Managing the new site

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
The mobile site is almost unusable. I’ve done this half a dozen times and the ad is back usually the next time I visit.

On mobile I get pretty constant redirects in every thread to google amazon etc winner of a prize if I can answer a question. Any thoughts?

I did what they said earlier in the thread and I am still getting pop ups on my phone saying I have a virus, etc....I've disabled all sorts of stuff on my laptop so the pages will load...That means I can no longer read tweets or see videos that are imbedded...As an internet surfer of over 20 years I have to say this is one of the all time worst sites I have ever visited.

I’m on this site probably way more than i should be on my iPhone, but that pop up/ad is making this site miserable. I’ve done the fixes suggested previously in the thread, but it just keeps...coming...back.

I guess that means we all have malware on our phones. Right? Pretty much the same exact symptoms.

No one is taking about laptop/desktop. All smartphone issues.

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
Add another to the list. It is about every 30-40% page loads. This is the only site that I experience this.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I downloaded PhoneGuardian and I haven’t had the ad pop up since. I’m not an app or security expert, so I’m not sure if it’s that great. But working so far.

Took 4 reloads of the site to see this post. If this recommended app doesn’t work, I’m done here. Between a shit team and a bunch of shit hijackers, what’s the motivation?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I'd bet it's one of those hundreds of redirects on any given thread page, but I haven't been able to trigger this complaint anyway whether online (sponsor) or lurking, as I only see banner, Insticator, and sidebar ads. Banner's slow to load and the recurring poll countdown is worthless, but they're not malicious, fullscreen, redirects, or pop-unders. If anyone's triggering them while lurking, I'll try and replicate your device conditions. I have my doubts that it's malware if it's only this website that users are experiencing these annoyances.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I'd bet it's one of those hundreds of redirects on any given thread page, but I haven't been able to trigger this complaint anyway whether online (sponsor) or lurking, as I only see banner, Insticator, and sidebar ads. Banner's slow to load and the recurring poll countdown is worthless, but they're not malicious, fullscreen, redirects, or pop-unders. If anyone's triggering them while lurking, I'll try and replicate your device conditions. I have my doubts that it's malware if it's only this website that users are experiencing these annoyances.
I never got it anywhere else on the internet. This is the only site.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Add another to the list. I've never had a problem on desktop and the site is nearly unusable on android. It's the same popups everyone else is mentioning, and this is the only site I've seen them on. I've done the whole cache/cookies dance and they still show up. It's not local malware, whatever mobile ad service HFBoards uses is toxic.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I was able to reproduce this on older android phone. It's easy to eliminate.

Chrome Canary eliminates the popups and redirects. It's labeled "unstable". I've never had a problem with it. They update it frequently. There's no need to uninstall your existing version of Chrome.
Firefox + uBlock is another way to eliminate it.

It doesn't occur on my project Fi phone running Oreo with the latest patches.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
I was able to reproduce this on older android phone. It's easy to eliminate.

Chrome Canary eliminates the popups and redirects. It's labeled "unstable". I've never had a problem with it. They update it frequently. There's no need to uninstall your existing version of Chrome.
Firefox + uBlock is another way to eliminate it.

It doesn't occur on my project Fi phone running Oreo with the latest patches.

Canary didn't do it for me. I downloaded Canary and browsed the site a bit to test it out. Got thrown to an ad site on my first click, and then after my second click on another attempt.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was like popups on some uh seedier websites where it opened the ad in a new tab and left your page intact, but this thing takes over the page you're on so you have to close out and then start fresh on a new page. It's incredibly frustrating.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
Same thing here. Android 7 Galaxy 8, only site that gives me this stuff. It makes the site nearly unusable.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I gave sponsorships x 3 mos to those reporting issues. Forum should no ads when logged in on mobile/desktop. Let me know if that get rid of the mobile popups/redirects.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I gave sponsorships x 3 mos to those reporting issues. Forum should no ads when logged in on mobile/desktop. Let me know if that get rid of the mobile popups/redirects.
Since you did this for me a while back I've never seen another one of those redirects. Been using the stock android chrome browser. One of the canary updates kept crashing for me.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
When I’m logged in ... it happens way less.

When I’m browsing threads without being logged in, the pop ups are quite prolific and obnoxious.

I’ll report back in a day or two to see if anything has changed.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Thanks Buffaloed, that worked like a charm. I've been on the site a lot today and have not had an issue. I'll let you know if anything changes but for now that seems to have done it.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I’m getting this farking pop-up on HFBoards that hijacks my browser (Google Chrome on iPhone) damn near every time!!!

View media item 1113
It’s driving me nuts! It only happens on HFBoards and not other sites.

If it keeps up I won’t come here anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad