SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
afae9bc6-0133-42c0-946b-ee32479f2a9d.jpg

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Props to Sniper for the thread title. ;)

I'm still mulling over the Xbox One X vs the One S.

My entire reason for wanting the Xbox is to play with buddies on Xbox. I won't use it that much, which has me leaning cheaper. However, the power of the One X is tempting at the same time. :laugh:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Props to Sniper for the thread title. ;)

I'm still mulling over the Xbox One X vs the One S.

My entire reason for wanting the Xbox is to play with buddies on Xbox. I won't use it that much, which has me leaning cheaper. However, the power of the One X is tempting at the same time. :laugh:

I'm actually having the same internal debate lol..

With the One S being half the price its soooo tempting... but I don't want to buy it then need to upgrade in 2-3 years...

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I'll get a XBX after it goes on sale, I bought a 4K TV and really want to take advantage of the best picture I can just to see if it was worth it. May be silly, but really it's just a big curiosity after years or people saying the best frame rate, picture, etc is what makes a platform better. Set myself up to see.

The only disappointment for me is the one color option. The white XBS is perfect for my set-up.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Mmmm. Everyone will probably have a 4k capable tv in a few years. The X may come down in price but if you don't own one already I would be hesitant to buy the S now.

At least build quality seems to be better this go around. My launch day version is still going strong.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Won't take long for next gen Xbox to have better games then this one

Its just game development in general imo. Games now take longer to develop. Next Gen implies a complete overhaul in the way games are made. The difference between Skyrim and Witcher 3. Throw in Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4. Those games take a long time to make. I dont see there being next gen games (that are not also on current gen hardware) for at least 5 years.

The development cycles for games like Far Cry, COD, and Assassins Creed are shorter for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Mmmm. Everyone will probably have a 4k capable tv in a few years. The X may come down in price but if you don't own one already I would be hesitant to buy the S now.

At least build quality seems to be better this go around. My launch day version is still going strong.

Yes but will they have HDR?

I see so many 4K TV's for sale that are cheap. Like $399 for a 55" 4K. But there's no HDR. 4K without HDR is pointless and not real 4K and you cannot game or watch movies in 4K. Well, you can but it looks super washed out. The Xbox even yells at you if you try to game or watch a movie in 4K without HDR.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

I see so many 4K TV's for sale that are cheap. Like $399 for a 55" 4K. But there's no HDR. 4K without HDR is pointless and not real 4K and you cannot game or watch movies in 4K. Well, you can but it looks super washed out. The Xbox even yells at you if you try to game or watch a movie in 4K without HDR.

Not really.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Not really.

Care to explain? I have played on 4K and watched movies without HDR and 4K with HDR. The difference is insane. It's stupid how big of a difference it makes.

Here what the One S says when you don't have HDR.

IMG_1133-980x653.jpg

I highly recommend reading this: http://www.businessinsider.com/4k-tv-hdr-whats-the-difference-2016-8

HDR is the real deal

So, what should you take away from all this? First, 4K and HDR aren’t mutually exclusive — several 4K HDR TVs are already available, and the pair will come hand in hand going forward. Some sets do HDR much better than others, though. To get a good one right now, you have to go into $1,500-2,000 range. That’s not cheap.

Second, to be clear: It’s not like you absolutely shouldn’t buy a non-HDR 4K TV today. If you’re in a bind, feel free. Again, HDR is a high-end feature for now, it’ll be awhile before HDR content is widely accessible, and the premium 1080p TV is being phased out of existence.

Still, between the two, HDR is the real step forward. If you can wait for the HDR market to mature before making that next big TV purchase — or if you have the cash to get something good today — do so. It’s the buzzword worth buying into.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

There are also TV's with **** HDR so even then it isn't that simple. The best option, though flawed, is the same one as it's always been. Go to the store and look at the panels when they're running.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
There are also TV's with **** HDR so even then it isn't that simple. The best option, though flawed, is the same one as it's always been. Go to the store and look at the panels when they're running.

I don't see how looking at a TV running and deciding which one you like is a flawed option. Everyone is going to be different. More importantly is the HDR for the power. I have never seen a 4K without HDR next to one with HDR and think 'Wow, that's some crappy HDR there.' Maybe they exist but all HDR TV's I have seen and used have been great and noticeably better than non HDR 4K TV's. Not even close, its obvious - in my opinion.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I don't see how looking at a TV running and deciding which one you like is a flawed option. Everyone is going to be different. More importantly is the HDR for the power. I have never seen a 4K without HDR next to one with HDR and think 'Wow, that's some crappy HDR there.' Maybe they exist but all HDR TV's I have seen and used have been great and noticeably better than non HDR 4K TV's. Not even close, its obvious - in my opinion.

The displays can look better or worse depending on settings. Some TV's advertise eco settgs and look worse because the eco settings are basically a trick that nobody would use just to get a rating, while the more expensive sets are calibrated to the best possible settings. This is pretty well known.

And I've seen plenty of crap HDR where the difference is barely discernible. It almost never looks as good as the demos on the LG TV's. Also, HDR is designed for dimly lit rooms, so it's not always better than non-HDR for regular viewing

Speaking of LG. That is the ACTUAL difference in quality right now. Their OLED panels are simply in another league right now.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
The displays can look better or worse depending on settings. Some TV's advertise eco settgs and look worse because the eco settings are basically a trick that nobody would use just to get a rating, while the more expensive sets are calibrated to the best possible settings. This is pretty well known.

And I've seen plenty of crap HDR where the difference is barely discernible. It almost never looks as good as the demos on the LG TV's. Also, HDR is designed for dimly lit rooms, so it's not always better than non-HDR for regular viewing

Speaking of LG. That is the ACTUAL difference in quality right now. Their OLED panels are simply in another league right now.
Never heard this and not my experience at all. HDR looks better and is brigher / way better colors no matter what the environment. HDR has "real" blacks and dark colors so maybe that's what you are talking about? Because without HDR 4k is SEVERLY washed out and the backlights will light up dark colors and black colors. I have never heard anyone say HDR looked worse than non HDR in a brighter room though. That doesn't even really make sense considering how HDR works.

I get what you are saying that the demo settings aren't always the best and that eco crap is just to make some people feel warm and fuzzy inside. If people mess with the settings there's some seriously great pictures you can get from any HDR 4K tv. Which is why I don't think "bad HDR" is really a thing.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
HDR does not have "true blacks" whatever that means unless its OLED. LED panels need to keep the light turned, only OLED can completely turn off the pixels. The problem is only like two companies make OLED right now so you're gonna need to take out a second mortgage.

HDR is a pretty simple concept, cameras do something similar, and just like your camera, it doesn't always look better than regular picture. If you've got a very colorful image, it can make it look worse, and yes, HDR can make the image too dim in regular lighting. Its a common issue, look it up.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
HDR does not have "true blacks" whatever that means unless its OLED. LED panels need to keep the light turned, only OLED can completely turn off the pixels. The problem is only like two companies make OLED right now so you're gonna need to take out a second mortgage.

HDR is a pretty simple concept, cameras do something similar, and just like your camera, it doesn't always look better than regular picture. If you've got a very colorful image, it can make it look worse, and yes, HDR can make the image too dim in regular lighting. Its a common issue, look it up.

I never said it turns off pixels and I wasn't talking about just blacks. Dark colors. I am talking compared for 4K without HDR. Bringing this whole thing back to my original statement that 4K is pointless without HDR. It looks very garbagy and some games and movies wont even display properly without it.

If someone is having issues with their TV depending on the lighting in the room it sounds like an issue with the TV or they don't have their settings set up correctly. That's not a resolution / HDR issue. That's a TV issue.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
If someone is having issues with their TV depending on the lighting in the room it sounds like an issue with the TV or they don't have their settings set up correctly. That's not a resolution / HDR issue. That's a TV issue.

To you, to others the standard/standards is either flawed or not fully developed (or both I guess). I've seen plenty of cases where people prefer the non HDR mode of games or movies. If it needs tweaking to not make the image look worse then I dont see why you're not open to the possibility that its not the gamechanger you say it is. You can't even change certain settings on most if not all tvs with HDR on. Backlight and contrast are controlled by HDR.

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
To you, to others the standard/standards is either flawed or not fully developed (or both I guess). I've seen plenty of cases where people prefer the non HDR mode of games or movies. If it needs tweaking to not make the image look worse then I dont see why you're not open to the possibility that its not the gamechanger you say it is. You can't even change certain settings on most if not all tvs with HDR on. Backlight and contrast are controlled by HDR.

...Which is a TV setting. I don't know anyone who turns off HDR because of light in their room. Sounds silly to me. Doesn't change the fact that there are huge differences between 4K TV's with HDR and 4K TV's without it. The capabilities between the two are huge. At least you are talking about people turning it off and not just buying one without HDR. Because that's my biggest point. Buying one without HDR is just dumb IMO.

HDR content preserves details in the darkest and brightest areas of a picture that are lost using old standards such as Rec.709. It also allows for more natural, true-to-life colors that are closer to how we see them in real life.

In other words, you lose LOTS Of detail and color without HDR. It's like upscaled 1080i over component cables vs 1080p over HDMI. There is a big difference. Both are 1080 but the difference is big. It's even bigger between 4K and 4K HDR.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
My 1.5 year old Sony has HDR. It will be difficult to find a 4K tv without HDR in the next year I would say. If people want to go that route I say that's their choice. You are still getting 4K even without HDR.

and no OLED's are not that crazy expensive anymore. Sony's last top tier LED still matched the OLED in black levels in testing and OLED's were lagging specifically in input lag at that time. I have not read any recent tests. Sony's 55 Inch OLED $3,499 which is not cheap but in line with top tier displays. I would still wait.

Being as this is the Xbox thread, it was never stated 4K HDR to take advantage of the system, just 4K.

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
My 1.5 year old Sony has HDR. It will be difficult to find a 4K tv without HDR in the next year I would say. If people want to go that route I say that's their choice. You are still getting 4K even without HDR.

and no OLED's are not that crazy expensive anymore. Sony's last top tier LED still matched the OLED in black levels in testing and OLED's were lagging specifically in input lag at that time. I have not read any recent tests. Sony's 55 Inch OLED $3,499 which is not cheap but in line with top tier displays. I would still wait.

Being as this is the Xbox thread, it was never stated 4K HDR to take advantage of the system, just 4K.

I would bet that HDR becomes more affordable and more available sure. But since they can sell a 4K TV (without HDR) and basically dupe people into thinking they have real 4K they will keep doing it. Its sad to me seeing all these 4K TV's for sale for $400-ish and people think they can do anything that says it supports 4K when lots of content will require HDR to us 4K.

Well the Xbox One S won't even play a game like Gears of War 4 in 4K unless you have HDR. There are movies that are the same way. Some let you watch in 4K without HDR but they look terrible.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
The S doesn't play games in 4k at all.

Upscaled and in HDR, yes it does. The games are not native or anything but they are in 4K and in HDR. Your "at all" comment is false.

It's also one of the cheapest 4K Blu-Ray players on the market. Actual 4K and HDR. Plus - its an Xbox One so... bonus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->