Trade: [MIA/NYY] Stanton + $30m for Castro, Guzman, Devers

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Guzman is good, but he isn't one of the top Yankees guys. Devers, literally first time I've heard of him. He's a long ways away.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
How did baseball OK an ownership group buying one of it's teams when the first thing said group has to do is gut the team of all major league talent because they can't afford the wage bill? It's bad enough that the Wilponzis were allowed to keep control of the Mets but this is even worse.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
this is literally most nonsense move all the time. i don't get it... top 10 player in the entire league for this? lol. 10 years ago they give away miggy, now stanton.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
this is literally most nonsense move all the time. i don't get it... top 10 player in the entire league for this? lol. 10 years ago they give away miggy, now stanton.

This isn’t quite the same though...at least with Miggy they got two of the game’s top prospects at the time in Miller and Maybin, they just didn’t live up to the hype. Granted Cabrera was also still arbitration eligible at the time so he wasn’t making much so he had that extra value attached to him.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Everyone said that about the Marlins-Jays deal and it turned out to be a wash at best. Let's give it time for Guzman/Devers + Castro return. Plus taking on Stanton's contract is one of the biggest risks to take in professional sports.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I’m just baffled why a guy from California wouldn’t want to go to California, especially a team that’s shown you they know how to win as of late and why the hell didn't LA try to get him? Or did they briefly? I forget

He wanted to go to LA but they probably didnt want to take on as much salary as the Yankees did.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
People will forever say that Jeter gift-wrapped Stanton for his beloved Yankees. The fact that it's a new ownership group and they're already giving away a superstar essentially for scraps and a load of cash...well it basically doesn't bode well for the Marlins as a franchise. It's kind of a shame that they even bothered with the new stadium given that relocation would at this point be a gesture of kindness for the fans of Miami.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
People will forever say that Jeter gift-wrapped Stanton for his beloved Yankees. The fact that it's a new ownership group and they're already giving away a superstar essentially for scraps and a load of cash...well it basically doesn't bode well for the Marlins as a franchise. It's kind of a shame that they even bothered with the new stadium given that relocation would at this point be a gesture of kindness for the fans of Miami.
it was an out-and-out swindling by Loria and the government fell for it. That's what the Marlins have always been. Disgusting franchise.

Reactions: Extra Texture

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

When you are looking to give away a guy for nothing more than salary relief....it’s no surprise NY is the landing spot.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I guess they won't have money to sign CC now?

Probably not, but I doubt he would get much even coming off of a good season give his age/physique...might be able to do a one year deal with a decent AAV kind of like they did with Holiday this past year.

But they do have Gray for a full year and Tanaka/Severino/Gray is a solid 1-3. Gotta think they will make a move for a SP though.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I’m just baffled why a guy from California wouldn’t want to go to California, especially a team that’s shown you they know how to win as of late and why the hell didn't LA try to get him? Or did they briefly? I forget

Yeah, that's the part I don't understand either. Not wanting to go to the midwest, I get. But maybe Stanton just really hated the Giants because of his growing up a Dodger.

except jerry west wasn't the grizzlies GM when that trade was made. chris wallace was

True enough, but wasn't he still president of operations or something? I just remember at the time being suspicious as hell of that trade as "This? This is the best offer for this top player in his prime?"

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
When you are looking to give away a guy for nothing more than salary relief....it’s no surprise NY is the landing spot.

In recent years the Dodgers probably were the main team buying up expensive contracts left and right. Cashman is smart though because Stanton is much better than anything the Dodgers acquired in those deals.

That said, my main criticism here goes to the new Marlins owners. It's one thing to trade away Stanton to acquire talent that allows you to compete 2-3 years down the line, it's another to get rid of him just to save some cash. If that's your first big move as a new owner the question of why you purchased a team in the first place is justified.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i get that the return was pretty much nothing because of how much salary the yankees agreed to take on but still, that is a laughable return for a guy who almost hit 60 HR's

reminds me of the mark mcgwire trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad