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

Wait, did they not make the dashboard 4K HDR? That must be my issue, too. My Vizio freaks out a bit with the constant changing. Very, very, very annoying.

I don't think so, I get a black screen for a second like my tv is switching between resolutions.

Settings > Display > Video Output

Set it to 4K and your Xbox will be 4K all the time. I do believe the dashboard is not native 4K but if you change the setting then it wont auto switch to 1080p when you go to the dashboard and then switch to 4K when you load a 4K game. You can set it to always be 4K and it will just upscale anything that's not native 4K.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Settings > Display > Video Output

Set it to 4K and your Xbox will be 4K all the time. I do believe the dashboard is not native 4K but if you change the setting then it wont auto switch to 1080p when you go to the dashboard and then switch to 4K when you load a 4K game. You can set it to always be 4K and it will just upscale anything that's not native 4K.

It is set to that the problem is the dashboard is either not 4K or HDR so some displays blackout when they switch between the two. They need a setting for 4k dashboard.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
It is set to that the problem is the dashboard is either not 4K or HDR so some displays blackout when they switch between the two. They need a setting for 4k dashboard.
Interesting. I had that problem until I switched that setting. Since then everything has been fine.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I got a scorpio edition in from Amazon and haven't opened it yet, thinking I might give it as a gift instead. Not sure I really need the upgrade over the S.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I got a scorpio edition in from Amazon and haven't opened it yet, thinking I might give it as a gift instead. Not sure I really need the upgrade over the S.

I wouldn't be able to not check it out. lol. I loaded some games on my One's HD and gave it to my father. It's not even worth selling it for $100.00. Can your wrap your S and give it ...

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I wouldn't be able to not check it out. lol. I loaded some games on my One's HD and gave it to my father. It's not even worth selling it for $100.00. Can your wrap your S and give it ...

So looks like the only people I'd gift it to didn't need it relative to the cost, opened it up last night and overall it just made me realize how little I needed a gaming device of that scale. I guess I need to do some benchmarking against games and see if the gaming performance is better, but until I load up games and transfer stuff over, it's just... eh. I know I'm not comparing it to anything properly since it's a pure workhorse machine. I can't help but feel like the Scorpio edition was lame, just a couple green labels on the case and controllers. And compared to my XB1S it's been the exact same thing so far until I get a game going.

Hoping this changes once I find time to play something like maybe Witcher 3 or if I get Battlefront 2. Younger me would have been so much more excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad