Mackinnon Vs Barkov

Mackinnon Vs Barkov

• Mackinnon

• Barkov

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Crosby has been a pretty "fragile" player in the past. McDavid and Matthews haven't A)been in the league long enough to be considered fragile yet and B) haven't been missing games consistently. Yes McDavid missed half the season his rookie year but he also has played a full season, something Barkov can yet claim to have done in 4 seasons, not 2 and a half. So yes I think it's more than fair to call Barkov a fragile player if he's going to miss ~20 games a year, but that doesn't mean Barkov is a bad player.

"Crosby has been a pretty fragile player IN THE PAST." That would imply he is no longer fragile. Which would imply that missing games in the past has no reflection on the current status of a players health. Yet you say Barkov is however fragile now because he missed games years ago and ONE GAME this season. Interesting logic. Barkov right now is healthier than Matthews. Guess Matthews must be COMPLETELY shattered...

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
"Crosby has been a pretty fragile player IN THE PAST." That would imply he is no longer fragile. Which would imply that missing games in the past has no reflection on the current status of a players health. Yet you say Barkov is however fragile now because he missed games years ago and ONE GAME this season. Interesting logic. Barkov right now is healthier than Matthews. Guess Matthews must be COMPLETELY shattered...

Crosby in the last 4 years has missed an average of 4 games per season. Not very fragile, Barkov has missed like 17-18 games a year on average, that's a big difference. But yes he's been healthy this season so far, but there's still another ~50 games to go well see if he can make it the rest of the way.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
My favorite thing about this thread is the guy who keeps repeating the Avs/MacKinnon were successful on home ice like that means it doesn't count...when the Avs just beat the Panthers on the road last Saturday! He scored in that game too. :laugh: Barkov was, as is now customary, injured...

Does striking gold on a second overall ultra elite talent with super-intangibles (Toews, eat your heart out!) make up for burning a first overall pick on Ekblad? Just wondering.
L. O. (freaking) L.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Mac is more explosive. Barkov has the better brain and size. Yes the injuries are a factor, but I'd rather gamble on the guy I think has the better package at this point. That's Barkov.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It seems to me that you can't really go wrong with either. Barkov is a big, two-way center that could develop along the lines of a Kopitar. Obviously, he would be a franchise cornerstone in that role.

MacKinnon is a more dynamic scorer and driver of offense, but I am not sure who I would compare him to long term.

In either event, it seems like both fan bases should be happy.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It seems to me that you can't really go wrong with either. Barkov is a big, two-way center that could develop along the lines of a Kopitar. Obviously, he would be a franchise cornerstone in that role.

MacKinnon is a more dynamic scorer and driver of offense, but I am not sure who I would compare him to long term.

In either event, it seems like both fan bases should be happy.

A more explosive & less d**chie pre-knee-injury Roenick

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Hmm, Mac. really wanted barkov when sakic said they were going to take him but, id pick mac again just way to much talent and hes finally got a team around him that can produce abit.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
We can throw hundreds of facts and numbers but we ain't gonna get Barkov fans to like MacKinnon more or MacKinnon fans to like Barkov more...
So it all comes down to which one of these franchise center caliber players you prefer.
Big, strong, skilled two way monster with high hockey IQ or fast, strong, skilled high octane offensive force who can outplay the opponent d multiple ways. Think about a team that could have them both 1-2 punch. Glorious...

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
You are losing patience with a 22 year old who won the Calder trophy and makes every Avs game this season worth watching single handedly?

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Im obviously bias so gonna pick Mackinnon but honestly if you look at what they've done so far in the nhl barkov does has the edge.

Mackinnon's really starting to breakout though so I don't think you can say ainec either way. Both probably top 10 centers real soon, if not already

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Love Barkov dearly (believed he was who the Avs would draft with the #2 pick, which Sakic even confirmed at one point).

One of the great values of HFboards though are threads like these with all the "Barkov AINEC" comments to so clearly demonstrate how folks just don't get to see Mack enough to understand whats happening here. Its special and fun to be a part of. Somehow the Calder win and playoff domination at 18 went down a memory hole. With Rantanen on his wing, the highest scoring Finn in the nHL, its time to enjoy the show.

Its unfair to hold injuries against a player, could happen to anyone. Forsberg was robbed the back 9 of his career by a bad ankle.

Reactions: RareDangles

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Answer is the same as a couple years ago.

Both great players.

Mack is more explosive and will get more points, Barkov is a more rounded player.

Can't go wrong here

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Don't even count MacKinnon's previous years when voting because his development was slowed down by a coach like Roy. If MacKinnon had a better coach since coming into the league, he'd be outplaying Barkov now career wise and not just this year

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Voted for Barkov just in order to see the results, but if I take my Finnish homer glasses off, it is too early to tell tbh. Both are looking great.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Mackinnon. I doubt Barkov will ever reach the level Mack is at right now. Then again, I have my doubts whether Mack can be this incredible in other seasons.

Mackinnon is better now and has the higher ceiling.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Mackinnon. I doubt Barkov will ever reach the level Mack is at right now. Then again, I have my doubts whether Mack can be this incredible in other seasons.

Mackinnon is better now and has the higher ceiling.

This is the right answer IMO. MacK is better this season and has looked lights out but we need to see if this is sustainable. If so, then it becomes a no brainer I think but if not, then things become interesting.

The question will always be, how many points does MacK need to score to outweigh Barkov's two way advantage and how big of an advantage really is that? These two players will sort of always be tied together IMO.

Last edited:

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I'm going with Nathan. He is a big-time offensive force. Aleksander is a very good player too but gimme Mack on this 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad