Trade: [MIA/NYY] Stanton + $30m for Castro, Guzman, Devers

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
it was an out-and-out swindling by Loria and the government fell for it. That's what the Marlins have always been. Disgusting franchise.

3UtNDzIpfXPHq0ZkNSe0YFlcMKo=.gif

Sums up my feelings about the Marlins, or more accurately their fans. At this point, I'd have to think the franchise is permanently tainted, those dirty Loria years notwithstanding. The first thing a new ownership group does, after years of a tightwad conman owner fielding a crappy team in an empty ballpark (paid for out of their tax dollars) is signal more cost cutting and another rebuild. Sending away the only shining light on the team for scraps? Jesus christ. For the Marlins fans out there (I know, i know, "all 13 of them") I really do feel awful. And its not easy to have sympathy when you follow the Mariners.

Its shocking to think they have two world series titles in 25 years, they've had oodles of talent, and yet they're a lost franchise. Huizenga, Loria, Sampson. Good lord. I just wish they would relocate and end this nightmare but no way is that happening now.

Sep 19, 2008
I own about 5 wearable jerseys. 2 of them are baseball. 2 of them are hockey. One is a cheap jersey given away at the DC United game.

None of them have names on the back,or anything at all. They're all blank.

If Giancarlo Stanton comes to New York this offseason the first thing I will do is order a replica (none of that fake Chinese stuff) jersey from MLBShop with the Giancarlo number. First thing. If they have names on the back like they do at the Yankee team store I would accept that too. I will dish out 200+ of my own money for this to happen.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I own about 5 wearable jerseys. 2 of them are baseball. 2 of them are hockey. One is a cheap jersey given away at the DC United game.

If Giancarlo Stanton comes to New York this offseason the first thing I will do is order a replica (none of that fake Chinese stuff) jersey from MLBShop with the Giancarlo number. First thing. If they have names on the back like they do at the Yankee team store I would accept that too. I will dish out 200+ of my own money for this to happen.
Okay?

Sep 19, 2008

I'm at the site right now ordering a replica. I still need to know his number though. But it just feels wrong to wear a guy's name on a jersey. I have 2 Caps jerseys, one home and one away. The back is blank.

I could easily get Oshie or Ovechkin on the back but who knows these days if it's worth it!!

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Player works his ass off to be good enough to warrant a NTC, then people get mad when he uses it. If he didn't want to play in St Louis/San Fran, why on earth would he waive his NTC?

People can have opinions. And that's mine. So. Someone asked. I answered. I would have told him either stay or go to one of those two teams. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Cody Webster

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
He earned that NTC. - I would direct blame at the Marlins owners for gifting him that horrendous contract.

It is pretty funny seeing a post like this considering you're a Phillies fan. Remember they signed Cliff Lee on a sweetheart deal in additon to already having a rotation with Halladay, Hamels and Oswalt?

It doesn't matter. I would have kept him or said SF or StL.

Signings and trades are different. He was traded for trash, being top 5 and traded for crap. Whhoohoo.

This is exactly why I haven't been a fan consistently. Shit trades for studs. It's terrible. I will not be shelling out money and I will not be watching consistently again.

I didn't like losing lee to begin with, and was even more baffled he came back. But again; it was a signing.

Reactions: Cody Webster

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
How did baseball OK an ownership group buying one of it's teams when the first thing said group has to do is gut the team of all major league talent because they can't afford the wage bill? It's bad enough that the Wilponzis were allowed to keep control of the Mets but this is even worse.

So much this.....Screw Manfred. We had a local guy, Jorge Mas, who desperately wanted to buy the team & would have been committed to putting a quality product on the field, but Loria wanted to sell to his BFF Jeter & some hedge fund guy. Truly disgusting that a commissioner would allow this to happen.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It doesn't matter. I would have kept him or said SF or StL.

Signings and trades are different. He was traded for trash, being top 5 and traded for crap. Whhoohoo.

This is exactly why I haven't been a fan consistently. **** trades for studs. It's terrible. I will not be shelling out money and I will not be watching consistently again.

I didn't like losing lee to begin with, and was even more baffled he came back. But again; it was a signing.
It was gonna be inevitable either way. Stanton this year or Harper next year. That's simply how the Evil Empire rolls.

And MLB has 5 different winners in 5 years. Yankees and Dodgers not even being one of them. If anything, NFL/NBA/NHL can learn from the parity in baseball. Everyone knows the Patriots/Warriors/Penguins are winning titles in pre-season.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Basically if the middle of that order doesn’t get hurt I see no way they aren’t in the World Series at least 4 or 5 of the next 7 years. There is no way you can over the course of a 5 or 7 game series completely shut a lineup like that down. You really don’t even need decent pitching

HugoLalumiere

May 20, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
So much this.....Screw Manfred. We had a local guy, Jorge Mas, who desperately wanted to buy the team & would have been committed to putting a quality product on the field, but Loria wanted to sell to his BFF Jeter & some hedge fund guy. Truly disgusting that a commissioner would allow this to happen.

The commish is a puppet and an enabler for the big markets to cannibalize the rest of the league. MLB has basically nothing more than a big middle finger for small market fans. KC's probably going to lose both Hosmer and Moustakas although they might manage to keep one. I would be astounded if they re-signed both for more than one year. And we all have a fair idea of where those players would end up, they'd go to the usual suspects. MLB is just a sad state of affairs, all in all. The way it's run is questionable on a FIFA level.

I was an Expos fan, I was there for the great 90's years and I still wouldn't care for them to come back. Unless things change, a return to MTL would be pointless. We could not keep up in a million years. They're basically dominating their division year after year now that they're in D.C.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Miami got a good player in Castro, but too bad he's going to flipped. Looks like the Mets have contacted the Marlins already about him. Now that Ohtani and Stanton have been moved, I expect that there's going to be lots of movement soon. Very interested to see if the Blue Jays go into full rebuild and move Donaldson, Pillar and possibly Smoak.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Crap return and joke of an organization in Miami

Frankly at this point fans should stay away and rest of the roster should demand trades at this point

Jeter and owners have been a disgrace thus far and this deal is a gift for Yanks

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Basically if the middle of that order doesn’t get hurt I see no way they aren’t in the World Series at least 4 or 5 of the next 7 years. There is no way you can over the course of a 5 or 7 game series completely shut a lineup like that down. You really don’t even need decent pitching

Yeah that's not how it works.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Everything about this is a joke.

NHL: "No major sport can look more like a bush league than us."
MLB: "Hold my beer"

MLB dicking over a local potential buyer so they could install Jeter and his clown posse to do this is a travesty.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Everything about this is a joke.

NHL: "No major sport can look more like a bush league than us."
MLB: "Hold my beer"

MLB dicking over a local potential buyer so they could install Jeter and his clown posse to do this is a travesty.

As if the local buyer wouldn't do a massive firesale.

Reactions: Voight

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Such a great story.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
As if the local buyer wouldn't do a massive firesale.
Maybe another owner could have secured a better return than the alpo and shit sandwich they got in return.

Scratch that, any other ownership group would have had a great chance of getting a better return if by accident alone.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Sure worked out well for the Nationals right?

They had a Turner, Zimmerman, rendon, Harper and Murphy offense and it did nothing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->