Managing the new site

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Mods, I thought there was a thread about navigating the new site but I don't see it. As I type this I'm constantly losing my cursor, the page bumps me down and out of the type box, and my Adblock Plus is racking up over 200 blocked ads. Two video ads on the right side of the page slow things down and I can't find a way to block them. Is there something different I should be doing to make this site more usable, because for now I may resort to reading only or giving up.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
@Sabresfansince1980 You're looking for the OT Changes thread on page two for general discussion on the matter, so they'll probably merge this into that, but for any problematic ads you'll want to use the "Contact Us" footer to send in a support/complaint ticket. Mods hands are tied when it comes to how ads are served. You could try uBO/Extra as opposed to ABP or disabling JavaScript, as that's had success across team threads like these.
As for the page responsiveness, browser extensions can help, while disabling JavaScript will help tremendously if you can live without media embeds and the rich text editor. There seems to be a trend of included bloat from Crave across their sites. Here they definitely score poorly in page speed (~25s), size (~12-15MB), and requests (~1200-1500). Simply improving to mirror Sherdog's state, which migrated in December 2015, doesn't really encourage me either. I mean, sketchy and streaming sites likely score significantly better even if they're still scoring terribly because it's that bad here at present. To illustrate: https://gtmetrix.com/compare/wbgRxy0y/rGhRy4F3/H4AwI5JY

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I use noscript. works great. you may need to play a little with it to get the site to work, but it gets rid of everything used with ABP.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Its ridiculous. I have to close all tabs before I attempt to stream or playing online games as this website on desktop kills either my pc or my internet. Thanks for noscript suggestion, will try it. Adblock/Ublock didnt do anything for me to stop it.

Is something being done about the tweet embeds, I think they were still showing as halftweets up to yesterday?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I use Google Chrome, and just sorted through various additional ad blocker extensions. In addition to Adblock Plus, I installed...

Adguard Adblocker
uBlock
uBlock Plus Adblocker

So far I'm getting no still ad along the top, and no video ads on the right side. ABP was showing over 200 blocked ads when loading some pages, now the combined blocked ads of the four extensions is under 20. I was able to type this post in under four minutes, as opposed to the ten + mins it was taking before from getting kicked out of the type box repeatedly. When I have more time I'll try Noscript also.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
AdBlock Plus and uBlock Origin seem to handle 99% of the ad issues (although that reminds me I should just sponsor to get around that here), and Flashcontrol to block that, but it seems like the Javascript bits are the MUCH larger bloat here. I've used ScriptBlock for this in the past, will apply that here and see what the difference is.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
OMG. I am such a dinosaur and have virtually no idea what most of you are talking about. I use AdBlock on my MacBook Air and everything works fine for me. Of course I don't embed images or twitter feeds or any of that other stuff.

After using MS/PC products for decades in the workplace, when I retired I went simple (yeah and expensive) and bought into the Apple Ecosystem. Even tho ideologically, they and I are on pretty much opposite pages (Chinese labor, etc..).

Both sons just shake their heads at my IT choices..... They just love all the tinkering that one can do on PCs. Heck, I can barely remember my passwords when the auto file doesn't get accessed because somebody just "upgraded" their web site.... :laugh:

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
This thread just saved me from abandoning the site. All of the ads that AdBlock missed were slowing down my PC so much that my other programs were struggling. All better now.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
If you're using Chrome, Go to settings, add http://hfboards.mandatory.com to the block list for java and flash. It fixes everything and also stops ads from running. Specific instructions are in the OT thread.
I just switched over to trying this instead of firefox. I liked chrome a lot, but when I changed companies a few years ago, they had it locked down and I couldn't do anything with it.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
This site got my roommate killed in league of legends
This made me laugh hard because for some reason I mentally imposed reality on it instead of video gaming.

Site loads ok enough for me, but I have Chrome and the corporate settings appear to be adequate.

I am an IT novice, but adding this site to the Java block list will block embedded tweets.

I like typing replies in Courier or whatever font it is, but hate reading posts in sans-serif fonts. But that's a personal issue, and I'm old school.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
OMG. I am such a dinosaur and have virtually no idea what most of you are talking about. I use AdBlock on my MacBook Air and everything works fine for me. Of course I don't embed images or twitter feeds or any of that other stuff.

After using MS/PC products for decades in the workplace, when I retired I went simple (yeah and expensive) and bought into the Apple Ecosystem. Even tho ideologically, they and I are on pretty much opposite pages (Chinese labor, etc..).

Both sons just shake their heads at my IT choices..... They just love all the tinkering that one can do on PCs. Heck, I can barely remember my passwords when the auto file doesn't get accessed because somebody just "upgraded" their web site.... :laugh:

Adblock used to be enough gold standard, but then they started accepting money to let ‘acceptable ads’ through, and some of those decisions have been questionable to me.

The JavaScript stuff is just little background quality of life things, but aggregated together they can really bring a browser to its knees.

I have a weird relationship with ad blocking, given then my salary is paid primarily by online ad revenues. ( I work for Yahoo.) So I try to find the balance between letting people get paid, and being able to use the freaking website I want to use. :)

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Adblock used to be enough gold standard, but then they started accepting money to let ‘acceptable ads’ through, and some of those decisions have been questionable to me.

The JavaScript stuff is just little background quality of life things, but aggregated together they can really bring a browser to its knees.

I have a weird relationship with ad blocking, given then my salary is paid primarily by online ad revenues. ( I work for Yahoo.) So I try to find the balance between letting people get paid, and being able to use the freaking website I want to use. :)

Your ethical stance is sincerely appreciated! (So are the tech explanations!) :thumbu:

Reactions: SackTastic

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Firefox+AdBlock Plus+NoScript is working wonders. Takes some setting up though, if you frequent many sites.

EDIT: Too bad it's so ridiculous, I actually like enabling ads on sites I use a lot. HF used to be one of them but boy... I gave an inch and they took a mile.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Guys just use Brave browser, its lightning fast has built in blocker and you can toggle on or off the shield with ease.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
I can honestly say I come here to post less this season versus last and it's 100% because of how terrible it is now. I can deal with 5 losses to open the season or the constant Reinhart debates because neither are as bad as this eyesore. :laugh:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
If you're using Chrome, Go to settings, add http://hfboards.mandatory.com to the block list for java and flash. It fixes everything and also stops ads from running. Specific instructions are in the OT thread.

I just got done with this. The last few times on the site my various adblockers were showing blocked ads up into the 100s, and even though it was like night and day there was still some slight lag time loading and navigating pages. Now after adding the above url to the block list of java and flash, there is no lag time and my adblockers show just one blocked ad.

For those that would like to go this route and aren't computer savy...

Click on upper right corner of chrome (dot dot dot icon), choose settings, click on "advanced" at the bottom, in the "Privacy and Security" box choose "content settings", click on JavaScript, choose "block", and paste the above url, click on flash, "block", and do the same thing.

Thanks for all the additional info from everyone.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Anyone know how to block javascript just for a specific site in mobile chrome? Seems like I can just turn it off for all sites and add exceptions, not the other way around (on by default and blocked for specific sites).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad