Prospect Info: Michael McCarron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
When one player loses weight, people cheer up. When another player gains weight, people also cheer up. Whenever the player weight fluctuates, fans are happy :)

When a guy is too heavy and slow and loses weight, we are happy.

When a guy is too weak and get bounced around too much and gain weight, we are happy.

Makes sense to me

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Man, I really love Mac as a prospect. He gets it and he walks it like he talks it.

one of my faves for sure. Even if he tops out as a 3rd liner, he'll still be a doozy. I think he has more personally. Depends on what our top 6 looks like. Either way he'll make this team better.

Looking forward to see his progress for sure this year.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Man, I really love Mac as a prospect. He gets it and he walks it like he talks it.

Following his development every year since he was drafted fills me with hope.

- After being drafted, he goes to London to get used to heavier schedule. Doesn't do that great.
- Year two in Junior, he's moved to center and dominates.
- Traded to Oshawa and wins the Memorial Cup and playing a key role in the team.
- Debuts in AHL, becomes a dominant player and even makes the all-star game.
- Debuts in NHL, while not standing out, you saw he has qualities. Puts the puck at net a lot and drives it as well. Great to see a 6'5" and 230lbs do that.
- At development camp and now 1 game rookie tournament, he dominated as you'd expect him to.

Since 2013, he's been doing nothing but progress.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
What I like most about his game is that he's doing all the right things he needs to succeed in the NHL. He's always driving the net, being physical and makes hard plays.

Once his conditioning and reaction time is up to NHL levels he'll be a very good player that can become a dominate one at the NHL level.

Seriously, not much not to love about his development right now.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
When McCarron was drafted the entire hockey world knew he was a longterm project and they were not wrong. He has come such a long way both physically and maturity wise. For once it seems we may be actually developing a young player properly. McCarron "gets it" and that is why he will be an NHLer for years to come.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Especially now that it seems he's shed some weight (I think 10lbs?) And was working on his leg strength to improve his skating.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Especially now that it seems he's shed some weight (I think 10lbs?) And was working on his leg strength to improve his skating.

The best thing that happened to McCarron was playing 20 NHL games last year. He witnessed what it takes to make it.

It seems to have resonated. Exciting prospect.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
The best thing that happened to McCarron was playing 20 NHL games last year. He witnessed what it takes to make it.

It seems to have resonated. Exciting prospect.

yeah I actually think it was smart to show him what it takes to be an NHLer for 20 games. A few people criticized that move but I always thought it was a good idea.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
yeah I actually think it was smart to show him what it takes to be an NHLer for 20 games. A few people criticized that move but I always thought it was a good idea.

only time will tell but with the recent track record in regards to having first year pros called up from the AHL, even if it works out, it's still taking a big risk with a top 2 prospect in the system.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
So how many goals does he have in the 2 rookie tournament games? 4?

Yep and the awesome part is that they've all been different. Last night he won the FO, parked his ass in front of the net and deflected the puck. His other goal came when he came from behind the net and cut accross. Friday night, one of his goal was a result of Lehkonen crashing the net and him burying the loose puck/rebound and his other goal came from a feed in the slot from Scherbak. :yo:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Yep and the awesome part is that they've all been different. Last night he won the FO, parked his ass in front of the net and deflected the puck. His other goal came when he came from behind the net and cut accross. Friday night, one of his goal was a result of Lehkonen crashing the net and him burying the loose puck/rebound and his other goal came from a feed in the slot from Scherbak. :yo:
I hope this kid, makes it impossible for the team to send him down...he is still a project, but would love to see him stay in Montreal this season...

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Correction, turns out it was Lehkonen who got the goal on that deflection I talked about in my post above.

there was also another goal against the pens where he was around the net and a goal scored that I don't even think he got a point for. That's going to be a common theme going forward. He'll create goals that he won't even get points for.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
there was also another goal against the pens where he was around the net and a goal scored that I don't even think he got a point for. That's going to be a common theme going forward. He'll create goals that he won't even get points for.

Oh yeah definitely, it sucks for those player types but it's in those cases where you see who just looks at the stats sheet and who pays attention to the games.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I hope this kid, makes it impossible for the team to send him down...he is still a project, but would love to see him stay in Montreal this season...
Man... if he makes it hard to be sent down, I'd be veyr impressed. I think I want to develop him toward the top6, rather than stick him in the NHL as a bottom6er.

Would y'all say, ideally, that he should stay in the AHL or NHL this coming season?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Man... if he makes it hard to be sent down, I'd be veyr impressed. I think I want to develop him toward the top6, rather than stick him in the NHL as a bottom6er.

Would y'all say, ideally, that he should stay in the AHL or NHL this coming season?

AHL with better coaching.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
only time will tell but with the recent track record in regards to having first year pros called up from the AHL, even if it works out, it's still taking a big risk with a top 2 prospect in the system.

I think it's okay because of the context of last year and all the injuries plus that it was done with the likeliness of him ultimately playing this year in the AHL being very high. Last year's circumstances are not exactly the same as rushing a prospect imo. So far I think it looks like a good idea.

I think we should definitely try and develop him as a top 6. What's there to lose? if he can't hack it as a top 6 he can definitely play on a 3rd line without it being a huge departure. I hate this whole thing that we have to develop him as a 3rd liner in the AHL because he might be one in the NHL. I'm glad we stopped that after we did it with LL. But I still hated it when Sly said that McCarron won't score goals in the NHL. Who says that?!? and why say that?!?

To answer your question, top minutes in the AHL for sure. Let him dominate and build up his confidence. It's pointless to have him on a 4th line right now imo. I think he has top 6 offense and it would be best developed in the AHL. I think he'll be a beaut if we show him some patience.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec

Wherever he plays the most... so AHL. At center, hoping he fills that C2 spot behind Galchenyuk one day.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Wherever he plays the most... so AHL. At center, hoping he fills that C2 spot behind Galchenyuk one day.

I feel like he can be a top 6er but it's hard for me to see it as a C. The thing is he seems to play better at C. I still think he could transition to wing if need be. It's possible he can be a 2nd C but that would be his absolute ceiling I imagine. I don't know if he quite has the skill or smarts to be a center in the top 6. He has skill and smarts but maybe not quite enough. Top 6 winger? Very possible.

We'll see. Anywhere he ends up he's going to make this team better imo.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
He needs to get used to the grind of an 82 game schedule, thats what he struggles with the most. He tires out too fast, just have him play alot of games and have him keep working on his conditioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille