LW Yevgeni Svechnikov (2015, 19th, DET)

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
After having a decent rookie season with 51 points in 74 games (going almost a PPG after the first 20 games or so) and having a similar playoff performance with 12 pts in 19 games, Svech is really struggling. He's got 4 points in 18 games this year. Really strange.
Super strange.

I wouldn't call it a decent rookie season either. That is a very good rookie season.

Reactions: 21 Savage

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Pulling an Emile Poirier. Has a good AHL season, then falls off a cliff his next season.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
he did have an upper body injury but it wasn't very serious, don't think that would explain his (lack of) production

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
he did have an upper body injury but it wasn't very serious, don't think that would explain his (lack of) production

It was a neck injury that kept him out quite a while. Not sure if it’s affecting him or not. Hopefully his production picks up. He was looking very good as the season went on last year.

Reactions: 21 Savage

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
We tried to warn you... ;)

Concerning but give it some time. He had 5 points in his first 20 last year before finishing with 46 in his last 51 and a decently impressive couple of games in the show.

Hopefully just a slow start due to his injury. Heard his conditioning was behind too. I still think he’s an NHLer. Maybe not a top 6 one, but he’s more well rounded than the typical Russian 1st rounder in terms of board play and back checking. Disappointing but we will see. Reminds me a lot of Virtanen’s struggles last year.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Russians going to CHL/AHL early instead of continuing development at home. Nothing to see here.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Is the coach asking him to play more of a shut-down role? That will effect production while he works on different elements of his game. Seen that many-a-time before.

Has Jim Devellano called him out in the press yet?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Russians who come to the CHL are usually not good enough to make a KHL roster.

Surely you know what I'm getting at?
Let me see... Not good enough to make the KHL roster at age 17? Yes, they are not Ovys, I give you that. How many are as good as Ovechkin? Normally no player is good enough to make the KHL at that age. They are not supposed to play in the KHL, but in the MHL which is a better option for them. Btw during the lockout Yakupov was looking okay in the KHL.

The ones that run off later are KHL players. Soshnikov, Paigin, Gurianov, Nichushkin and some more. They end up career AHLers or return and aren't even at the level at which they were by the time leaving. I give you Bogdan Yakimov. Invisible.

Sure, there are always players that aren't any good to have a pro career. But they are not the vast majority of top prospects a nation like Russia is producing. And that's what we see now. Numerous players from russian WJC rosters ending up in limbo. Goldobin, Kamenev, Tolchinskiy. How come not one of them works out? Their peers who stay in Russia seem to develop quite fine on the other hand.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
What exactly is going on with this kid?

He was once our best 1996 forward as an U-18, by a considerable margin. Now he wouldn't even make a hypothetical Team 1996 Russia. 6 points in 28 AHL games?:help: Damn son.

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

He was once our best 1996 forward as an U-18. Now he wouldn't even make a hypothetical Team 1996 Russia. 6 points in 28 AHL games?:help: Damn son.
Unfortunately it's looking like a lost season. He suffered a neck injury during camp and missed about a month of action, including most of preseason games. Other players such as Matt Puempel and Matt Lorito are having much better seasons so the coach is leaning on them more. With Bertuzzi getting promoted he'll likely start getting more ice time. Maybe he can finish the season on a high note.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
GR lost Nosek and Frk, which are pretty big losses. But other than that there havent been that many significant changes to the team from last year (added Pumpel) and somehow they go from champions to struggling at the bottom of the conference. Many guys on the team are slumping, not just him

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
GR lost Nosek and Frk, which are pretty big losses. But other than that there havent been that many significant changes to the team from last year (added Pumpel) and somehow they go from champions to struggling at the bottom of the conference. Many guys on the team are slumping, not just him
Um, they also lost Bertuzzi, Callahan, Criscuolo, Aubrey and Paetsch. Backup Cal Heeter was also very good last season. I don't disagree the current team is underperforming, but let's not pretend the roster didn't lose significant pieces this past offseason.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Andrei Svechnikov recently told that Yevgeni still didn't 100% recover from that injury. Hopefuly those goals in recent games is a sign that he is feeling better.

This was speculated on the wings board. Most figured it was still a pretty serious neck injury bugging him. Hes got 8 points his last 11 games now which is close to half his points this season really.

Likely a sign that his neck is healing up. Itll be interesting to see how he looks with the wings the next few games

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

He was once our best 1996 forward as an U-18, by a considerable margin. Now he wouldn't even make a hypothetical Team 1996 Russia. 6 points in 28 AHL games?:help: Damn son.
So just going off of this, he's got 22 points in 52 games, which means 16 points in his last 24.

That's much less... discouraging... in a decent sample size. But hopefully he can still improve

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Still young. Not getting much playing time. Look forward to him hopefully getting a full time shot next year... spending some time with Larkin or Zetterberg would do wonders to help see where his potential is really at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad