Votes: 112 40.6%
  • Nico Hischier

Votes: 164 59.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Hischier's not even in Marner's tier. Marner has 90-100 point potential whereas Hischier has about 60-70 point potential (AKA what Marner did in his rookie year)

Damn I just went back to read and got a good laugh.

Thanks for posting this - I now know not to take your posts seriously ever again.

You literally would need to never watch Hischier play to come to the conclusion that Hischier is not even in the same tier.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
It's Mitch Marner, but I am not shocked he is losing this poll because most people voting don't realize Marner plays with Matt Martin and that is almost entirely the reason he has struggled, before he got put with Martin he had 4 points in 5 games

since he got put with Matt Martin nothing, Gee I wonder why

Matt Martin is the reason why

Stop making excuses. Marner doesn't need them. The reason he was playing with martn was because Mitch was playing awful hockey.

Reactions: Hokinaittii

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
here is what I know 1 point is the difference between them and Nico never had to Carry Matt Martin, I actually like Martin but putting him with Marner doesn't help Marner

Marner, plain and simple, just wasn't playing well for a long stretch of games.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
It's Mitch Marner, but I am not shocked he is losing this poll because most people voting don't realize Marner plays with Matt Martin and that is almost entirely the reason he has struggled, before he got put with Martin he had 4 points in 5 games

since he got put with Matt Martin nothing, Gee I wonder why

Matt Martin is the reason why

You really gotta question Babcock for letting Matt Martin convince him to drop Marner down in the lineup.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Yeah you really must be watching different games than I am...I think Hischier is better now and going forward.

But even ignoring the eye test, Nico has 14 points in 18 games in his D+1...while Marner wasn't in the NHL at the time. This isn't a knock on Marner, but Nico Hischier has to be one of the most underrated first overall picks in recent memory.

Does anybody else, other than LEAFANFORLIFE23, actually think Marner is going to end up better than Hischier?

I am going to hazard a guess: every Maple Leafs fan. Heck, throw a Leafs jersey over a rock and they'd vote that too.

Nico up to 15 points in 19 games, a pace of 65 points. Tonight, even if the Devils got shellacked by the Jets 5-2, Nico lead his team with 7 shots (his 7th shot, a tip, stopped dead on the goal line, allowing Will Butcher the easy tap-in for his 1st ever NHL goal). All this while sporting his usual excellent 200 ft game.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
here is what I know 1 point is the difference between them and Nico never had to Carry Matt Martin, I actually like Martin but putting him with Marner doesn't help Marner

Ppg: Hischier 0.79... Marner 0.65. Then watch Hischier play from time to time... Looks like a 10 year veteran out there. Complete 200 ft game at age 18, with barely over a season of experience on smaller ice.

If Marner got demoted for a bunch of games, it must because he was too good, right? :D

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ppg: Hischier 0.79... Marner 0.65. Then watch Hischier play from time to time... Looks like a 10 year veteran out there. Complete 200 ft game at age 18, with barely over a season of experience on smaller ice.

If Marner got demoted for a bunch of games, it must because he was too good, right? :D

Well you should know how good Marner is, he and JVR beat your Bruins twice, pretty much by themselves

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Extremely close, give me Nico only because of the C factor.

Could go either way in the future. I think Marner's playmaking/vision is better than any single skill Nico has though.

They are both excellent skaters. I have a hard time seeing either of them not become very good players in this league- they both already are, but they both have another few levels they may reach.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Some teams have to EARN their 1st OA picks, some get gifted them courtesy of Edmonton. I'd like to see Hischier get close to 65 points first before this conversation starts

Actually we can start now since they both have the same point total and one guy is almost 2 yrs younger

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Voted Marner. If Hischier puts up over 60 points this season, I’ll change my vote to him since he would of done it in the year he was drafted.

Reactions: Kelly

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017

We get it, you're from Switzerland and you're infatuated with a Swiss hockey player.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Hischier is clearly the better two-way player and I dont feel Marner is that much better offensively, if at all.

Id take Hischier for that reason

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
We get it, you're from Switzerland and you're infatuated with a Swiss hockey player.
I am infatuated with facts. Here's a fun one: in 2017-18 Nico Hischier... Age: 18... 19 games, 15 points, -2, 16:09 TOI. In 2016-17, Auston Matthews... Age: 19... 19 games, 13 points, -4, 17:28 TOI.
Matthews? Major talent & superstar from minute 1. Hischier? Meh.
Never change, Toronto fans, never change. :D

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think I commented when this thread first came into existence.

I'll comment again:

Give me Nico Hischier all day.
The guy is a wizard and plays a complete game at this tender age.
The poll question is who is better Offensively. Hard not to take Marner if following the criteria of the poll.
Over all play is a lot closer, would depend on the need of the Team and currently it seems like both Teams have the right guy.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Marner will finish this season with ~70 points. Hischier will finish with ~55 points.
I would take that action for Hischier. Age 18, barely one season on smaller NA ice, and before the season began everyone was saying 30-40 points would be a good year. Now folks are talking 55? Sounds good to me.
At the same age, Marner was still in junior, Matthews was in Switzerland ... and instead Hischier plays 1C for the Devils, 3rd in the East. I think it's an unadulterated, unabashed SUCCESS for Hischier so far.

Reactions: vtdevils2k
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad