Prospect Info: Michael McCarron

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
So...exoectations for this year?

AHL first line center. Definitely some call ups. Maybe 20-30 games depending on injuries. I think he's gonna put up some very good points. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets somewhere close to a PPG

That's sort of my thought too. I can still see him improving in the AHL but I agree that what he needs most is to learn to play at the pace of the NHL.

The big question for me is what condition is he going to show up in? DSP and Chucky both were able to improve their speed and conditioning last summer and put themselves in a position to succeed (though it didn't happen for DSP). If McCarron comes to camp in better condition and with more speed, he's got a real good chance to play all year in Montreal.

I don't disagree but I just think we should let him over ripen like we did with Ghetto and are doing with Hudon. You just don't rush big guys imo.

I just really hope we don't (or the org more specifically) pencils this guy in as a bottom 6er. When Sly said early on that he won't be a goal scorer in the NHL I thought that was just so stupid.

I'm not saying he's a lock for a top 6 (I know I'm one of the few who thinks he has top 6 upside) but what's the use of pigeon holing him as one? The guy had almost a goal a game with London in his last junior year and had 2 hat tricks in his first year of pro in the first half of the season. Again, I'm not saying that makes him a top 6 lock but my god why put a cap on his upside?

That is pretty impressive. He seems to put a lot of effort into his training. He's come a long way since his first year of junior where he was starting to look like a bit of a bust. At one point I was even scared even though I was a fan since his first preseason games with us.

McCarron might turn into a beast!

I think he'll be as good as his conditioning is. I really think he has top 6 upside. Mainly because I just think he has so much room to improve on a pretty decent first year of pro. More room than a lot of our other prospects imo. His development curve has been very very good which is supposed to be a very good gauge of what a player an be. So much of his improvement will just come from him growing into his body and continuing to put in that offseason work.

I really think he's underrated by most. People see his ceiling as a great 3rd liner. I personally think thats his floor. I can't see him being any worse than that. For me he's one of the few locks we have in our system. A lock to at least be an NHLer and a pretty effective one.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
You know what I want to see? McCarron working on his f-ing stickhandling, passing and shooting.

Him jumping around doesn't mean squat. The problem is not his legs, it never was.

Prospects should work on their weaknesses, not their strengths.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
You know what I want to see? McCarron working on his f-ing stickhandling, passing and shooting.

Him jumping around doesn't mean squat. The problem is not his legs, it never was.

Do you think this is all he's been doing this off-season...lol

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
I really think he's underrated by most. People see his ceiling as a great 3rd liner. I personally think thats his floor. I can't see him being any worse than that. For me he's one of the few locks we have in our system. A lock to at least be an NHLer and a pretty effective one.

Well said.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Are you his personal trainer or something? Do you know what are hist strengths and weaknesses?

You saw one video of like 15 seconds and you are ready to make judgement ?

Top notch logic on this board!

This guy has all the tools to make it , the only thing he lacks is stamina , he looked out of breath each shift he was out there . Him working on legs and cardio is the right thing to do!

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
If the Habs are bringing up McCarron at center on the 4th line, I would love to see JDLR(LW) size, speed, effort +++, then add Stefan Matteau(RW) for those same attributes. What a great "Energy Line" they would drive their opponents crazy with their efforts, most likely winning more possession time every shift, once they build chemistry together!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Quite the opposite...leg strength would help him a great deal, for a man of his size, he's too easily knocked off the puck, he needs to work on his balance/power/explosion.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007

You know what he is doing will help his explosiveness and his stamina. Two things that were a bit lacking last year.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The guy is a specimen. He is maturing right before our eyes. The 20 game stint opened his eyes as to what he needed to improve. He has top 6 upside. Don't rush him! One more year in the AHL won't hurt him.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Quite the opposite...leg strength would help him a great deal, for a man of his size, he's too easily knocked off the puck, he needs to work on his balance/power/explosion.

yup leg strength is what he desperately needs. He's very top heavy or was anyways. He fell a lot.

I think his future success hinges most on his leg strength from what I can see. Endurance too.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy

Although I agree he has to work on his hockey skills, he still needs plenty of work physically. A scout openly said his team wrote McCarron off their board because of his work ethic (or lack thereof). In junior he was knocked down quite easily by much smaller players in his first year. Also, working on his explosiveness will translate to the ice. Although it's hard to make much gains in that department, that's still a fairly big weakness of his. All that being said, it's only a 10 seconds video and the steps are barely higher than his knees. Doesn't mean much as far as I'm concerned. We shall see in training camp how far he has come along.

as a reference

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

His offensive tools are actually good for a guy his size, once he gets more speed he'll have more time to use his passing which is pretty underrated.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
If the Habs are bringing up McCarron at center on the 4th line, I would love to see JDLR(LW) size, speed, effort +++, then add Stefan Matteau(RW) for those same attributes. What a great "Energy Line" they would drive their opponents crazy with their efforts, most likely winning more possession time every shift, once they build chemistry together!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

definitely not a realistic option

Would mean that Byron, Mitchell, Flynn, Farnham, Danault, and 1 or 2 of Lehkonen, Ghetto, and Carr would be healthy scratches. Would be impossible to figure out with the cap and roster limits.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
definitely not a realistic option

Would mean that Byron, Mitchell, Flynn, Farnham, Danault, and 1 or 2 of Lehkonen, Ghetto, and Carr would be healthy scratches. Would be impossible to figure out with the cap and roster limits.

and it would also be a significantly worse 4th line anyways.

Mitchell > McCarron ( at the moment )
Danault >> DLR
Byron >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Matteau

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Balance and stamina is the key. Nobody cares if you are big if you are always falling. And a 40-sec shift that is only looking good for the first 25 isn't good either. Good news is that he improved both since 2 years ago. We will see how this summer helped too.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

One of his biggest problems is his lack of lower body strength as he needs to improve his balance by a good bit. His passing game is underrated, he's going to score more of his goals from in close. In addition he's going to be very useful on the PP just by creating havoc in the crease. I watched him do it all year for the IceCaps, it doesn't show up on the stat sheet but it clearly leads to goals.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
One of his biggest problems is his lack of lower body strength as he needs to improve his balance by a good bit. His passing game is underrated, he's going to score more of his goals from in close. In addition he's going to be very useful on the PP just by creating havoc in the crease. I watched him do it all year for the IceCaps, it doesn't show up on the stat sheet but it clearly leads to goals.

His shot is underrated too, he has an absolutely wicked release he just doesn't get it off as fast as say Pacioretty. Nothing to suggest it's not an aspect of the game he could improve, just like Patches did.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Balance and stamina is the key. Nobody cares if you are big if you are always falling. And a 40-sec shift that is only looking good for the first 25 isn't good either. Good news is that he improved both since 2 years ago. We will see how this summer helped too.

Completely agree with this. He looked like a completely different player from the start of camp to his 20 games stint. It was pretty obvious he didn't have much left in the tank.

If he builds his stamina and strength to NHL level he can be an absolute BEAST.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

When we talk about balance, I immediately get reminded of how often pouliot would be down on the ice on a regular basis. There's an example of how size does not mean much without balance (although pouliot is not a heavy player but he does have height).

Seems like pouliot has improved on that aspect in the last 3-4 seasons though.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
When we talk about balance, I immediately get reminded of how often pouliot would be down on the ice on a regular basis. There's an example of how size does not mean much without balance (although pouliot is not a heavy player but he does have height).

Seems like pouliot has improved on that aspect in the last 3-4 seasons though.

Absolutely true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1