Prospect Info: Michael McCarron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
If the Habs are bringing up McCarron at center on the 4th line, I would love to see JDLR(LW) size, speed, effort +++, then add Stefan Matteau(RW) for those same attributes. What a great "Energy Line" they would drive their opponents crazy with their efforts, most likely winning more possession time every shift, once they build chemistry together!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

I love you S Bah and i hope we will share a lot on this board after some numerous victory from our habs this season.

Oct 22, 2012
Although I agree he has to work on his hockey skills, he still needs plenty of work physically. A scout openly said his team wrote McCarron off their board because of his work ethic (or lack thereof). In junior he was knocked down quite easily by much smaller players in his first year. Also, working on his explosiveness will translate to the ice. Although it's hard to make much gains in that department, that's still a fairly big weakness of his. All that being said, it's only a 10 seconds video and the steps are barely higher than his knees. Doesn't mean much as far as I'm concerned. We shall see in training camp how far he has come along.

as a reference

Well to be fair, Pacioretty has great explosive skating, definitely among tops in the league so I don't think that's a fair reference at all.

I also doubt he is doing that jump as a part of his exercise regime. McCarron openly criticises himself in the media so I'm not worried about his work ethic anymore. He's come a long way since his draft year, and seems to be finding his target weight to be a well rounded NHLer. I don't think he will wow anybody at training camp but I'm expecting to see some better skating for sure. We were told he was a project and project is right on track as far as I'm concerned.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Well to be fair, Pacioretty has great explosive skating, definitely among tops in the league so I don't think that's a fair reference at all.

I also doubt he is doing that jump as a part of his exercise regime. McCarron openly criticises himself in the media so I'm not worried about his work ethic anymore. He's come a long way since his draft year, and seems to be finding his target weight to be a well rounded NHLer. I don't think he will wow anybody at training camp but I'm expecting to see some better skating for sure. We were told he was a project and project is right on track as far as I'm concerned.

Not saying he should be jumping that high but he's not pushing himself all that much with obstacles barely above knee high.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Not saying he should be jumping that high but he's not pushing himself all that much with obstacles barely above knee high.

We should probably let the Canadiens athletic/conditioning staff determine that

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

I'm no expert in terms of conditionning but considering how tall Mac is, above knee high is pretty good if you ask me. Let's not forget that he has 4 inches on Pacioretty and about 12-18 pounds.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
I'm no expert in terms of conditionning but considering how tall Mac is, above knee high is pretty good if you ask me. Let's not forget that he has 4 inches on Pacioretty and about 12-18 pounds.

This + the fact that what he was doing he did easily and multiple quick jumps vs 1. I'm sure he could do single ones much higher lol

Pacioretty is also a freak and his jump was ridiculous

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
So McCarron showed up at rookie camp 10lbs lighter this year, at 226. A faster McCarron could be a beast.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
So McCarron showed up at rookie camp 10lbs lighter this year, at 226. A faster McCarron could be a beast.

yeah he can stand to be a bit leaner. If his legs got stronger then I think he'll be a dandy. One of the big things holding him back. Stronger legs and a bit less weight should do the trick.

Definitely one of my favourite prospects. I think he's very underrated. Very excited to see how he does this year.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
yeah he can stand to be a bit leaner. If his legs got stronger then I think he'll be a dandy. One of the big things holding him back. Stronger legs and a bit less weight should do the trick.

Definitely one of my favourite prospects. I think he's very underrated. Very excited to see how he does this year.

Seriously. It's easy to just see the size, but he brings so much more. He's definitely a guy that could become very hard to send back down.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hope he's improved his lower body strength, but he's one of our top prospects for a reason. Still worried that the Habs will rush him again, when he needs to work on his offensive game in the AHL imo. Last year in 11:40 TOI he had 2 pts in 20 games. Would hate to see his offensive growth stunted.

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
Last year in 11:40 TOI he had 2 pts in 20 games. Would hate to see his offensive growth stunted.

Give him a role and consistent linemates and he will eventually produce. He will be very difficult to move in front of the net and will eventually start to get points. His endurance & balance should be better so the rookie tourney will be a great measuring stick to see how he's progressed since last season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Give him a role and consistent linemates and he will eventually produce. He will be very difficult to move in front of the net and will eventually start to get points. His endurance & balance should be better so the rookie tourney will be a great measuring stick to see how he's progressed since last season.

I wouldn't put much stock in the rookie tournament, for me it's more about how he holds up over the course of the season. He started off last season on fire but really struggled as the season went on. Being lighter will hopefully help him hold up longer though.

The problem isn't that he will eventually produce, it's the impact on his overall offensive game for the future, since he's one of our top prospects.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I think he's better off under MT than SL and that's saying a lot. Would maybe be a good idea to give him a role on the 4th line where he won't be expected to produce offensively just yet and gradually increase his role.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

Terrific! I've been advocating this for years...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=91063359&highlight=#post91063359
Chris Pronger played at 6'6" 220. Keith Primeau was more in line with the weight that you advocate: 230. 220 is no shrinking violet, especially if at 6'6"", the player is pushing down on other players most of the time. I think that it's up to MM to develop the introspection about what his game is, and play at the weight that maximizes his impact. My intuition tells me that the pace of the game is picking up. Either way, I want the player to emphasize the development of his legs, so that he can keep up with the smaller, more agile players, while still having biomechanical advantages over them.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=87852791&postcount=110
This issue is also why I advocate McCarron tipping the scales at a slightly lesser weight, 225-230, while concentrating his training on making his skating explosive. He can also improve his shooting with suitable exercises, although this need not entail substantial weight gain in his upper body. If he is fast for his size at 240, he will be that much faster, while still a handful for most defenders, at 6'5" 225.

I think that I have earlier ones than that actually, but I can't find them. :skeptic:

Back then, a lot of contributors to those threads were advocating the opposite: they wanted to see him tip the scales at 245-250 and play like a battering ram. The game is changing though and he would not have much of a career ahead of him, especially as a fairly skilled forward, at that weight.

Hopefully all that hard work makes him more agile and explosive.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
As a lifelong Habs fan that has watched the team reach this level of maturity, depth, alongside a great core group. I believe the team needs to bring in some of the youth now, helping ease the salary cap restraints for next season, also viewing some more of McCarron, JDLR, Hudon, this season. Still time for them next season, unless they force the Habs to bring them up with great playing. Otherwise playing Andrighetto, Danault & Matteau, this season makes more sense, giving them the opportunities to make or break their careers in Montreal this year.

McCarron if he continues in the same vein he's showed so far in his career, I expect him to dominate the AHL this season, becoming the PWF Timmins, Bergevin & many others of us seen in him 3 short yrs. ago. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see McCarron, Matteau, JDLR, Lehkonen, possibly Friberg & Hudon force the Habs brass to give them roles in the lineup, possibly roster roles. Which in turn may create a trade with Colorado for center Matt Duchene, the speedster whose rumored to be available, certainly would be a valuable player in the playoffs later this season. As I pointed out bringing up young prospects eases the salary cap restraints, which would make room for both Duchene & Radulov for next season, IMHO!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
McCarron has the "it" factor.

The guy just gets it. He's gonna be a special player for us.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
6'6, plays a hard hitting, gritty style and can score. Will stand up for his teammates and doesn't shy away from the tough areas.

We haven't had a guy like this in... Ever?

Maybe Shayne Corson?

Looking forward to this guy being a force for a long long time as a Hab.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
When one player loses weight, people cheer up. When another player gains weight, people also cheer up. Whenever the player weight fluctuates, fans are happy :)

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
6'6, plays a hard hitting, gritty style and can score. Will stand up for his teammates and doesn't shy away from the tough areas.

We haven't had a guy like this in... Ever?

Maybe Shayne Corson?

Looking forward to this guy being a force for a long long time as a Hab.

Corson was 6"

Montreal once had Trevor Linden on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad