Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Well Laughton is okay and they’re getting a perceived top pairing d man. I think it’s actually an amazing return and they won’t do any better

There will be GMs that still love him and GMs that think he’s a liability, like any player. The hope is a GM that still loves him sees a need.
Chychrun has one year left and I believe the Flyers are still rebuilding. I think the 12th overall is more valuable to them. So, it doesn’t really have anything to do with Philly not doing any better. I don’t think one year of Chychrun is enticing enough for them to alter their long term plan. Of lesser importance is that Chychrun didn’t play on our top pair either. JMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: lancepitlick

Emerica

May 29, 2010
So, Dobbers has UFA contract projections, not sure how reliable they are but...

RD
DeMelo: 4.57
Pesce: 4.3
Walker: 2.76
Roy: 2.76
Dumba: 2.62
Tanev: 2.55

I would offer any of them that, lol. I'm guessing most of them get more tbh,

Of note,
Brannstrom: 2.01
Yeah i’m gonna take the over on all of these :laugh:

Reactions: h2owned

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Who says no

To Toronto
Chychrun

To Vegas
Marner (SJ retains 50% post bonus)

To SJ
Ott 2024 3rd
Forsberg
SJ 2025 3rd from Vegas

To Ottawa
Hague
Whitecloud

Reactions: Loach

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Who says no

To Toronto
Chychrun

To Vegas

To SJ
Ott 2024 3rd
Forsberg
SJ 2025 3rd from Vegas

To Ottawa
Hague
Whitecloud
Probably Chicago since they own our third and aren't getting anything out of this

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Who says no

To Toronto
Chychrun

To Vegas

To SJ
Ott 2024 3rd
Forsberg
SJ 2025 3rd from Vegas

To Ottawa
Hague
Whitecloud

San Jose has actually used up all their retention spots on Burns, EK and Hertl, so they would have to say no.

If Toronto could get Hague and Whitecloud for Marner I don't know why we'd even be involved.

I'd take either of those two over Chychrun given their superior contract status.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
San Jose has actually used up all their retention spots on Burns, EK and Hertl, so they would have to say no.

If Toronto could get Hague and Whitecloud for Marner I don't know why we'd even be involved.

I'd take either of those two over Chychrun given their superior contract status.
Toronto needs a hammer from the point on the PP, Reilly has shown it’s not him. Treliving has to avoid going all in on grit on the back end, you still need some offence. They have Reilly and Benoit locked up on the left side and I think Chychrun would be ideal for them.

Replace SJ with Chicago since the dollars are low and it’s just cap space for assets.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If blue jackets aren’t trading for a star they’ll want a first + back for Jenner. Not Joseph imo.

Same for Philly.

I think chychrun is going the other way in either of those deals
Well my thought was the plus would be the Boston 1st, Joseph is included primarily for the dollars but he's still a reasonable asset teams would appreciate.

The point was less about getting those guys and more anout providing an example of a scenario where it makes sense for us to move Joseph.

I could see Chychrun for Jenner, and then ship Joseph somewhere for futures,

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
It seems like a fairly ideal trade could be had with the St Louis Blues. The main component of the deal would essentially be Josh Norris and Jakub Chychrun for Brayden Schenn and Colton Parayko.

Reactions: Dionysus

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Colton Parayko was linked to the Sens a month or so before the Chychrun trade, and it was shot down quickly on the basis that he has a full NTC and isn't going to waive it to come to Ottawa. There was some talk that the only Canadian destinations he'd consider are the Alberta teams because they're close to home. It's probably going to be much the same for Brayden Schenn.

This is the problem Staios is going to face, and it's the same problem Dorion faced. When you talk about adding veteran talent, those guys either have trade protection or they are UFA's that can choose their destination. These players typically don't want to be in Ottawa.

People like to say Dorion didn't understand the value of having good veterans during a rebuild, but I don't think that's accurate. In the STH sessions he made numerous references to how difficult it was to get players to come to Ottawa. It was much more difficult than he anticipated when he took the job.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Colton Parayko was linked to the Sens a month or so before the Chychrun trade, and it was shot down quickly on the basis that he has a full NTC and isn't going to waive it to come to Ottawa. There was some talk that the only Canadian destinations he'd consider are the Alberta teams because they're close to home. It's probably going to be much the same for Brayden Schenn.

This is the problem Staios is going to face, and it's the same problem Dorion faced. When you talk about adding veteran talent, those guys either have trade protection or they are UFA's that can choose their destination. These players typically don't want to be in Ottawa.

People like to say Dorion didn't understand the value of having good veterans during a rebuild, but I don't think that's accurate. In the STH sessions he made numerous references to how difficult it was to get players to come to Ottawa. It was much more difficult than he anticipated when he took the job.

Some of those free agent veterans can be acquired, but at a higher cost. Tarasenko is a good example.
You're cutting Dorion too much slack, he made some questionable choices when handing out contracts to questionable vets like Stepan for example.
Most of the guys available during free agency are journeymen who will pack it up and go wherever will pay them well. Ottawa needs to pay more than most cities in the NHL due to taxes, weather and as of late the team's standings.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Some of those free agent veterans can be acquired, but at a higher cost. Tarasenko is a good example.
You're cutting Dorion too much slack, he made some questionable choices when handing out contracts to questionable vets like Stepan for example.
Most of the guys available during free agency are journeymen who will pack it up and go wherever will pay them well. Ottawa needs to pay more than most cities in the NHL due to taxes, weather and as of late the team's standings.
Tarasenko plugged his nose and took an Ottawa vacation for 6 months. I think it's pretty clear that this was his last choice; the guy turned down a long-term deal with the Sens at the beginning of free agency because he thought something better would come along but it never did.

In the end, the terms that Dorion had to give him to come here were extremely player-friendly. A 1-year deal at 5M with a full NTC so he could land himself where he truly wanted to be when the deadline rolls around. I don't even know how much the team benefited from having him. The on-ice results didn't improve, his contract put the team in a cap bind, and since he had trade protection we couldn't even really cash him in at the deadline. He was a mature pro when he was here, but ultimately it probably wasn't worth the investment.

Dorion didn't give Derek Stepan a contract. He was a guy they had to trade for because they couldn't fill holes any other way, which is kind of my point. If Stepan had a say in the process he would have never ended up in Ottawa, which was clear when he did his introductory press conference on Zoom and he looked like ones of those hostages in an ISIS video reading a prepared statement.

I think when people say you can just overpay a guy and he'll come to Ottawa it's a bit simplistic. The way Dorion presented the situation is that it was more like players didn't even want to hear his pitch because they had already decided they didn't want to play in Canada, or they didn't want to be part of a rebuild, or they didn't want to play for a team that was going to serve them boxed quesadillas in a chafing dish for the post-game meal, or whatever else.

One of the biggest tasks facing Andlauer and Staios is going to be rebuilding the reputation of the Ottawa Senators organization, and it's going to take years.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

So my question to you is, if Lohrei continues to develop and Boston goes for retool do you entertain any conversations around Brady Tkachuk for McAvoy as he is locked up long term?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
So my question to you is, if Lohrei continues to develop and Boston goes for retool do you entertain any conversations around Brady Tkachuk for McAvoy as he is locked up long term?
Honestly…I’m not against it. The idea of having McAvoy and Sanderson as part of the d-corps for the next 6 years should be enticing to anyone.

Reactions: Duncstar

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Honestly…I’m not against it. The idea of having McAvoy and Sanderson as part of the d-corps for the next 6 years should be enticing to anyone.

I honestly don't waste time discussing elite players in trades unless it's for a 1 for 1 and there's rationale. Most Bruins fans don't like it but some see the desperate need for a true 1st line C and I think it takes a guy like McAvoy (signed longterm, top pairing / top 10 D) in order to get a guy like Tkachuk.

Cheers

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

Both Hague and Whitecloud have really taken a step back this season. Maybe it was due to the cup hangover, but a lot fo Knight fans (me included) were really hoping that Hague would stop being put on the top pairing when Petro was injured. They do have better contract status since Hague is a rfa at the end of his contract and Whitecloud has like 4 years left on his contract, but i don't know if they are better players than Chychrun.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I wonder if San Jose buys out Couture.

There is going to be zero trade market for him. There aren't a lot of real money savings, but with San Jose in a rebuild, they might appreciate kicking some of the real money owed to him down the road.

He would be a 35+ contract. That would make him eligible for a performance bonus type contract. Meaning, we could kick most of his cap down the road to next season.

Doubtful he signs here, but I can't see him being in extremely high demand, and there are ties to the area via his time in the 67s. With Norris potentially hurt, there is also an opening for him in the top 6 if he delivers.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
I wonder if San Jose buys out Couture.

There is going to be zero trade market for him. There aren't a lot of real money savings, but with San Jose in a rebuild, they might appreciate kicking some of the real money owed to him down the road.

He would be a 35+ contract. That would make him eligible for a performance bonus type contract. Meaning, we could kick most of his cap down the road to next season.

Doubtful he signs here, but I can't see him being in extremely high demand, and there are ties to the area via his time in the 67s. With Norris potentially hurt, there is also an opening for him in the top 6 if he delivers.
So he's been linked to the Sens a few times; we've inquired about him last off season and if he gets fully cleared to play again I bet we inquire and SJS says hell ya. They can't retain though so it means you're moving out a Chabot OR Norris type piece to fit him in (he's also a C). If we delt Norris to BOS for say Ulmark it would make sense.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
So he's been linked to the Sens a few times; we've inquired about him last off season and if he gets fully cleared to play again I bet we inquire and SJS says hell ya. They can't retain though so it means you're moving out a Chabot OR Norris type piece to fit him in (he's also a C). If we delt Norris to BOS for say Ulmark it would make sense.
Re: Couture & trading Chabot or Norris

I would hope they use their draft trade bait/capital on positions of greater need e.g., RD, goalie.

Last edited:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

I can't see a trade for Couture that makes sense without retention, unless Norris is completely baked and they think he will be useless.

We're not trading for Couture of 5+ years ago, we're trading for a veteran presence who might be able to contribute but might not.

Free agency is different because we could do something like 1 year at a few million, with some of it being diverted to next year via paper performance bonuses. 8Mx3Y is too much.

Korpisalo for Couture is the closest thing, but even then, that's not something I would want to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad