Trade: [MIA/NYY] Stanton + $30m for Castro, Guzman, Devers

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
And another year where I don't watch the Marlins looks like it's coming to fruition.

Maybe those guys coming back bloom into something, but this has been going on for far too long to not get those vibes of ownership being too cheap to compete

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
Exactly.

No such things as guarantees in baseball. Yankees aren't even a lock to make postseason next year. There are fair few questions about that rotation.

The rotation is fine. You have Cy Young Finalist Severino, a solid tanaka and gray and then montgomery and presumably Sabbathia to close out the rotation.

I don't see any problems with the rotation other than maybe Sabbathia finally falling off a cliff and it's not that hard to replace a #5 guy

Is the playoffs a lock? No. But I'd be absolutely mind blown if they don't make it. The entire lineup can hit and hit with power and the rotation is pretty good itself. Along with having one of the best bullpens in baseball.

Reactions: Voight

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida

I think everyone should calm down a bit on how the Marlins got 'fleeced'.

what's that? the team that just gave away one of the best players in team history is trying to upsell the return it got?

Fishing For Marlin Fans

this article will be 20 years old in spring training. you could swap names out (and even leave in the hokey jokes that reilly is famous for! hi-yo!) print it and it wouldn't look out of place.

what a f***ing disaster, man.

Reactions: Virtanen18

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
what's that? the team that just gave away one of the best players in team history is trying to upsell the return it got?

Fishing For Marlin Fans

this article will be 20 years old in spring training. you could swap names out (and even leave in the hokey jokes that reilly is famous for! hi-yo!) print it and it wouldn't look out of place.

what a ****ing disaster, man.
That 1998 firesale sort of helped build the 2003 WS team.

They directly got Derek Lee and AJ Burnett. While, Wilson and Ozuna were traded for Juan Pierre. Ed Yarnall who they got in the famous Piazza traded was traded straight up for Mike Lowell.

The Stanton trade may look bad, but Gary Denbo's worked with the Yankees and built a top tier farm system from scratch. He also orchestrated for Guzman in the McCann deal, and now acquired him in the Stanton trade.

Reactions: Virtanen18

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The rotation is fine. You have Cy Young Finalist Severino, a solid tanaka and gray and then montgomery and presumably Sabbathia to close out the rotation.

I don't see any problems with the rotation other than maybe Sabbathia finally falling off a cliff and it's not that hard to replace a #5 guy

Is the playoffs a lock? No. But I'd be absolutely mind blown if they don't make it. The entire lineup can hit and hit with power and the rotation is pretty good itself. Along with having one of the best bullpens in baseball.

Tanaka's elbow is a ticking time bomb. Severino throws tons of sliders, i worry about his health long term.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
So much this.....Screw Manfred. We had a local guy, Jorge Mas, who desperately wanted to buy the team & would have been committed to putting a quality product on the field, but Loria wanted to sell to his BFF Jeter & some hedge fund guy. Truly disgusting that a commissioner would allow this to happen.
Yeah, again, I think this is some more Loria stuff. His Yankees schtick, his fixation on that has screwed the Marlins over his entire time of owning the team. And now, even after he left. He was one of if not the worst thing to happen to South Florida sports.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Almost like what they did with Chapman. Get him for cheap, flip him for a better return.

They can't just trade him at will for a better package. He'll still have the no trade clause and even less potential destinations. Not seeing how the Yankees would be able to leverage that into a great return.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
stanton wants to play for the dodgers though.

The Dodgers could just say “we won’t trade for him unless it’s on our terms since we could just go bid on the younger, better Harper without giving up assets instead.” Presumably, the Yankees would have a difficult time getting in on the Harper bidding if they still have Stanton’s contract on the books.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The Dodgers could just say “we won’t trade for him unless it’s on our terms since we could just go bid on the younger, better Harper without giving up assets instead.” Presumably, the Yankees would have a difficult time getting in on the Harper bidding if they still have Stanton’s contract on the books.

Bingo

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Stanton has one of the worst contracts in NA's top leagues.

The money is fair for a player of his calibre. Its lengthy but it wont bring him into his 40's or anything stupid like that.

I dunno, if Harper wants to play for them I have 0 doubt Big Hal will write the 400 million dollar cheque.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
The money is fair for a player of his calibre. Its lengthy but it wont bring him into his 40's or anything stupid like that.

I dunno, if Harper wants to play for them I have 0 doubt Big Hal will write the 400 million dollar cheque.

Sure, maybe in a vacuum. Doesn’t mean the Dodgers will do the Yankees a solid out of the good graces of their hearts by taking Stanton’s contract.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
They can strike out all they want but Stanton/Judge will still hit 50+ home runs each.

I wouldn’t bet on Judge hitting 50 homeruns. He’s already a 200 strikeout hitter and lots of times these type of players have big downseasons the next year. He might be the glass half full version of power hitting strikeout types but he has a lot to prove. The Yankees do in general, and the pressure being put on them is immense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad