Votes: 164 59.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Not everyone puts on the weight. And not everyone can play at higher weights. Marner is an example of this. He tried bulking up in his first training camp and felt too slow and couldn't play his game. Nico is a slim build and will likely end up in the 180-190 range. Also using average NHL weight is pretty dumb as it includes all the massive plugs. Would be better to use average top six forwards weights, prob a lot lower.

Yes and many people believed he was better than Strome. Strome/Marner was considered one of the best 3/4s in a draft in a long while. They just got overshadowed by McDavid/Eichel. Obviously Strome appears to have been a bad pick but at the time he was looking like a massive scoring center.
I have to vehemently disagree here. None of us stay at the weight we are when we are 18, that's just not how aging works. That in itself will push him up at least 10 lbs. Add in the fact that he has nutritionists and world class exercise facilities make me think it's likely he'll be closer to 200 lbs when all is said and done than not.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Realistically, NH should be better, offensively and overall. He was a first overall selection and so far it looks like he's justifying his draft position.

I expect Marner will outproduce in some seasons, however. I'm sure he'll turn his play around. He's excellent at firing passes across the ice on the PP and is one of the craftier forwards in the League when he's on his game.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Hischier's not even in Marner's tier. Marner has 90-100 point potential whereas Hischier has about 60-70 point potential (AKA what Marner did in his rookie year)

Hischier broke into the league a year earlier than Marner and is tearing it up.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You don't watch Leafs games and shouldn't even try to pretend that you do. He's had a rough start, but AHL bound after 8 games when he was great for the whole season last year is just an absurd comment.
Sorry but Leafs are actually my MOST watched team.

If you don't think Marner's been terrible I don't know what YOU have been watching.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

If you don't think Marner's been terrible I don't know what YOU have been watching.
You don't watch Leafs games and shouldn't even try to pretend that you do. He's had a rough start, but AHL bound after 8 games when he was great for the whole season last year is just an absurd comment.

I said he was not having a good start, but a rough start isn't enough to claim he's AHL bound. He was awesome last year and is having some rotten puck luck to start this season on the defensive end (sub 0.77 OISV% LMFAO). He's also known to be a slow starter and has been better his last few games.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I said he was not having a good start, but a rough start isn't enough to claim he's AHL bound. He was awesome last year and is having some rotten puck luck to start this season on the defensive end (sub 0.77 OISV% LMFAO). He's also known to be a slow starter and has been better his last few games.

The AHL comment was probably hyperbole dude.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The AHL comment was probably hyperbole dude.
It was a figure of speech standing for "he's played poorly", I guess that counts as hyperbole. No, I don't think he'll be sent to AHL. Yes, I think he's been bad both offensively and defensively in the games I've seen(I prioritize Leafs over every other team when I happen to be awake)

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Full disclosure, there's some obvious bias here and I haven't seen Marner as much but this is my opinion.

I think even if Marner puts up more points, you have to go with Hischier. The latter is the bigger guy, a natural center, and probably the better defensive player. They are both playmakers, they'll both probably put up a lot of points, but eventually I think you'll get to see Hischier in the Toews/Bergeron like roles where he's playing against other team's top lines to shut them down as well as produce offense and that will probably not be Marner.
I don't think Hischier will ever be like Toews/Bergeron. He was average defensively in junior, let alone in the show. He is an offensive talent, isn't really fair to slap a Selke-level center tag on him because you feel like it.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Hischier. I don't know what happened to Marner over the summer but all he can do this year is fall down 3 times a game.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I don't think Hischier will ever be like Toews/Bergeron. He was average defensively in junior, let alone in the show. He is an offensive talent, isn't really fair to slap a Selke-level center tag on him because you feel like it.
You're totally wrong. He's already the best defensive forward on the Devils outside of Zajac. You probably thought that because Halifax was so bad, but there was a huge drop off in results when Hischier was off the ice than when he was on.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Terrible? I mean if you expect him to be a top 10 players like Matthews I agree. However he was offensively fine. His compete and defensive game was not there, and he is on the 4th line and thus has gone pointless for a few games.

Leafs are a good team and the best will play up the lineup. Marner bulked up and it has obviously affected his mobility. He is obviously battling confidence issues after he got hurt (Babs said that last year as to why he was poor in the playoffs.. He lost confidence after his injury).

He's going to reset, and will get back into the top 6 and start putting up points again. BTW, for him being AHL bound, the other day his line was 75% in possession and he was the reason for that...

Show me a player who can go PPG with Martin and Fehr/Moore as their linemates. Can't dump on Martin and then ignore him when it's convenient.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Hischier easily, because potential 1C's are far more valuable than wingers. wingers are the easiest position to fill.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

"Great" post.

Judgement based on ONE year, while playing for a team (16-17 Halifax) that was so bad they were on a pace of 72 points over 82 games and that finished with a goal differential of -30.
And on a team that was close to bottom & with a minus 30 goals differential, he ended up PLUS 20 +/-, leading his team & with the next best forward at ZERO in the same exercise.

In these 8 games in the NHL, he is already playing D better than any rookie forward I have ever seen. If he can already play two way hockey like this NOW, I think that he has the potential to be a Selke winner in the future.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Right now I'd go with Nico. I'm not as high on Marner's game as most of HF. I see him as a second tier forward at his peak.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's Mitch Marner, but I am not shocked he is losing this poll because most people voting don't realize Marner plays with Matt Martin and that is almost entirely the reason he has struggled, before he got put with Martin he had 4 points in 5 games

since he got put with Matt Martin nothing, Gee I wonder why

Matt Martin is the reason why

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
It's Mitch Marner, but I am not shocked he is losing this poll because most people voting don't realize Marner plays with Matt Martin and that is almost entirely the reason he has struggled, before he got put with Martin he had 4 points in 5 games

since he got put with Matt Martin nothing, Gee I wonder why

Matt Martin is the reason why

It's Hischier.

You guys underrated him.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
It's Marner until proven otherwise and Nico hasn't proven a thing yet

Yeah you really must be watching different games than I am...I think Hischier is better now and going forward.

But even ignoring the eye test, Nico has 14 points in 18 games in his D+1...while Marner wasn't in the NHL at the time. This isn't a knock on Marner, but Nico Hischier has to be one of the most underrated first overall picks in recent memory.

Does anybody else, other than LEAFANFORLIFE23, actually think Marner is going to end up better than Hischier?

Reactions: Missionhockey

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah you really must be watching different games than I am...I think Hischier is better now and going forward.

But even ignoring the eye test, Nico has 14 points in 18 games in his D+1...while Marner wasn't in the NHL at the time. This isn't a knock on Marner, but Nico Hischier has to be one of the most underrated first overall picks in recent memory.

Does anybody else, other than LEAFANFORLIFE23, actually think Marner is going to end up better than Hischier?

here is what I know 1 point is the difference between them and Nico never had to Carry Matt Martin, I actually like Martin but putting him with Marner doesn't help Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad