Microsoft Xbox Discussion - It is my nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The PS5 will have an m.2 slot. There's no reason Microsoft couldn't have done the same.

Well, the Series X and S have an m.2 slot, as well. It's just taken up by the included hard drive. You could conceivably take that drive out, hook it up to a PC, clone it to a larger capacity drive and then put that larger drive back into the console. That's a lot of work, but it's probably doable.

The PS5 just has a second, empty m.2 slot into which you can stick a new drive alongside the old one. That's a whole lot easier than the process that I just described, but also more work than sticking an external drive into a rear expansion slot.

We don't know if Microsoft could've added a second m.2 slot. It's possible that they couldn't have even if they'd wanted to. For one, the motherboard may not support more than two PCIe-connected storage devices. After the internal SSD, it may've been a choice of adding a second internal connector or adding an external connector. Even if the chipset could maybe support more than two, the motherboard is so tiny that there may not have been room to. Of course, it's also possible that they didn't want to include an empty internal connector in order to dissuade people from opening up the console, and that would be unfortunate, but my point is that there may be technical reasons, too.

Reactions: GreytWun

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I just got an e-mail from the source saying my pre-order has been refunded.

I didn't cancel it, i didn't say anything. I want a god damn explanation.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I just got an e-mail from the source saying my pre-order has been refunded.

I didn't cancel it, i didn't say anything. I want a god damn explanation.

Probably like many of the other retailers who are refunding people as well. Wonky systems in place where too many people were allowed to order and/or they had no idea how many consoles they were getting yet and overshot on the amount they put up for pre order. That's a big rumor I'm reading.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Probably like many of the other retailers who are refunding people as well. Wonky systems in place where too many people were allowed to order and/or they had no idea how many consoles they were getting yet and overshot on the amount they put up for pre order. That's a big rumor I'm reading.

That would make sense if I wasn't the first one in for a pre order at my source store. I know the guy came and told me he thought he charged me for warranty when they werent supposed to so that might have something to do with it.

I paid with my visa and they refunded me in cash...i got the receipt long after they closed too. I'll have to check it out since i work literally right across the hall from where I pre-ordered it

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Never mind. Turns out the issue was they weren't supposed to sell warranty yet (I didn't get it) so they had to reprocess all of the sales to make sure no one got charged and I got an email that was essentially pointless.

We good.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Doom Eternal is not on gamepass yet. Dont tell me it was only console or a regional deal or something stupid like that.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Its coming to PC, just not today. They were pretty clear on that when it was announced. I think they just said later this year.
I think they actually said today, which is why I mention it. "Xbox gamepass" is what it's called on PC too, and it was announced Doom Eternal was gonna be on Gamepass today.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think they actually said today, which is why I mention it. "Xbox gamepass" is what it's called on PC too, and it was announced Doom Eternal was gonna be on Gamepass today.
This is the press release from a week ago when it was announced.

Prepare to Raze Hell: Doom Eternal is Coming to Xbox Game Pass on October 1 - Xbox Wire
Doom Eternal has been called one of the best first-person shooters ever. If you haven’t already experienced its unique brand of fast-paced, push-forward, first-person combat, now’s the time to blast your way into id Software’s critically acclaimed game coming to Xbox Game Pass on October 1 and Xbox Game Pass for PC later in 2020.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Why would they release it on PC later?

Doesn't make much sense imo. I am going to wait because I want to play it on PC but would be interesting to hear their explanation.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Just got Game Pass Ultimate for $1 a month until October of 2023. I bought 30 months of cards from EB Games, got an extra 2 (couldn't use the 3rd) free months by turning on recurring billing and had a few left on my current subscription. Will end up costing me about 6 cdn a month.

There's a great thread on redflagdeals if anyone is interested in doing it.

[Microsoft Store] Upgrade XBox Live Gold to Gamepass Ultimate at 1:1 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

It's an outstanding deal. Did this last year.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Just got Game Pass Ultimate for $1 a month until October of 2023. I bought 30 months of cards from EB Games, got an extra 2 (couldn't use the 3rd) free months by turning on recurring billing and had a few left on my current subscription. Will end up costing me about 6 cdn a month.

[Microsoft Store] Upgrade XBox Live Gold to Gamepass Ultimate at 1:1 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

The cards are digital I'm assuming? I also noticed they have Xbox All Access Series X up on EB Games finally. 39.99 is the placeholder.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
The cards are digital I'm assuming? I also noticed they have Xbox All Access Series X up on EB Games finally. 39.99 is the placeholder.
I went in and they just print the code right on the receipt, I'd assume if you ordered online it would just be an email code.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
It's an outstanding deal. Did this last year.
I'm pretty pumped, gonna save almost the cost of the console over the entirety of it. I've got Dishonored 2 and Doom Eternal downloading as we speak.

Edit: Just wanted to say that this may be the last time that it will ever be possible to do this. It isn't possible to buy Live through Microsoft anymore and a lot of people are speculating they may make Xbox Live Gold free with the launch of the Series X/S.

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

how long does it take the codes to send?

Costco is cancelling the order, not sure why.

sigh, I'll probably just buy it in store whenever I get the chance.

Last edited:

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario

Xbox Series X will let you uninstall parts of games to free up storage space

Xbox Series X will let you uninstall parts of games to free up storage space, while still playing the parts you want.
The new storage management feature is coming to Xbox Series S as well, and Xbox director of program management Jason Ronald explained in the latest Xbox Podcast that it's an optional feature which developers will be able to opt into. Improvements like this should help make that 1TB of built-in storage go a lot further.

"Even beyond the hardware, we've actually made user interface improvements to make it easier for you to manage your storage," Ronald explained. "As an example, one of the new features we're adding is actually for, if a title chooses to support it, the ability to selectively uninstall different components of the game."

Xbox Series X will let you uninstall parts of games to free up storage space | GamesRadar+
Pretty cool feature.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Pretty cool feature.

That really is cool. That's a feature that I would love to see come to PC.

Between this, game compatibility and the external expansion slot, it feels like Microsoft is really trying to make things easier for gamers, whereas Sony seems more focused on marketing (theoretical SSD performance figures, game exclusivity and such).

Reactions: GreytWun
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca