• Nico Hischier

Votes: 164 59.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Hischier for the better career pretty easily for me. Offensively only it's closer and could well be Marner.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I'll take a flier on Nico Hischier. He's got a few inherent advantages. Bigger, starting younger, and he's a center. He'd be the guy that could help the Habs more.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Some teams have to EARN their 1st OA picks, some get gifted them courtesy of Edmonton. I'd like to see Hischier get close to 65 points first before this conversation starts

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Some teams have to EARN their 1st OA picks, some get gifted them courtesy of Edmonton. I'd like to see Hischier get close to 65 points first before this conversation starts
How do you "earn" a 1st overall pick?? By fighting to be a terrible team?...Also, how many times does it need to be said that the Oilers didn't tank on purpose. They just had terrible management.

Reactions: ECBBW

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'm gonna go with Hischier just because I trust his instincts more. He doesn't have Marner's creativity (few do) but he's still pretty damn creative, obviously has a better shot, and just doesn't have that issue of overcomplicating it the way Marner does. Marner probably has the puck on his stuck for much more of the game but seems to do less with it and this included last year before his injury.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
People saying convenient time with Marner demoted to fourth line.

Yet you make Matthews vs
Mcdavid threads when Matthews had excelled in 6 games and Connor had only played four during a bad stretch without setting the world on fire.

It goes both ways.

Reactions: tacogeoff

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Mitch has had a rough start to the season but his potential is scary high. I honestly think he just needs to slightly make some adjustments such as making more simplistic plays and packing on a little bit muscle. He had over 60 points as a rookie last season and is gonna be a beast.

I watched a lot of Nico in HFX. I'll say this. He looks better so far than I thought he'd start off.

This depends on positional need mostly imo. I think Marner is the more dynamic player though.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I'll take a flier on Nico Hischier. He's got a few inherent advantages. Bigger, starting younger, and he's a center. He'd be the guy that could help the Habs more.
+ his 200 ft game. When Hischier fills in his frame with another 25-30 lbs of muscles (from 175 to 200-205), has some experience, watch out for him.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Like that's a good indicator, who will all the Leafs fans vote for, I wonder?
My point was there was a 3 page discussion on this already. :laugh:

You have to go with Marner right now since he's proven, but I think Hischier in the future because he's a center and pretty good. Not sure he has the point potential Marner does, but he has a decent chance of being a better player.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I am a Devils fan. I have watched some of the better defensive forwards play in the last twenty years. Right now, I am completely comfortable saying that Hischier's defensive game surpasses Marner and every forward on the NJ roster not named Zajac or Zacha.

Points-wise, I have no idea what the ceiling is for both players. Marner is an absolutely wizard with the puck so I'm not mad at anyone giving him the offensive edge.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Marner right now for sure but maybe we can let Nico play oh I don't know. ......1 season :laugh: to get a read on where he is as a player in the nhl.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Marner wasn't even in the NHL at 18. Hischier probably puts up ~60 points in a season Marner would be in the OHL

Way too early to say Hischier will put up 60 points this year. Marner was 150 pounds soaking wet at 18.

+ his 200 ft game. When Hischier fills in his frame with another 25-30 lbs of muscles (from 175 to 200-205), has some experience, watch out for him.

Do you really see Hischier getting to 200 pounds? Cmon now. That's just not happening.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Way too early to say Hischier will put up 60 points this year. Marner was 150 pounds soaking wet at 18.

Do you really see Hischier getting to 200 pounds? Cmon now. That's just not happening.

Come on what?
1. Pretty much the vast majority of teenage NHL players put on muscle weight, why shouldn't Hischier (everyone, including himself, have said that he should put on more muscle)? Especially considering that 2. he is a sack of bones on skates and 3. the average height + weight of an NHL player in 2015 was 6"1.1 ((Hischier is 6"1.5) and 201.2 lbs (Hischier is 175).

I mean, he wants to put on more muscles, professional folks in the league say he should, he is extremely skinny (have you seen pictures of him during the summer? He looked like he needs a cheeseburger every 5 minutes not to faint), players his height are on average around 200 lbs... Why would you think that he should be 25-30 lbs below anyone else (of his same height)?

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Come on what?
1. Pretty much the vast majority of teenage NHL players put on muscle weight, why shouldn't Hischier (everyone, including himself, have said that he should put on more muscle)? Especially considering that 2. he is a sack of bones on skates and 3. the average height + weight of an NHL player in 2015 was 6"1.1 ((Hischier is 6"1.5) and 201.2 lbs (Hischier is 175).

I mean, he wants to put on more muscles, professional folks in the league say he should, he is extremely skinny (have you seen pictures of him during the summer? He looked like he needs a cheeseburger every 5 minutes not to faint), players his height are on average around 200 lbs... Why would you think that he should be 25-30 lbs below anyone else (of his same height)?

Not everyone puts on the weight. And not everyone can play at higher weights. Marner is an example of this. He tried bulking up in his first training camp and felt too slow and couldn't play his game. Nico is a slim build and will likely end up in the 180-190 range. Also using average NHL weight is pretty dumb as it includes all the massive plugs. Would be better to use average top six forwards weights, prob a lot lower.

He was selected after Strome.

Yes and many people believed he was better than Strome. Strome/Marner was considered one of the best 3/4s in a draft in a long while. They just got overshadowed by McDavid/Eichel. Obviously Strome appears to have been a bad pick but at the time he was looking like a massive scoring center.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Not everyone puts on the weight. And not everyone can play at higher weights. Marner is an example of this. He tried bulking up in his first training camp and felt too slow and couldn't play his game. Nico is a slim build and will likely end up in the 180-190 range. Also using average NHL weight is pretty dumb as it includes all the massive plugs. Would be better to use average top six forwards weights, prob a lot lower.

What is "dumb" is saying that the "top six forward weight is probably a lot lower" without actually bringing anything that supports that.
Furthermore, it's not that smart either disregarding the fact that Nico and pretty much all who chimed in from the world of pro hockey have said that he should / will bulk up as time goes on. I guess they're all wrong, but you are right. /sarcasm

EDIT: I checked the weight of the top 20 in points as we speak. Here's all those 6"1 to 6"2, like Hischier (6"1.5). Stamkos, 6"1 194... Backstrom 6"1 210... Kuznetsov 6"2 204... Forsberg 6"1 205... E Kane 6"2 212... Eichel 6"2 206... Mike Green 6"1 207... Voracek 6"2 214...
Yeah, "a lot lower"...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad