Managing the new site

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Yeah this site freezes a lot on pc and usually have to close it and reopen it. Its like a memory leak for some reason probably ads but I use adblock.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
How can i block all the gifs & tweet embeds? using firefox on windows 10, have adblock+.

ty.

dang111

Oct 20, 2017
If you're using Chrome, Go to settings, add http://hfboards.mandatory.com to the block list for java and flash. It fixes everything and also stops ads from running. Specific instructions are in the OT thread.

Long time lurker here. Signed up just to say this advice is great. Had nearly stopped coming to the boards altogether. Now it's 1000x better.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
How can i block all the gifs & tweet embeds? using firefox on windows 10, have adblock+.
Filter Preferences > Custom Filters > Add filter (x2). The first line below will kill gfycat embeds, while second kills tweet embeds. Add each of those to your custom rules, then make sure they're enabled.

||gfycat.com/iframe/*
||s9e.github.io/iframe/twitter.min.html

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Anyone know how to block javascript just for a specific site in mobile chrome? Seems like I can just turn it off for all sites and add exceptions, not the other way around (on by default and blocked for specific sites).
This is actually why I liked firefox with noscript better. Chrome is great, but it's a hammer. I haven't figured out a way yet to show the tweets, which are a heavily used post feature by this community.

But no script shows the element with a script through it and you right-click (windows) to add to the allow list.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I run chrome with ublock and I've added the site to the block list for flash, I decided to allow all javascript. The site gets a little laggy at times, but no where close to what it used to be, and I can still see all embedded tweets.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Serious question here: how do you put someone on ignore when they have that "This user limits who may see their profile" junk going on?

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
If you're using Chrome, Go to settings, add http://hfboards.mandatory.com to the block list for java and flash. It fixes everything and also stops ads from running. Specific instructions are in the OT thread.

Thank you, I blocked Flash and it's definitely running better. I noticed if you disable Java you can't quickly "like" posts anymore and the quote button goes away.

Reactions: JRiz13

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I'm at a crossroads with the site. Adblock/uBlock works fine, but if you don't disable javascript the place is a disaster and any browser window left open on it eventually starts to hang up. If you disable it for the site, you can't see anything embedded making me ask, what the hell's the point of a half-useable website?

Honestly I was thinking of becoming a member or whatever to help pay/get rid of ads, but I am highly skeptical that being a member fixes all the javascript bullshit going on.

Reactions: VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Pages with any kind of tweets on them are loading extremely slow...So slow I won't even bother reading the thread...Any idea if there is a fix ?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Pages with any kind of tweets on them are loading extremely slow...So slow I won't even bother reading the thread...Any idea if there is a fix ?

Disable java, as described above, for this website in your browser settings. You won't be able to read tweets or other embeded text, but the pages will load almost immediately and reading through the threads will be a breeze.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
AdCode (including tracking, targeting & adblock behavior) should be updated tomorrow by EOD. Your pre-migration settings should work as before.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
@Buffaloed

1) Is it possible to add a signature (text only, instead of text and/or image)? I searched and someone posted that functionality is gone with upgrade for "new signatures", but persisted for users with legacy signatures.

2) Been years since I've been to the Alabama Swamps. May have to check it out in a couple weeks when I'm back in WNY. IIRC, should be a good seasonal time for migratory observation.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Disable java, as described above, for this website in your browser settings. You won't be able to read tweets or other embeded text, but the pages will load almost immediately and reading through the threads will be a breeze.
Thanks, but kind of defeats the purpose.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
AdCode (including tracking, targeting & adblock behavior) should be updated tomorrow by EOD. Your pre-migration settings should work as before.

Just letting people know that I turned off blocking javascript and cleared my cache this afternoon and now the site is remarkably better than before and I can see embedded tweets (visiting the main board waiver wire thread without being able to see embedded tweets is...unhelpful).

I'm using Chrome and running uBlock Origin + Extra. I think I still have Flash blocked for hfboards.mandatory.com but nothing other than that. So it's worth a try if you're using Chrome and prefer to not have to block everything on the site to make it responsive.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
This still isn't completed. Probably because the job was flagged "urgent". If it had been flagged "easy-casual" a developer would have grabbed it. Someone is working on it now.
Also need to identify which ad is running the bad javascript and kill it.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
What's the best thing to do using your phone to help with the ads ?

Right now I just use the default phone browser which I think is called Samsung Internet. Should probably start using Chrome or something huh?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
What's the best thing to do using your phone to help with the ads ?

Right now I just use the default phone browser which I think is called Samsung Internet. Should probably start using Chrome or something huh?
Not sure if it's on iOS, but on Android I'm using something called UC Browser. A bunch of sites recommended it... seems like it's built around data saving and ad blocking. Been working well for me.

Reactions: Beerz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad