• Be patient

• Keep him is doing a good job

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
You're kidding right? No one should be forced to learn a language.

This ****ed up mentality is only exclusive to Montreal fans and French Quebeckers it seems.

Yes how f***ed up to respect the VAST majority of paying customers who are... drum roll... french-speaking.

Reactions: Runner77

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Everyone should learn the primary language of the place they are working and living. If i'm moving to California i'll learn proper english.

Sorry but learning a 2nd language is not something that hard and it's not a death sentence. Come on just learn the damn language or the place you are living it's not that hard and it's a sign of respect. Of course it can take at least 5 years to be able to talk it well enough for an interview but if you show signs of progress and can speak a few words people will respect you and accept you. If you don't give a **** then people wont give a **** either.

I speak relatively well in english and i'm starting to learn spanish. Speaking more than one language is not a doom.
Pretty sure Gallant would've been open about learning basic french too so it's all a moot point IMO

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Everyone should learn the primary language of the place they are working and living. If i'm moving to California i'll learn proper english.

Sorry but learning a 2nd language is not something that hard and it's not a death sentence. Come on just learn the damn language or the place you are living it's not that hard and it's a sign of respect. Of course it can take at least 5 years to be able to talk it well enough for an interview but if you show signs of progress and can speak a few words people will respect you and accept you. If you don't give a **** then people wont give a **** either.

I speak relatively well in english and i'm starting to learn spanish. Speaking more than one language is not a doom.

Coaching a hockey team is already a 80+ hours per week job. Learning an other language is just useless additional burden for a competent candidate.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Yes how ****ed up to respect the VAST majority of paying customers who are... drum roll... french-speaking.

I'm quite sure that most of the First-Language French posters here that have commented have been on the "hire the best person available" side of things. This hiring policy is the offspring of the capitulation of Molson to a handful of rabble rousers.

By the way, how effective in terms of winning has this policy been?

There's not a poster here who doesn't want a francophone coach or GM if he is the best man for the job.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Coaching a hockey team is already a 80+ hours per week job. Learning an other language is just useless additional burden for a competent candidate.

The best way to learn a language is immersion. Just talk it with the journalists and you'll learn it.

I learned to speak English while playing wow in a top 10 server group (medium population server). Playing wow in a top group is a 30 to 40 hours a week job on top of having another job. Still did not prevent me front learning English by speaking it with the few people in the guild who did not speak french (was a primarily french speaking guild).

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If the real Madrid call me and offer me the head coach job you better believe I'll learn spanish or whatever

If they offered me the job, I'd accept and not learn the language.

The only time I would learn a new language for a job is if the language of the organization is different.

Language of the NHL is English.
Coaches are required to speak English.
Players are required to speak English.

Learning French for one NHL job so I can make Guy LaFrance from Quebec City happy is a severe waste of my time.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta

Some people have a facility for learning other languages and some don't. Besides which, the job is to win games, not excel at languages. The technology exists to provide simultaneous translation anyway. This is about politics more than practicality and always has been. When the Expos were around no one assumed that the manager had to speak French. Same with the Als. Why should we assume it in hockey? There are fewer francophone players in the league today than ever before. Out of nearly 800 players you might have 50-100 francophones. The percentage in the coaching and managerial ranks is even lower. All you do by having these stupid arbitrary rules is limit your ability to hire or retain the best possible people.

Vladimir Guerrerro couldn't speak English or French. Nobody cared. Nobody loved Anthony Calvillo or Ben Cahoon any less because they couldn't speak French. And the fact that clowns like Claude Brochu or Michel Therrien were francophone didn't make people hate them any less either. It's about (or should be about) winning. "Winning uber alles".

Francophone fans need to accept the reality that the NHL is no longer a place where Quebec-born players or coaches take up as much space as they used to. Their numbers as a percentage of the overall league, gets smaller every year and it's not going to change. So any team that limits itself to hiring only from that tiny pool of talent is doomed. Doomed, I tells ya.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The best way to learn a language is immersion. Just talk it with the journalists and you'll learn it.

I learned to speak English while playing wow in a top 10 server group (medium population server). Playing wow in a top group is a 30 to 40 hours a week job on top of having another job. Still did not prevent me front learning English by speaking it with the few people in the guild who did not speak french (was a primarily french speaking guild).

giphy.gif

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Thanks. So the Habs did make a request for an interview, but preferred to dole out 5 years to Julien instead. That Julien contract ain't gonna age well.
The only reason it wasn't a dogs lunch out of the gate is because we had no where to go but up compared to The Rein.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

We are still waiting on Bergie to learn something beyond caveman speak.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I'm quite sure that most of the First-Language French posters here that have commented have been on the "hire the best person available" side of things. This hiring policy is the offspring of the capitulation of Molson to a handful of rabble rousers.

There's not a poster here who doesn't want a francophone coach or GM if he is the best man for the job.
I would hire someone Chinese if she could communicate enough to assemble a winning team. Its not like we are getting anything worth while, in any language, at our press conferences.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Based on what we have endured for the last 6 years I would say it has been an embarrassment. Gerard Gallant could not be coach here and that is sad seeing how the man has been good in both positions he has had since leaving here. He has taken an expansion team to the finals and is telling the media that he allows players to learn from mistakes instead of riding the bench or sitting in the press box because of them, is this even real life? Can any of you see that type of answer from Therrien in the way he handled Subban, Galchenyuk and Eller just to name 3 players? What could the core of players we had in 2013 been under a coach like that?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Based on what we have endured for the last 6 years I would say it has been an embarrassment. Gerard Gallant could not be coach here and that is sad seeing how the man has been good in both positions he has had since leaving here. He has taken an expansion team to the finals and is telling the media that he allows players to learn from mistakes instead of riding the bench or sitting in the press box because of them, is this even real life? Can any of you see that type of answer from Therrien in the way he handled Subban, Galchenyuk and Eller just to name 3 players? What could the core of players we had in 2013 been under a coach like that?

And the guy who endorsed Therrien and went to war with him, he's being allowed to keep showering this franchise with his pearls of wisdom.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

And that is the issue. You actually don't need the very best coach. Different coaches win coach of the year each year.

The issue is getting a coach with the right philosophy. A coach like Demers, Gallant, Paul Maurice etc.

Rigid coaches who can hold a quarter between their butt cheeks like Martin and MT, perhaps CJ are not the types of coaches we should get anymore. Twenty five years of failure makes that loud and clear. Surely to God there must be a French speaking coach who trusts players and let's players play , instead of playing Chess Master with their ultra defensive systems.

So just get a good French coach with the right philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad