• Should be to be fired

• Be patient

• Keep him is doing a good job

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
And the guy who endorsed Therrien and went to war with him, he's being allowed to keep showering this franchise with his pearls of wisdom.

This is the price u pay when you have archaic hiring practices...Therrien was a product of the french policy.

How the hell did a guy who was out of the league for 4 years get rehired?

We all know the answer..

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Therrien was not the best francophone available.
Still can't figure how Burningbin skipped over Robinson. That is fire able right there. Its rare to have a great player go on to be a great coach. Yet somehow mediocre JJD Dman becomes and even worse D coach. Staggeringly bad results.

"So sorry about dat personal issue you have Larry, I certainly can't wait around for you more than a day. I guess my childhood friend gets the job because 'merit'???"

Oshawa General

Jul 18, 2005
Still can't figure how Burningbin skipped over Robinson. That is fire able right there. Its rare to have a great player go on to be a great coach. Yet somehow mediocre JJD Dman becomes and even worse D coach. Staggeringly bad results.

"So sorry about dat personal issue you have Larry, I certainly can't wait around for you more than a day. I guess my childhood friend gets the job because 'merit'???"

From what I heard, Michel Therrien was to interview Larry Robinson, but their schedules couldn't match up.
Now, picture this scenario, Michel Therrien, had to interview, (yes interview), hall of fame hockey player Larry Robinson, Stanley Cup winning coach, Larry Robinson, to see if he's qualified to be on his staff, can it get any more ridiculous and bizarre than that

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Rejean Houle as President of the Canadiens Alumni Association is the only "old guard" Hab involved in the organization since Bergevin took office. When it comes to the 80s and 90s teams, the only ones would be Muller, Daignault, Bordeleau, and Ramage (at least two of them have personal history with Bergevin). Audette and Bouillon would be 00s guys. Every other former player didn't play in Montreal (Bergevin, Mellanby, Lapointe, Burke, Churla, Lefebvre) and as you can see there's a lot of them.

It really makes you wonder if Bergevin wanted to avoid having a person from the 70s dynasty involved, since it would be hard to win a political battle with a guy like Larry Robinson on what direction the team should go. Much easier to win that argument if it's an old buddy like J.J.

I'm not saying having someone formerly from the club is an automatic advantage. It's just interesting that even when you look at the resumes of the former players, the only guy with some real credibility was Kirk Muller, and he was here prior to Bergevin with the Gainey organization. When they need a skills consultant they don't goto Alex Kovalev or Pierre Turgeon, they goto Sebastien Bordeleau? When they need guys for player development they goto Rampage Ramage and Cube? Why is Guy Lapointe working for the Minnesota Wild and Larry Robinson working with the St. Louis Blues? Why when Mike Komisarek and Blake Geoffrion were looking for jobs, they stayed away from Montreal?

I can't be the only one realizing that former Habs stay away from the team these days, and the closest they get to it is a media job. Doesn't feel like a coincidence.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
And that is the issue. You actually don't need the very best coach. Different coaches win coach of the year each year.

The issue is getting a coach with the right philosophy. A coach like Demers, Gallant, Paul Maurice etc.

Rigid coaches who can hold a quarter between their butt cheeks like Martin and MT, perhaps CJ are not the types of coaches we should get anymore. Twenty five years of failure makes that loud and clear. Surely to God there must be a French speaking coach who trusts players and let's players play , instead of playing Chess Master with their ultra defensive systems.

So just get a good French coach with the right philosophy.

Or just get the best coach and GM available, winning cures everything. Where would we be today with a tandem of Steve Yzerman and Gerard Gallant? It's not just the french language requirement that holds us back, it's the mentality that we can only win a certain way, players can only act a certain way, God forbid that either of them shows creativity or a bit of personality on and off the ice. It's like we draft these guys and put them under a microscope and once the little cracks appear the guy is driven out of town. This rinse and repeat is tired and old and it will be interesting to see how things are actually different this year, being a sceptic of Bergevin I expect more of the same.

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Or just get the best coach and GM available, winning cures everything. Where would we be today with a tandem of Steve Yzerman and Gerard Gallant? It's not just the french language requirement that holds us back, it's the mentality that we can only win a certain way, players can only act a certain way, God forbid that either of them shows creativity or a bit of personality on and off the ice. It's like we draft these guys and put them under a microscope and once the little cracks appear the guy is driven out of town. This rinse and repeat is tired and old and it will be interesting to see how things are actually different this year, being a sceptic of Bergevin I expect more of the same.

I know I heard that Steve Yzerman was disappointed about not getting a shot at the Habs GM position when Gauthier was "hired"

Why cave to that kind of pandering by the media when you know the majority wouldn't give two ##### if the team was winning?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
From what I heard, Michel Therrien was to interview Larry Robinson, but their schedules couldn't match up.
Now, picture this scenario, Michel Therrien, had to interview, (yes interview), hall of fame hockey player Larry Robinson, Stanley Cup winning coach, Larry Robinson, to see if he's qualified to be on his staff, can it get any more ridiculous and bizarre than that

This along with so many other decisions that make us scratch our heads have turned us into a laughing stock. We protected Jordie Beard in the expansion draft and replaced Markov and Radulov with Hemsky and Streit and that was just this past summer! Why would any hockey fan francophone or anglophone want clowns like these destroying their hockey team? We are years from competitiveness just because of Bergevin and his cronies and it didn't have to be!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This along with so many other decisions that make us scratch our heads have turned us into a laughing stock. We protected Jordie Beard in the expansion draft and replaced Markov and Radulov with Hemsky and Streit and that was just this past summer! Why would any hockey fan francophone or anglophone want clowns like these destroying their hockey team? We are years from competitiveness just because of Bergevin and his cronies and it didn't have to be!

But Molson will leave no stone unturned! We'll have better food and beverage!

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Everyone should learn the primary language of the place they are working and living. If i'm moving to California i'll learn proper english.

Sorry but learning a 2nd language is not something that hard and it's not a death sentence. Come on just learn the damn language or the place you are living it's not that hard and it's a sign of respect. Of course it can take at least 5 years to be able to talk it well enough for an interview but if you show signs of progress and can speak a few words people will respect you and accept you. If you don't give a **** then people wont give a **** either.

I speak relatively well in english and i'm starting to learn spanish. Speaking more than one language is not a doom.

We bitch about how we place too much importance on French when it comes to hiring the best coach available...now we're ready to hire an English speaking one but only if he takes French courses? Progress I guess...1 step forward, two steps back.

Habs fans in a nutshell.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Yes how ****ed up to respect the VAST majority of paying customers who are... drum roll... french-speaking.

This is why we'll never have the best possible coach...language > talent.

Who gives a flying f*** what language he speaks? not the end of the world if we can't understand his live press conferences

Reactions: habs73

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Dude, I don't value your opinion, so move on. Thank you.

Like I give a f*** lol

Sorry if my importance of the French language when it comes to hiring a coach doesn't mesh with your narrow-mindedness...now I'm going to go cry myself a river because you don't value my opinion.

Hire the best coach available whether he speaks French or not! No need to force him to learn French, politics will surely drive guys away.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
This is why we'll never have the best possible coach...language > talent.

Who gives a flying **** what language he speaks? not the end of the world if we can't understand his live press conferences

Youre the one making it mutually exclusive when it's not.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Youre the one making it mutually exclusive when it's not.

No, I'm just calling the language 'problem' dumb anytime a poster brings it up because they're buying in to the mentality the media is feeding them. How about we just call the media dumb instead and not push their agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest