Prospect Info: Michael McCarron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If McCarron shows at camp/preseason he's ready then he should get a spot but if not, spending more time in the AHL to work on his offensive game would be good for him imo. I hated that he was called up as a 20 year old, would rather they take their time when bringing up 20 year olds to the NHL unless they are flat out dominating. He started off that way in the first month but then really struggled for much of the season.

Hope he is ready but another year in AHL is probable. Still would love too see him surprise and be in our bottom 6.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hope he is ready but another year in AHL is probable. Still would love too see him surprise and be in our bottom 6.

I would think he'll need more time in the AHL but will likely see some games when injuries hit. I would like to see him and DLR get time to work on their offensive game in the AHL without the pressure that the Habs will be under this year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
McCarron's skating needs to be improved BIG time if he wants to be in the NHL

I don't think it's that much of an issue, I think he needs to improve his lower body strength and balance more. I don't expect him to ever be a great skater but I think that if he had more lower body strength and better balance it would help him a lot. He has seem to make some improvements there from his junior days to this past season, as he seemed to have spent less time falling down.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
McCarron's skating needs to be improved BIG time if he wants to be in the NHL

You should have posted this years ago when it was a relevant concern. His skating and fitness have improved dramatically since his draft day. He's been killing the drills at camp. McCarron + Confidence = huge upgrade for us.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Another year in AHL will definitely not hurt him. If I'm not mistaken, Bergevin wanted to take the same approach for McCarron as he did with Hudon when he started his pro career 2 seasons ago. Hudon was told that no matter what, he will stay in Hamilton. They were looking to do the same with Big Mac last season. But with all the injuries, he got called up because they felt they needed more size. He didn't particularly stand out, but he didn't look out of place.

One thing that is very encouraging with McCarron is that since he got drafted in 2013, he has been in constant progression. He went from the US NTDP to OHL London Knights (to adjust to longer seasons). His first year wasn't great. But he came back, became one of the Knights' better players (even placed at center and flourished). He gets traded to Oshawa, goes on to win the Memorial Cup. Then makes his pro hockey debut in St. John's and becomes an AHL All-Star. Debuts in NHL and didn't look out of place.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Another year in AHL will definitely not hurt him. If I'm not mistaken, Bergevin wanted to take the same approach for McCarron as he did with Hudon when he started his pro career 2 seasons ago. Hudon was told that no matter what, he will stay in Hamilton. They were looking to do the same with Big Mac last season. But with all the injuries, he got called up because they felt they needed more size. He didn't particularly stand out, but he didn't look out of place.

One thing that is very encouraging with McCarron is that since he got drafted in 2013, he has been in constant progression. He went from the US NTDP to OHL London Knights (to adjust to longer seasons). His first year wasn't great. But he came back, became one of the Knights' better players (even placed at center and flourished). He gets traded to Oshawa, goes on to win the Memorial Cup. Then makes his pro hockey debut in St. John's and becomes an AHL All-Star. Debuts in NHL and didn't look out of place.

How do you know that they said this to Hudon?

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
How do you know that they said this to Hudon?

Well, in his draft +3 year ('14/15) he didn't even get a single game of call-up - not even to fill in for injury. It's not just possible, but probable that the team laid out a set of developmental objectives for him that year that at least suggested he wouldn't be seeing any NHL except for very extreme circumstances.

But point taken. We obviously don't really know. Easy enough to surmise though, in hindsight.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't think it's that much of an issue, I think he needs to improve his lower body strength and balance more. I don't expect him to ever be a great skater but I think that if he had more lower body strength and better balance it would help him a lot. He has seem to make some improvements there from his junior days to this past season, as he seemed to have spent less time falling down.

You should have posted this years ago when it was a relevant concern. His skating and fitness have improved dramatically since his draft day. He's been killing the drills at camp. McCarron + Confidence = huge upgrade for us.

The 20 games he played with us he was very slow, but I'm sure he improves for this season.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Hopefully he can continue improving his quickness. His straight ahead speed is adequate. It's the first two step quickness he needs to improve. He will IMO be a 3rd/4th line player

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
2 or 3 years in the AHL appears to be the norm unless someone special comes along. However, I prefer McCarron over Byron, Flynn, Matteau, in our bottom 6. Will be a good fit on the 3rd line once he gets use to the NHL. He has shown progression each year since being drafted so hopefully another step forward this year!

We all know MT... he needs to have a good +/- to stay with the big club. Last year NHL stats (20 games, 1G, 1A, -10). Habs had a bad year but this gave plenty of experience opportunity for a lot of our prospects with all those injuries. 20 games for McCarron was a good thing and now he knows what it takes

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The 20 games he played with us he was very slow, but I'm sure he improves for this season.

quickness and skating are different issues. I don't consider him slow but he does need to get quicker. Hopefully now that he looks to have trimmed down some, that will help him. On the other hand I don't think he'll ever be known for his quickness per say, other then perhaps he could be considered quick for his size one day if he makes improvements in his lower body strength and they work with him over the next few years to try and improve his overall and first step quickness.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I think he become a mean version of Brian Boyle. I'd be good with that. Good for around 15 goals a year, physical presence in front of the net, but can drop them too.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
is he good?

I'm really high on him. Higher than most. I think he has top 6 upside. I don't think he's a lock there but if he has as much room to improve as I think he does then it's definitely possible.

Even if he caps out as a 3rd liner he'll be a fan favourite. Really excited to see how he and a bunch of others do this year.

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
I'm really high on him. Higher than most. I think he has top 6 upside. I don't think he's a lock there but if he has as much room to improve as I think he does then it's definitely possible.

Even if he caps out as a 3rd liner he'll be a fan favourite. Really excited to see how he and a bunch of others do this year.

Big Mac can be developed into a top 6 if he has a speedy & talented winger. One that can pass and actually pick a corner when shooting from 10-15 feet winger ala Max Domi. McCarron can win a face off and cause chaos in front of the crease. A player that can pick a corner will have a career night with this kid in front of the goalie. If he was lined up with a guy like Radulov....sky's the limit.

I'd give him a try on the 3rd line with a smaller player like Andrighetto, Byron, Carr or crappy DD. His size can make any smurf type of player 5 inches taller.

McCarron is showing he has the off season training regime to improve on his weaknesses. He needs to develop a quicker first 2-3 steps & endurance to last through a shift. If those improved he's likely going to stay up from day one of the season. He's the type of player that will succeed in dump, chase & grind hockey that MT, Bargainbin & CrapBeer love & believe is the only way to win.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
A third line centred by Big Mac with Carr and Shaw as his wingers will be hell for the opposition. Two smaller, speedy wingers and a monster in the middle. A line where all three crash the net and do not back down. Shaw and Carr's speed would help with McCarron's slower pace.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
A third line centred by Big Mac with Carr and Shaw as his wingers will be hell for the opposition. Two smaller, speedy wingers and a monster in the middle. A line where all three crash the net and do not back down. Shaw and Carr's speed would help with McCarron's slower pace.

MUCH rather see this then a 3rd line featuring David ****ing desharnais

McCarron should be on the team regardless tho

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
MUCH rather see this then a 3rd line featuring David ****ing desharnais

McCarron should be on the team regardless tho

He was underwhelming in the NHL last year, let's wait and see him actually look good before penciling him on the team, he was always a long term project and he's still at least a year away imo, don't let your DD hate ruin a good prospect just for the sake of adding size.

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
He was underwhelming in the NHL last year, let's wait and see him actually look good before penciling him on the team, he was always a long term project and he's still at least a year away imo, don't let your DD hate ruin a good prospect just for the sake of adding size.

The one thing MT doesn't understand is leaving players together for more than 5 games....even if they have a rough patch so they can build some chemistry together. McCarron was thrown in with different linemates every game.

Watch some highlights of him with Domi on London. McCarron would come in as the trailer while his wingers would speed in. The wingers have the option of a shoot, dump & chase, pass back to McC for the blast or circle & wait for the big man to set up the screen. He's actually really well built for the 3rd line role this season, especially for the MT system. Think Tim Kerr.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The one thing MT doesn't understand is leaving players together for more than 5 games....even if they have a rough patch so they can build some chemistry together. McCarron was thrown in with different linemates every game.

Watch some highlights of him with Domi on London. McCarron would come in as the trailer while his wingers would speed in. The wingers have the option of a shoot, dump & chase, pass back to McC for the blast or circle & wait for the big man to set up the screen. He's actually really well built for the 3rd line role this season, especially for the MT system. Think Tim Kerr.

Man Tim Kerr was a savage!

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Yep.

Carr is the goal scorer and you have the size of Big Mac with the tenacity of Shaw and this would be a really really great line for the Habs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad