Votes: 112 40.6%
  • Nico Hischier

Votes: 164 59.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I would like some opinions on who you believe will become the more offensive player between Marner and Hischier. Both seem to be wizards with the puck.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Convenient timing with Marner demoted to the 4th line and Hischier putting up 4 pts in his last 2 games....

I'd still take Marner though. 65pts in his first 82 NHL games, 0 of which were lined up alongside Matthews or Kadri

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That's the kind of player I expected Hischier to be when drafted, at that Marner, Keller type and level of prospect. Hischier is breaking into the league a year earlier than Marner and Keller did so there won't be an exact comparison of their rookie years or draft+2 years. Marner is more proven but this could just as easily flip to Hischier as time passes.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Convenient timing with Marner demoted to the 4th line and Hischier putting up 4 pts in his last 2 games....

I'd still take Marner though. 65pts in his first 82 NHL games, 0 of which were lined up alongside Matthews or Kadri

But Marner was lined up with JVR and Bozak, proven 50-60+ point players.

I'll take Hischier for his position and 2 way game, but perhaps I'm biased. Wouldn't be shocked to see Marner end up the more productive player.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Nico, just because he is a centre. Also a better 200ft player and probably will bring the same amount of offense as Marner.

member 290103

Marner. Every day of the week. He's a Leaf, after all. Nuff said.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Hischier's not even in Marner's tier. Marner has 90-100 point potential whereas Hischier has about 60-70 point potential (AKA what Marner did in his rookie year)

Reactions: one77

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
It's definitely not 'easily' Hischier. If Marner wasn't in such a stacked draft he would have 'easily' gone up against Hischier for 1st overall.

Marner wasn't even in the NHL at 18. Hischier probably puts up ~60 points in a season Marner would be in the OHL

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Impossible to answer without knowing Marner's future C. If he plays most of his career with Matthews I think he has the edge. Both are great talents. What if NJ drafts a soul mate RW for Hischier and he plays his whole career with him and Hall? Might be him.

Pretty much any other answer is just nonsense.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
But Marner was lined up with JVR and Bozak, proven 50-60+ point players.

I'll take Hischier for his position and 2 way game, but perhaps I'm biased. Wouldn't be shocked to see Marner end up the more productive player.

This is probably a point of contention- but JVR and Bozak produce offensively but don't fit well with Marner at all. I wouldn't go as far to say it's a handicap but Marner would probably have better chemistry with other players in our system, perhaps even stashed prospects. They play such a lax, low-compete, game where they often, don't have the puck at ES.....and they already get easy usage + primetime PP usage.

Marner would be better off driving a line of more competitive, 2-way players....and a gunner/shooter on his line- which JVR, Bozak aren't. You can't do much when you don't have the puck and Marner isn't strong enough right now to win pucks and generate sustained O-zone pressure on his own right now with his frame. Also, JVR's transition game has seriously declined....Bozak's presence up the middle is negligible most nights, IMO.

I would say it's similar to McDavid and Maroon/Draisaitl....where the latter two are just driving zone-time and possession for him.

Tough to vote though, I think Nico has looked amazing so far...Marner has that game-breaking elite play-making/vision that not much players posses. He just needs to fill out his frame and continue to grow with his game as opponents are game-planning him and the Leafs more now. Small bump in the roads are going to happen.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Full disclosure, there's some obvious bias here and I haven't seen Marner as much but this is my opinion.

I think even if Marner puts up more points, you have to go with Hischier. The latter is the bigger guy, a natural center, and probably the better defensive player. They are both playmakers, they'll both probably put up a lot of points, but eventually I think you'll get to see Hischier in the Toews/Bergeron like roles where he's playing against other team's top lines to shut them down as well as produce offense and that will probably not be Marner.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
these threads lol. honestly, who knows. still Way too early to tell. Give it 3 years. Marner is no slouch when it comes to offense. 80-90 points is very possible for marner in his prime. I do t see that level of offensive production with hischier, but he does have the size advantage and the more coveted position. 2 very different players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->